Overheating MN Triton

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Overheating MN Triton

Postby Froggy on Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:16 am

Coolant will be spraying everywhere because pressurized combustion gasses are escaping into the cooling system through defective head, gasket or block. Has to escape somewhere. Chances are the actual temperature of the engine doesn't really get that hot.
Froggy

Postby DanMac on Sat Nov 16, 2013 9:51 am

Thanks Dan.
Yes it was from the overflow bottle. Funny thing was that the temperature gauge didn't move from normal on any of the occasion so if I hadn't have smelt it I would never have know until next time I looked under the bonnet.
Thanks for the advice about the photos and reports didn't even think of that.

Dan
DanMac

Postby spoiltone on Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:46 pm

well, i'm also in the over heating section now. heading away on the weekend towing a car trailer and 900kg car. drove about 20km out of bathurst stopped at yetholme to get socks, i forgot socks on this trip. they didnt have any. jumped back in car and it was boiling its arse off coolant dropped and gauge in the red. i let it cool down and rang local dealer to report it. then drove off again. and no problem as yet..

so lets hope it does not keep happening but i will get them to look into it at latest stage. also had a code come up while idling charging some items. dtc something have got it written down . will search it later.
spoiltone

Postby gaspode on Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Not good to hear that. How many KM's you got on your Triton?

Edit // Just a thought, have you been driving in long grass lately? If yeah, run some cardboard down between the condensor and the radiator as it could be chocked with seeds and not allowing air flow.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spoiltone on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:17 pm

gaspode wrote:Not good to hear that. How many KM's you got on your Triton?

Edit // Just a thought, have you been driving in long grass lately? If yeah, run some cardboard down between the condensor and the radiator as it could be chocked with seeds and not allowing air flow.

na not in long grass, just n the road. and some dirt roads. k's i have 56,000
spoiltone

Postby hvac guy on Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:44 pm

Overheating while at idle could be just the cap not holding pressure.
After towing with load , fingers crossed
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby spoiltone on Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:01 pm

hvac guy wrote:Overheating while at idle could be just the cap not holding pressure.
After towing with load , fingers crossed

no car was pulled in stopped, then walking to car i smelt coolant. and turned key on and was boiling. over red line.
spoiltone

Postby DanMac on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:53 pm

So spoken to Mits today. Froggy u were right. Defective head gasket causing pressurised combustion gas into the coolant as well as causing excessive pitting in the engine block that had began to rust. So HQ has decided to replace the engine. Bad news is engine on order minimum of two weeks until it arrives so will not get the truck back until,sometime mid December.

Bit of a change from two weeks ago when I was assured on two separate occasions that there was nothing wrong. Am glad I kept pressured the dealer.
DanMac

Postby gaspode on Fri Nov 22, 2013 8:25 pm

Same thing happened to mine Dan, but good result for you. Be sure to hit the dealer up for a loaner vehicle. It is their responsibility as the franchise owner to arrange for this as your vehicle has now heen classed as a warranty repair.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby skilbys on Sat Nov 23, 2013 7:43 am

So my 2012Mn with 26k on the clock first overheated in July, 10min going up a rocky track in low range, boiling radiator at the top :? Since then, cup weekend towing my 1.5t van, overheated and into limp mode after steep hill climb, kept an eye on the gauge after that and managed to keep it from boiling by having the heater on full blast when going up a hill!
Anyway dropped it into the dealer on Monday, rang them, again, to follow up on Thursday, was told that they have done all the tests and can't find anything wrong, but, to my surprise, was told that they are going to delve further and pull the motor apart, remove the head and send it away to be tested-2-3 weeks :( :(
At least they are not handing it back saying they can't find anything wrong! Obviously there is history of this happening, even if he says that he hadn't heard of this problem before, yeah right!
So I will drop in on Monday and check on progress, thanks to you guys on here i am armed with some previous cases and info,watch this space!
skilbys
Platinum Subscriber

Postby agrinut1 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:46 pm

This has been an ongoing issue for me as well. 4 times in 100000k's
2 viscos fan hubs, one radiator cab and a blown apart top tank on the radiator and it's back there again now.
For the life of me I can not see the pressure from the radiator 5-9psi what ever it is would blow a CHUNK out of the top tank, to me it has to be head or gasket problems letting compression into the cooling system but they reckon it tests out ok every time. This last time I wasn't even towing.
Dan mine is the same the temp gauge doesn't move until it boils, then it to late to do anything about as it has blown all the coolant out by then.

The real problem is it's random and never consistent, I've had no luck putting pressure on dealer to even replace the thermostat. I broke down away from home this time so it's at another dealer for a second opinion. I've got 106000k's up now with 24000k's left in warranty so not a real happy camper either people.

It good to read that there are others doing the same thing but, give a bit of ammo to take to the dealer.
Can anyone here pass on to me a dealers name who has found the head problems so I can get the clowns here to at least talk to them?
agrinut1

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:25 pm

Where are you located agrinut1?
Froggy

Postby agrinut1 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:11 pm

Froggy, near toowoomba in Queensland mate. I gather from a few post here there's some people from NSW, SA and VIC I think.
agrinut1

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:17 pm

The service manager at Eagers Newstead is a member here. If you could bring is down to Brisbane, I'm sure he will help you out!
Froggy

Postby hvac guy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:18 pm

Yes lee is the man U want to look after your car
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby agrinut1 on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Thanks so much froggy and hvac guy.
I'll see what comes out of the dealer where it currently is (bundaberg) Monday. If I'm not happy it will be well worth a trip to Brisbane.
A credit to Mitsubishi but I've had a few niggly problems here and there other than the heating one and they have fixed them up with out question.
Leading hand mechanic at local dealer reckons they are real good with warranty claims. Here's hoping.
agrinut1

Postby Froggy on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:21 pm

we'd all agree that MMA are good with warranty. Some dealers aren't.
Sounds like you need a new head gasket or there might be some issues with the block or head.
Froggy

Postby agrinut1 on Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:43 am

That's good to hear other people say that about the warranty too.

Yeh I'm convinced that's where the problem is to mate.

Updates on progress to come as events unfold.
agrinut1

Postby agrinut1 on Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 am

Well, verdict is it.............................

Faulty thermostat!!!!!!

Still can't see how the cooling system alone can produce enough pressure to blow a chunk out of the radiator tank like it did last time.
I feel a trip to eagers at newstead like you guys reckon coming.
agrinut1

Over heating

Postby Peter G on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 am

Hi all my beloved 2010 MN GLXR has overheated for the second time this year, in Jan whilst travelling on our holidays under mild load only 500kg towing our camper trailer it over headed it was 30 degree day.Had it towed to the nearest dealer 5 hours from home had no ute for our holidays had to hire a Hilux to get home.Took the dealer two weeks to get parts due to road closure's and fires,but they replace the radiator and as it pretty much melted,the cap,thermostat and water pump. Did ask them about if the head gasket should also be done they said it was fine.

This morning noticed the top half of the radiator is red hot but the bottom half is stone cold so maybe the thremostat isn't working properly temp gauge was 3/4 the over flow tank was full and coolant was leaking out under pressure from the cap decided to have it towed back to the nearest dealer who is book out until Friday any one else had the same.

With 97 thou on the clock won'ting it sorted before the warranty ends at 100

Thanks Pete
Peter G

Re: Over heating

Postby killa on Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:33 pm

Welcome Pete,

Sorry to hear you've joined the not so exclusive overheating Triton club :roll: . If you haven't already, check out this thread here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=8271&hilit=overheating+mn+triton
Just might give you a little more information to battle the dealer with.
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby arternune on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:22 am

I have now done 10,000 km on my new engine with no further problems and I am just starting to get some confidence back however my original engine was fine for the first 30,000km before the overheating issues started. It is a concern that new Tritons are still having these problems. It seems that Mitsubishi hasn't been able to rectify the issue at the manufacturing stage.
ARB were very interested in the claims made by the Mitsubishi dealer about the ARB bull bar contributing to the overheating problem. They have moved the Automatic transmission cooler to a spot higher up in the front grill to allow it to get more airflow. Has anyone who has had a new engine fitted then had further overheating problems?
arternune

Re: Over heating

Postby Peter G on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:17 pm

Thanks Cal
Was an interesting read my ute has seat in the garage since the 20th of Dec as the dealer could find an issue with it drove it home 40 minute trip boiled as I arrived home at 4.30 pm on the 20th of Dec the dealer closed for the xmas new year period and will look at the car Wednesday the 8th of Jan thank god
Didn't think that much of the service manager when I'd picked the car he said he drove it and couldn't fault it how ever he did say the temp gauge was around the 3/4 mark but said that was ok don't think thats correct.
Cheers pete
Peter G

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:03 pm

Quote: Peter G Mon Dec 16 2013 1:12pm
"...This morning noticed the top half of the radiator is red hot but the bottom half is stone cold..."

Somewhere along the line, during my spare time and intermittent browsing, of all of the -painfully accumulated Triton owner's wisdom- contained between the pages of this Forum, I'm sure that I read someone relating a story of how half of their Triton's radiator was found to be clogged up / blocked with 'goop' (that's a technical term :D ) as a result of the mixing there-in, of incompatible coolant types, but I can't now for the life of me remember just who's post it was or exactly where I read it . I know that MMAL have a specific warning printed in their owners manual about the need to use 'genuine' Mitsubishi coolant fluid. Perhaps that's the reason for their warning. With 97 thou Ks on the clock of yours Peter it should have had at least a couple of coolant changes done on it by now if serviced as per the handbook . I wonder if your reported case of "top half of radiator red hot but bottom half stone cold" could possibly be yet another case of it being blocked with 'goop' as a result of incompatible coolant fluid types having been used in it's service history......??? :?
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Peter G on Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:36 pm

Interesting theory (arterune) as I have an ARB bar, its been on since the car was new the first over heating problem was 12 month to the day camper trailer and 3 kids in tow the clock was only 70 odd KM's.

But (anOldfart) comment is also interesting the car has always been service via Mit's so if they have used the incorrect fluid blocking the radiator with goop will ask them to pressure test it.

Thanks all
Pete
Peter G

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components