Overheating MN Triton

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Overheating MN Triton

Postby travr on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:33 pm

Only 42,000 still waiting for the local dealer to look at starting to annoy me
travr

Postby hvac guy on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:48 pm

As an idea can all the mn guys that have had overheating problems put there build date in as well
Then we will have good data on the issues and numbers to help with warranty claims.

as in kms on Speedo and build date on manufacturing plate.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:53 pm

Well i have been through all this with my work mates MN, Overheating, thermostat changed twice, overflow bottle filling daily, erratic gauge temps, steam.... Dealer finally relented ant had a real go at it. It was a blown head gasket and once repaired has never overheated again.
GLX-R Alex

Postby travr on Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:05 pm

funny you should mention the head gasket thats what the dealer here said today finally sad part is due to darwin being darwin the suspect the head gasket after testing now they have it booked for the 6th Nov to pull the head for conformation :roll: at this rate ill be lucky to get my car back by christmas.
travr

Postby The Woz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 7:53 am

2011 Triton MN GLX-R Build_Year: 08/2011 Automatic
7,500km when first overheating breakdown occurred during FIRST highway drive over 100km.
Taken to 6 dealerships. No one could find the problem.
Final result: replaced 3 thermostats, water pump, Fan, radiator, and Cracked head.
I think there is a design flaw or defect in my engine that can't be diagnosed.
Took 2.5 months to fix at the dealership!!

The problem was only when the Triton was driven over 200-300km. Local driving was fine. However I did experience poor acceleration when at traffic lights and vehicle was lacking power when driving around town. Automatic set to be in 5th gear at 50km with no power. This was the first automatic I have owned (so my wife could drive) and it was like driving a manual in 5th gear going 40km/hr. Transmission was checked and they said all good.

Here are some videos:

21km from the 6th dealership, they had the vehicle for 4 days. They also did the 15,000km service at the time. New sounds are now heard and problems now spread to other areas.

Problems Reported to Various Dealerships
Last edited by The Woz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:53 am, edited 6 times in total.
The Woz

Postby hvac guy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:10 am

So its still not fixed then?
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:12 am

There is a few I think where the problem is in the block not the head.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby The Woz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:15 am

I don't know if it is fixed... I don't have my vehicle back yet... I don't trust that the source of the problem has been fixed as everything that has been replaced have been trial and error (except cracked head). But a cracked head is generally a RESULT of a problem, not the source...

Corporate has not been cooperative thus far and even though I have been to 6 dealerships that could not find any problems.
Last edited by The Woz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Woz

Postby hvac guy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:21 am

What's vcat

That motor would be shagged after being overheated so many times
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby The Woz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:00 am

Last edited by The Woz on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Woz

Postby hvac guy on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:55 am

Sickem rex lol
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby furious on Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:51 pm

Why do you have red coolant?

I have green.
furious
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:04 pm

The OEM coolant for mine was green too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby jjj on Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:38 pm

From the vids, Your overflow coolant reservoir is being pressurised by combustion gases from the engine. Either crack in head or engine block. Seen it many of times on ford falcons and commodores but that's normally just a head gasket replacement.
jjj

Postby borngeek on Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:22 am

Not good. Welcome to the site, BTW.

You probably be seeing a result of a new engine, like the thread creator. Clearly not a head gasket as that has been replaced with the head... The block must be cracked or leaking somewhere?

//If you would like to contact MMAL, through this site, they do have their community manager that comes here and answers PM queries rather diligently.

MMAL <Simone.
Don't tell her I sent you! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good luck with it, mate, and keep us updated when you get a favourable result. ;)

The Woz wrote:2011 Triton MN GLX-R Build_Year: 08/2011 Automatic
7,500km when first overheating breakdown occurred during FIRST highway drive over 100km.
Taken to 6 dealerships. No one could find the problem.
Final result: replaced 3 thermostats, water pump, Fan, radiator, and Cracked head.
I think there is a design flaw or defect in my engine that can't be diagnosed.
Took 2.5 months to fix at the dealership!!

The problem was only when the Triton was driven over 200-300km. Local driving was fine. However I did experience poor acceleration when at traffic lights and vehicle was lacking power when driving around town. Automatic set to be in 5th gear at 50km with no power. This was the first automatic I have owned (so my wife could drive) and it was like driving a manual in 5th gear going 40km/hr. Transmission was checked and they said all good.

Here are some videos:

21km from the 6th dealership, they had the vehicle for 4 days. They also did the 15,000km service at the time. New sounds are now heard and problems now spread to other areas.

Problems Reported to Various Dealerships
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby joshua.alexander on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 am

I may as well add my problem , during my Xmas leave I went up to gilgandra , driving back through mendooran at a high speed I noticed the temp gauge at 3 quarters and rising I immediately back down to 100 km and it dropped back to normal , out side of gulgong I was climbing in 4th gear and I loss a lot power and temp gauge started to rise , I pulled over and inspected the expansion tank , it was normal at the full mark and not over , the oil looked normal and it had a clean air filter , I gave it a benefit of doubt , the next week I I stalled a snorkel , 1 week later driving through yetholme climbing a hill in 4 th gear with no loss of power my temp guaged rises again , once again coolant was at normal mark in overflow expansion tank and oil was normal colour , I then checked the radiator the next morning and it was full , I haven't lossed and coolant , I am going to blame the heat bit if any one has better suggestions go for it . The thermo stat got replaced at start if last year , mma gave me the old thermostat chestnut when it over heated at the start of last year climbing up mt Victoria and had no problems since .... Until now
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby joshua.alexander on Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:03 am

I may as well add my problem my 2.5 litre mn triton with 60k on it has over heated , during my Xmas leave I went up to gilgandra , driving back through mendooran at a high speed I noticed the temp gauge at 3 quarters and rising I immediately back down to 100 km and it dropped back to normal , out side of gulgong I was climbing in 4th gear and I loss a lot power and temp gauge started to rise , I pulled over and inspected the expansion tank , it was normal at the full mark and not over , the oil looked normal and it had a clean air filter , I gave it a benefit of doubt , the next week I I stalled a snorkel , 1 week later driving through yetholme climbing a hill in 4 th gear with no loss of power my temp guaged rises again , once again coolant was at normal mark in overflow expansion tank and oil was normal colour , I then checked the radiator the next morning and it was full , I haven't lossed and coolant , I am going to blame the heat bit if any one has better suggestions go for it . The thermo stat got replaced at start if last year , mma gave me the old thermostat chestnut when it over heated at the start of last year climbing up mt Victoria and had no problems since .... Until now
JA
joshua.alexander

Postby arternune on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:03 pm

I have a similar problem. I have a 2010 mn triton GLX R MY11 auto with 47000km The thermostat has been replaced 3 times, the radiator cap 4 times. The dealer says that there is no exhaust gas in the coolant therefore the head gasket is fine. The bubbling into the overflow bottle has only been a problem since it overheated the first time but the dealer says it is normal. It has overheated on at Ayers Rock in 40 degrees but also on a 20 km trip in 18 degrees outside temperature.
I would appreciate any help
arternune

Postby hvac guy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:21 pm

Head gasket for sure. Time and time again we here the same story from new members with an over heating
Problem until the head gasket gets replaced. Then no more issues
Contact mmal directly and give them the run down.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby arternune on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:38 pm

The other thing that The dealer has said that I have also seen on this forum is that my ARB bullbar needs to come off as it restricts airflow even though this was supplied and fitted by the dealer pre delivery. I am told that mmal no longer approves of aftermarket bullbars on MN tritons.
arternune

Postby hvac guy on Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:51 pm

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=12863&p=312171&hilit=killa#p312034

Take the time to read this
It is proof that a arb bull bar is not the cause of the problem

Killa has been though this saga as well
Hope the helps with some ammo
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby killa on Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:49 am

arternune wrote:The other thing that The dealer has said that I have also seen on this forum is that my ARB bullbar needs to come off as it restricts airflow even though this was supplied and fitted by the dealer pre delivery. I am told that mmal no longer approves of aftermarket bullbars on MN tritons.

Don't bother taking the ARB bar off, it is NOT the cause of the overheating at all.
ARB (Melbourne HO) are aware of this claim and have some interesting comments about their bar causing overheating issues.

As for the MMAL comment, they don't approve of ANY after market product fitment; Bullbars, tyres, headlight globes doesn't matter. However it is your car and unless they can PROVE that the after market components have actually CAUSED a failure of any kind they still have to honour their warranty and fix your vehicle.

A quote for you:
arternune wrote:The dealer says that there is no exhaust gas in the coolant therefore the head gasket is fine.

Tony wrote:On diesel engines there is not enough carbon monoxide in the exhaust to detect with the gas analyzer! They should know that. :roll: That's why we rarely hear of people using an oiler to gas themselves FFS. :roll:

There are combustion leak kits out that use a chemical reaction with the diesels. I use one of these http://www.etoolcart.com/images/view.as ... uctId=8195 http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-LIS75730-Co ... B000I16L90

If test positive I then get a particulate test done as will 100% determine if any combustion gasses have been leaking into the coolant.

Things to take note of from my experience:
- it will NOT overheat sitting in a workshop running to get up to temperature, nor will it overheat at suburban speeds. Get out on the highway and cruise at 100km/hr with a technician and MUT laptop for some real results :twisted: .
- radiator cap will not fix the problem but one with a stiffer spring will alleviate it for a very short time
- get them to check the thermostats that have been removed from the vehicle, if they operate at the right temperature then they weren't the issue either.
- be forceful but remain polite when demanding they look into this further, the dealer has X amount of cars to rip through each day and the problematic one will be pushed aside to get the regular punters through quickly, after all that's where their money comes from isn't it?
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby Froggy on Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:41 am

Any bubbling in the overflow bottle it NOT normal! Can't believe a mechanic could say something that stupid! It there is bubbles in the overflow, either the coolant is boiling or the headgasket is leaking. There can't be if's or buts about it!
Killa gives you good advice - He's just been through this.
Froggy

Postby The Woz on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:28 am

Things to take note of from my experience:
- it will NOT overheat sitting in a workshop running to get up to temperature, nor will it overheat at suburban speeds. Get out on the highway and cruise at 100km/hr with a technician and MUT laptop for some real results :twisted: .
- radiator cap will not fix the problem but one with a stiffer spring will alleviate it for a very short time
- get them to check the thermostats that have been removed from the vehicle, if they operate at the right temperature then they weren't the issue either.
- be forceful but remain polite when demanding they look into this further, the dealer has X amount of cars to rip through each day and the problematic one will be pushed aside to get the regular punters through quickly, after all that's where their money comes from isn't it?[/quote]

THE BEST WAY TO DIAGNOSE IS TO DRIVE UP A MOUNTAIN OR RANGE. I know there are not many mountains in Australia but if you have something to go up and down, do it. I had the same thing happen and the dealer had the vehicle for 4 days, test drove it and gave it a clean bill of health. I made it 21km from the dealership before it overheated again. They had it for another 3 days and test drove saying that it was fine. I demanded that the service manager come with me up the range and it overheated 20km from dealership. RANGES WORK!!! They then took apart the engine and to everyone's surprise the head gasket was gone and there were three cracks in cylinder head. What a shock... I told 6 different dealers this and none of them believed me.
The Woz

Postby killa on Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:09 am

arternune wrote:The other thing that The dealer has said that I have also seen on this forum is that my ARB bullbar needs to come off as it restricts airflow even though this was supplied and fitted by the dealer pre delivery. I am told that mmal no longer approves of aftermarket bullbars on MN tritons.

Any news?
Cheers,

Cal
killa

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components