Overheating MN Triton

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Overheating MN Triton

Postby arternune on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:15 am

Hi Pete G
My ARB bullbar has been on since new as well. It was actually fitted by the Mitsubishi dealer pre delivery along with a snorkel, Arb canopy and arb tow bar.
Re. The issue of the top of the radiator being hot and the bottom cold. This is something that I also experienced which is why the dealer changed the thermostat 3 times.
One thing that I did was to print out and highlight all the relevant overheating info from this forum and present it to the dealer as they seemed to be in denial of how wide spread this issue is. This was the final step before the new short motor was done.

Can anyone tell me how widespread this overheating problem is? There are obviously a lot of tritons around. What percentage are having over heating problems?
What is the likely hood that my new engine will develope a similar issue?
arternune

Postby arternune on Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:21 am

One other thing that I should mention is that my temperature gauge with both the old and new engines sits just over half way on about 3/5ths .
arternune

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:05 pm

Mine has always sat dead on half way except when I nearly cooked it up a mountain one day. Would be good to get an obd reader so you can see the actual temps rather than the needle/gauge which is not particularly sensitive or accurate.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby fridgie on Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:43 pm

AnOldFart wrote:Quote: Peter G Mon Dec 16 2013 1:12pm
"...This morning noticed the top half of the radiator is red hot but the bottom half is stone cold..."

Somewhere along the line, during my spare time and intermittent browsing, of all of the -painfully accumulated Triton owner's wisdom- contained between the pages of this Forum, I'm sure that I read someone relating a story of how half of their Triton's radiator was found to be clogged up / blocked with 'goop' (that's a technical term :D ) as a result of the mixing there-in, of incompatible coolant types, but I can't now for the life of me remember just who's post it was or exactly where I read it . I know that MMAL have a specific warning printed in their owners manual about the need to use 'genuine' Mitsubishi coolant fluid. Perhaps that's the reason for their warning. With 97 thou Ks on the clock of yours Peter it should have had at least a couple of coolant changes done on it by now if serviced as per the handbook . I wonder if your reported case of "top half of radiator red hot but bottom half stone cold" could possibly be yet another case of it being blocked with 'goop' as a result of incompatible coolant fluid types having been used in it's service history......??? :?

Mine was blocked ;-) , had to be flushed out etc then refilled with fresh coolant.

If another coolant is mixed with the Mitsy coolant it turns to a gel like substance and blocks the rows.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby Martybuhler on Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:49 pm

Hi guys, new to the forum
I have a 2012 challenger with 25k on it. It overheated on the first day of my Xmas holidays. First time Nrma came checked over did pressure test on cap filled radiator up and sent us on our way.250km later overheated again. Tilt tray to Moss vale mitsubishi quick check but was nock off time so come back tomorrow . Me and 3 kids find accommodation come back in the morning. Slotted me in had the car for half a day apprentice tells me he can't find anything wrong but maybe radiator cap. I get a bit emotional because I can see my holiday to the Gold Coast going down the toilet, was told I would have to calm down or leave. So I calmed down then was told mitsubishi don't have a radiator cap in the state and the first slot they have is the 7 of jan(this happened on the 18 of December ) so then I did my nut grabbed a water container I was carrying filled it with water and headed to mum and dads at blacktown 160km. Got there ok. It was 42 degrees the next day bought an aftermarket radiator cap filled it up then did 200km around sydney out Penrith 44 deg temp gauge didn't move from half. Got back to Dads and noticed the overflow tank nearly full. Left it overnight to see if the coolant would return to the radiator. In the morning the catch tank still full. Got a syringe and sucked all the coolant out of the overflow back to the radiator. It filled it to the drop. Realised that something was pressuring the cooling system and when it finally displaced enough coolant it would make steam in the cooling system blow off to the overflow tank and erupt and pump coolant out. So I couldn't get any mitsubishi agents to look at it. So I went all the way to Queensland and back stopping every 200 or so km and topping the radiator and draining th overflow tank
Took the car in to mitsubishi today, lets see what they come up with
Martybuhler

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:29 pm

Trust me, Its the head gasket.
GLX-R Alex

Postby killa on Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:06 pm

Martybuhler wrote:Hi guys, new to the forum
I have a 2012 challenger with 25k on it. It overheated on the first day of my Xmas holidays. First time Nrma came checked over did pressure test on cap filled radiator up and sent us on our way.250km later overheated again. Tilt tray to Moss vale mitsubishi quick check but was nock off time so come back tomorrow . Me and 3 kids find accommodation come back in the morning. Slotted me in had the car for half a day apprentice tells me he can't find anything wrong but maybe radiator cap. I get a bit emotional because I can see my holiday to the Gold Coast going down the toilet, was told I would have to calm down or leave. So I calmed down then was told mitsubishi don't have a radiator cap in the state and the first slot they have is the 7 of jan(this happened on the 18 of December ) so then I did my nut grabbed a water container I was carrying filled it with water and headed to mum and dads at blacktown 160km. Got there ok. It was 42 degrees the next day bought an aftermarket radiator cap filled it up then did 200km around sydney out Penrith 44 deg temp gauge didn't move from half. Got back to Dads and noticed the overflow tank nearly full. Left it overnight to see if the coolant would return to the radiator. In the morning the catch tank still full. Got a syringe and sucked all the coolant out of the overflow back to the radiator. It filled it to the drop. Realised that something was pressuring the cooling system and when it finally displaced enough coolant it would make steam in the cooling system blow off to the overflow tank and erupt and pump coolant out. So I couldn't get any mitsubishi agents to look at it. So I went all the way to Queensland and back stopping every 200 or so km and topping the radiator and draining th overflow tank
Took the car in to mitsubishi today, lets see what they come up with

I hope you read this thread and didn't just add to it. There's a lot of good info here for you.

Best advice I can give you is that it WILL NOT OVERHEAT IDLING IN THE WORKSHOP :evil:
Take it out on the highway for testing at speed (up hill if you can).
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby Martybuhler on Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:56 am

Hi Cal
Cheers for that, but I already assume it will be head gasket or a crack or a casting fault with the block. I struggled through 2200 km to give the kids a good holiday

I have noticed similar complaints to mine in the thread and just wanted to add mine as well for others to see. I'll update when mitsubishi resolve the matter

Talking to the dealer it's like they didn't really get what was going on. But Finding this forum and reading this thread gives me the confidence to really push them for a resolution
Martybuhler

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:40 pm

Martybuhler wrote:Hi Cal
Cheers for that, but I already assume it will be head gasket or a crack or a casting fault with the block. I struggled through 2200 km to give the kids a good holiday

I have noticed similar complaints to mine in the thread and just wanted to add mine as well for others to see. I'll update when mitsubishi resolve the matter

Talking to the dealer it's like they didn't really get what was going on. But Finding this forum and reading this thread gives me the confidence to really push them for a resolution

Hi Marty,
Suggest it might pay you to actually print off some of the previous NT members overheating posts that are directly relevant to your own issue here and hi-lite them appropriately and then stick them under the stealer's nose in order to -enlighten- them about the issue if they try to baffle you with any of their 'don't know about this problem' BS. ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby gaspode on Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:36 am

AnOldFart wrote:Suggest it might pay you to actually print off some of the previous NT members overheating posts that are directly relevant to your own issue here and hi-lite them appropriately

I reckon they might know about this problem. After my last dealings with MMA and the local franchise (they have nothing to do with MMA other than selling and service), I'm sure some kind of technical bulletin was sent around to all franchises regarding this issue. When the clutch in my Red ute went within 6 months of new, the service reports noted that it was a known issue, so I'd hope that MMA has the same system of internal reporting.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Martybuhler on Wed Jan 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Update

Changing thermostat, its a process apparently

Printing out overheating posts as suggested, but i guess what else are they going to do. Pull apart a motor because some punter thinks theres a problem with the head gasket but cant prove it

Putting the trailer on and im off to Sydney from Jindabyne this weekend lets see how far i get
Martybuhler

Postby arternune on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:01 pm

Good luck Marty. In my case, Mitsubishi had to go through the elimination process which all up took about 10 months with 3 thermostats, 4 radiator caps etc before they got to the head gasket. Taking a print out from this forum to the dealer with all the relevant info highlighted helped because they couldn't then deny that it was a common problem. I have done 10000km on my new engine. I don't know what percentage have problems but I suspect that it isn't many.
arternune

Postby arternune on Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:40 pm

Has anyone heard of history repeating itself with these engine problems on the same vehicle. My new engine has done 18,000 km now and has started showing similar symptoms the previous problems, namely that after 32km on the freeway the top radiator hose is hot and the bottom hose is cold. Also after turning off the engine I can hear air bubbling in to the radiator overflow bottle. Oddly enough the problems with the original engine started at about 18,000km. The hose issue has previously resulted in the thermostat being replaced 4 times so far.
I will contact Mitsubishi on Monday.
arternune

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:11 pm

Geez mate that would have to be some shit luck to have the same thing happen with 2 different donks. I hope it's not :o
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby skilbys on Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:15 am

Oops, realizing now that I never got back to updating my problems with over-heating :?
Short story is, head was removed and sent off to engineers who tested and found it to be leaking, casting fault apparently, another triton was in at the same time having the same thing done! So 5 weeks later, she was back, fixed all under warranty, the longest part was getting the approval from Head office to have it all done under warranty. This shouldn't be a problem now as it seems to be a common problem with a certain batch.
All good as new now though!
skilbys
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Belbrook on Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:35 pm

^^ Skilby. Glad it turned out ok. Can you let us know your build date so if others have same symptoms it may help with diagnosis.
Not bad for an old bloke
Belbrook

Postby skilbys on Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:22 pm

2012 Mn with 26,000k's
Further info on previous page, cheers.
skilbys
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Peter G on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:40 pm

The over heating issue strikes again my Ute's been at the dealers for 3 weeks now and they cant find the problem although I'd stated quite clearly its only over heating whilst towing. Went to Wollongong to pick up a 21 foot boat should of been a 6 hr return trip but not quite the Ute over heated with just an empty trailer in tow. Added 3 litres of water and kept on driving got the boat started the return trip home stopped every 30 minute as it keep over heating ended up buying 10 litres of water from the IGA super market once that ran out finally called road side service. The guy locked at it a said you heads blown called a tow truck and pissed off leaving me with to arrange another ute to pull the trailer home. Had a local guy look over it same result plus the local radiator place all the same answer had it towing to Mitsubishi they cant find a problem. After 3 week the service manger is waiting on an answer from Head Office as to what to do next when I questioned so there is an problem he didn't answer why else would you be needing HO to issue an fix it order.In a pissed off stated contact department of fair trading today cant live with out my Ute cant work with a Ute that dosn't work properly either.

Pete
Peter G

Postby Billybass on Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:57 pm

Just a coincidence, I met this Triton owner about 3 weeks ago,he asked me how my Triton went and had any troubles,my reply was,GREAT and NO problems.we discussed his woes with his vehicle,which he desperately needs for work and felt he wasn't getting anywhere with Mitsubishi.Surprise,surprise,I was towing our small van to Bungendore this week,(from Batemans Bay) and nearing my destination the temp gauge shot up and the coolant emptied out through the overflow bottle.It appears that it is a common problem with what I have read and info I have gained from other sources.I had my vehicle transported back to home and will be taken to Mitsubishi next week.Prior to this it has been a great vehicle without any problems, travelled 56000,hoping all can be sorted quickly and continue enjoying my Triton. :?: :?: .Billybass
"The sun never fails to shine on a Saturday morning"
Billybass

Postby Billybass on Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:23 pm

Hi fellow Tritoners,I got my Triton back today, in there for a week,flushed radiator and a new cap,as instructed by Mitsabloodybishi.The standard of workmanship just to do that was crap,battery tray full of coolant,overflow bottle all but empty and stains all over the motor and bay,I was in the motor game for over 20 years,if I had have left a vehicle in that state I would have been walking,in no time. :cry: Very disappointing. Not a happy chappy.
Billybass

Postby arternune on Tue Sep 16, 2014 7:36 pm

Apparently, according to Misubishi, it is common for the top radiator hose to be hot whilst the bottom one stays cold? This is after 32km at 110km/h. When I get home in the still of night I can hear bubbling after turning the engine off. Again, Mitsubishi say this is normal?
The power steering also dumped all of its fluid on to the shed floor. Mitsubishi fixed it under warranty.
arternune

Postby hvac guy on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:11 pm

My old camry use to do that I changed the thermostate and rad cap and all was good
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jungas on Thu Oct 02, 2014 8:45 pm

Hey guys, I had my first major overheating issue last Easter on the way up to dargo towing a camper and I completely boiled it, went from normal to boiling instantly. Got towed back to melbourne and after a bit of carry on by me making it fairly clear I was pissed off considering it was only 12 months old and cooked they agreed to fix it under warranty.

Ended up the block surface was pitted from factory so whole engine out, off to the engineers to get it shaved and cleaned up and then all back in, has been all good since then however EGTS still climb up past 500 on decent long hills holding about 80-90kms/hr. Hoping to sort that issue with the full ECU retune
Jungas

Postby Bitzrmisn on Thu Oct 02, 2014 9:56 pm

Ours blew all the coolant out of the overflow bottle twice between kalgoorlie and Perth before finally being towed to Northam, the local dealer there told us that there is a machining fault in most tritons and challengers that requires an engine change (from 2011 through to 2014) and although ours is already dead to expect a recall notice soon!! I'm kinda over the Bitsamisn n think I will trade her in for something a little more reliable for our outback location!!
Bitzrmisn

Postby AD07 on Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:16 pm

Bitzrmisn wrote:Ours blew all the coolant out of the overflow bottle twice between kalgoorlie and Perth before finally being towed to Northam, the local dealer there told us that there is a machining fault in most tritons and challengers that requires an engine change (from 2011 through to 2014) and although ours is already dead to expect a recall notice soon!! I'm kinda over the Bitsamisn n think I will trade her in for something a little more reliable for our outback location!!

I really doubt its "most" models. Im pretty sure there would be an uproar (from owners as well as mitsubishi loosing alot of money through warranty claims) if a large number of tritons & challengers needed a total engine change. I would also like to think problems that surfaced in 2011 were rectified by 2014. I hope......... :roll:
AD07

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components