Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Postby RHKTriton on Sat May 07, 2011 12:31 pm

I thought there was a description of the procedure somewhere - however can't track it down.

I wonder if anyone has some good photos of the 3.2 diesel engine with the rocker cover off?

Also thinking whether a two piece cover might be feasable that doesn't require the fuel hardware
to be disturbed?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Postby mad992 on Sat May 07, 2011 4:37 pm

ok well no
you need MUT to successfully adjust valves
and no one can copy or clone the MUT
so go to your stealer :!: :!: :!:
bend over and fork out the coin :lol:
mad992

Postby borngeek on Sun May 08, 2011 6:51 am

As everyone has different attitudes toward servicing their vehicle, this is a great topic!
Dont believe that only Mitsubishi dealerships can service your engine properly. Total BS these engine are not rocket science that authorised dealers only have the key to :roll:

I will be having this tappet service performed in the not to distant future (at 53K now) by a local workshop who have no issue in doing it. I believe (but shall confirm) that their snap-on diagnostic tool can perform the SQL (small quantity relearn). Reading and performing routines on the ECU is not isolated to a MUT3. I can do some routines with my mobile phone.... ;)

Dont have a photo of the rocker cover off but here is the manual's info (with exploded diagram) on removal and installation:
rocker cover and injectors.pdf

"Special tool" :roll:
MB992046 Valve adjusting socket
MB992046AA00ENG.png

I look forward on seeing your progress and thoughts RHK :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sun May 08, 2011 7:35 am

yes ,
but i think borngeek that mut increases fuel rail pressure to guarantee no fuel leak in the pipe that runs inside the engine thru the covers there has been 3 cases my local dealer knows of where fuel enters the internals and mixes with the oil that of course creates absolute mayhem and destruction like engine run on and self detonation, i for 1 dislike the whole fact of forking out huge amounts of cash for servicing but if ultratune and backyard bobs cant raise the fuel line pressure then they cant warrant their work when adjusting valves:!:

saying that i for 1 will be watching this thread ;) ;) ;)
mad992

Postby chaser on Sun May 08, 2011 9:00 pm

The fuel pipes need to be tensioned with the special tool too avoid damage to pipes, tension is 40nm i think for memory.

Geek, a mate of mine has the latest 2011 snap on tool and it can not do sql or even a quarter of what i can do with the mut3. Most people just don't know how to use it to its full potential, i cant use all of its functions yet but im getting there lol....
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 10, 2011 12:00 am

Yes the high pressure test is a must as a consequence of the stupid design of having to open the fuel lines in the first place.

Seems one step forward two back. One reason that attracted me to the Triton was the fact of not being caught up in the timing belt rip-off that many manufacturers have entered into. Then to discover that the engine still needs manual valve lash adjustment in this day and age; plus to actually carry out the deed. you gotta open the arteries to get there ( this not also considering all the other krapp that has to be removed) !

The only vehicle I've ever owned that required valve adjustments was a 74 beetle and that was a piece of cake.

Someone noted somewhere that the rail was not under pressure when the engine was off. If this is true then disconnecting the pipes to the injectors shouldn't require anything special to get the show back on the road. I assume the ECU does all the "learns" and respective tweaks on startup and continuously anyway.

Also the big concern is that most damage done to your precious is usually by the stealers! Bent rocker covers. ripped off body trims. grease on interior. overfilled engine oil. etc. etc. (note this is over 30+ years)

If I could do my own adjustments and guarantee no leaks- no one would be touching my engine!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue May 10, 2011 6:39 am

RHKTriton wrote:If I could do my own adjustments and guarantee no leaks- no one would be touching my engine!

I hear you RHK... This and the steering column issue are all that bother me with the Triton, simply because I don't want to go near a dealer. I think the steering column issue has been worked out. Just need a way to do the tappets that doesn't involve a dealer. :roll:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue May 10, 2011 6:59 am

Wonder if the 3.2 and 2.5 use the same service tool to adjust the tappets? Took mine to the dealer back when had 30k to do tappets and they said..... Er, we dont have to correct service tool ATM :? So MN is different?

Mitsu had hydraulic lash adjustments back in the old 4G54 days (Mid 80's) and now back to manual adjustment? One does wonder why? At least its not a shim affair like most multi valve DOHC's :D
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue May 10, 2011 7:02 am

edit: stuff it found out all the info for myself and the tools (with part numbers) required.

fuel leak test is a crock you can visual this and these are the things left leaking after my magnificent dealer service and had to be redone by my mechanic....
It does not mention a SQL either. will be done by my local. This all could be done yourself RHK. The lines removed are external not the internal pressure relief for injectors... These can be visual checked after a short drive.

//Another dealer myth BUSTED :lol:

valve clearance check and adjustment.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steane on Tue May 10, 2011 8:23 am

borngeek wrote:edit: stuff it found out all the info for myself and the tools (with part numbers) required.

fuel leak test is a crock you can visual this and these are the things left leaking after my magnificent dealer service and had to be redone by my mechanic....
It does not mention a SQL either. will be done by my local. This all could be done yourself RHK. The lines removed are external not the internal pressure relief for injectors... These can be visual checked after a short drive.

//Another dealer myth BUSTED :lol:

valve clearance check and adjustment.pdf

Nice one BG! :D :D

What is the reasoning behind the SQL, does anyone know? Is it another load of bunk. Seems it's one of the 'reasons' behind dealer servicing, and from the little I've read, if you don't get it done then your economy (?) will suffer over time. I've done 40k now and the economy is getting better, not worse.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Tue May 10, 2011 8:48 am

Steane wrote:
Nice one BG! :D :D

What is the reasoning behind the SQL, does anyone know? Is it another load of bunk. Seems it's one of the 'reasons' behind dealer servicing, and from the little I've read, if you don't get it done then your economy (?) will suffer over time. I've done 40k now and the economy is getting better, not worse.

The SQL has been explained here

Our ECU perform its own SQL periodically.
Mine has been no where near a MUT3 in 22,000Km and I get excellent economy if I dont hoon (easy flat 10's on freeway 110 cruise control on, and 32's)

So yep just dealer BS to get you in there IMO... ;)

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue May 10, 2011 9:01 am

Well said geek, I was stayn out of this but cant help my self. :roll: Think you can raise the rail pressure enough anyway lol

SQL is not needed on the bloody tappet adjustment for fug sake :? You will have the battery disconnected anyway so does it self to some extent.

Special tools, hmm, out here we make our own :roll: The fuel fittings are not as fragile as some think either, out here we're always removing them of the V8 cruisers to remove the rats nest and repair the fuel return hoses in the valley.

Bit like changing the auto fluid. :roll: There are ways of doing a 90% job. Just cant get the last bit out of the converter, tiss why you need extra oil to do the job. ;)

Damn I love the bush 8-)

I'll shud up now :)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 am

SQL and all the other trype!

The idea of having an ECU and injection, etc is to overcome the shortcoming of all the previous "technology.
Effectively the engine management does exactly that - constantly optimises settings to get the best out of the drivetrain. So as your engine wears, it tweaks things to keep them in spec.

Anyone coming in cold on this site would reach the conclusion that Tritons need a splint on the steering column, a pillow to raise the seating position for the driver, a set of descent iron to keep the truck off the axles, a 'mechanic' chained under the bonnet with a MUT, couple of RSJs welded to the rear chassis rails, couple of kero lanterns out front, etc. (probably missed a few) oh and some corrigated cardboard for the guys with the tub liners.

More seriously..I'd hope that you dont need a new gasket, etc to reinstall the rocker cover or is this another pricey consumeable?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Tue May 10, 2011 9:28 am

Sort of on topic the ACCC have been working on the "dealer only" servicing problem for a few years now to try to stop practices of forcing you to use dealers,like in case of the MERC auto trans where you can't check the fluid levels with out their special tourqe tool... :evil:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby chaser on Tue May 10, 2011 5:32 pm

You don't need a sql after tappet adjustment, i always do one just to make sure everything is all good. You also don't really need the special tool for the fuel pipes but i always use it to stop rounding the pipes off as a precaution. The tappet tool is good but to be honest its a pain in the arse to use, i just use a go through socket set now.

Also you don't need to replace the tappet cover gasket just the top seals in the cover as they crack from pulling over the injector its self. If you do this make sure you use heaps of inox or similar over the seals and injector plug before you remove it as i have seen a few were the tops of the injectors have been ripped off from stiff old seals.

If you have adjusted tappets in the past these arnt any different to a lancer or old laser. They take a fair amount of time to do and the very back 4 valves can be a bit hard, same with the exhaust valves they can be a bit harder too. As long as you have a decent length feeler gauges you will be fine. The intake is 0.1mm and exhaust is 0.15mm...

Hope this helps clear a few things up, but at the end of the day some dealers are cheap and do great work and others charge like wounded bulls and do crappy work.
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

chaser

Postby borngeek on Tue May 10, 2011 5:35 pm

THANK YOU CHASER!

That is a fkn awesome post mate and appreciated :D

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Tue May 10, 2011 6:24 pm

Its ok justin, i may or may not do a step by step guide on a few things one day when i get one to do with a bit of time to take pics etc etc

chaser

Postby ag9111 on Tue May 10, 2011 6:30 pm

Better do that as an alias Chaser. Wouldn't want you to get hung for it
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue May 10, 2011 6:41 pm

chaser wrote:Its ok justin, i may or may not do a step by step guide on a few things one day when i get one to do with a bit of time to take pics etc etc

Save me doing it, its not that bad. At least we can get to these little fella's Hate this V8 cruiser I have here ATM. Talk about clutter :evil:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Tue May 10, 2011 6:49 pm

ag9111 wrote:Better do that as an alias Chaser. Wouldn't want you to get hung for it

Meh what can they do? Im not disclosing what a simple google search wont turn up lol

I come on here in my own time out side of work hours to help you lot out lol.

Tony your right about them shit box v8's pain in the arse to do anything on. But they are stupid quick esp the 200 with a snorkel they would suck a flock of birds out of the sky lol

chaser

Postby RHKTriton on Tue May 10, 2011 11:56 pm

Thanks for your input Chaser.

NTBB the MB auto is virtually a sealed unit, supposedly go for 9 or possibly 12yrs I think I was told. The wobble in one of the flanges coming out of the diff housing convinced me it was time to get rid of the van at 195km (6yrs), as no way of removing it to see whats going on from the outside. It doesn't seem to matter who the manufacturer is, most vehicles are probably intended to be turned over every five years and idealy scrapped in their eyes; they don't make money on product hanging around.

I'm hoping that the triton might see me out- getting over feeding finance companies. Being a north-south driveline, full chassis, with billy cart suspension at the back should leave much scope for ongoing maintenance. The basic product is pretty good, esp when you check out similar vintage products from the competitors, re crash tests, etc.

Might even be able to electrify it eventually.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Thu May 12, 2011 9:20 am

Gday guys just a quick question about the valve clearance adjustment

I found yesterday that when my car had its 60 000km service that the stealer didnt actually adjust the valve clearances, apparently all they did was an audible check which as far as i can tell consists of listening for a loud knocking noise, which if is not present declaring that its fine.

I have been told that these engines need them adjusted every 30 000 regardless by a stealer who came highly recommended to me. Basically i am looking for an opinion if the stealer who is checking them audibly is an idiot and trying to save labour costs.

It is my understanding that when the dealer is asked for a 60000km service they should take the rocker cover off and do it properly. I just wanted to check i was right and get some other opinions before i go become an "problem" customer.

Cheers
Chris
coxy47

Postby Tony on Thu May 12, 2011 10:02 am

coxy47 wrote:Gday guys just a quick question about the valve clearance adjustment

I found yesterday that when my car had its 60 000km service that the stealer didnt actually adjust the valve clearances, apparently all they did was an audible check which as far as i can tell consists of listening for a loud knocking noise, which if is not present declaring that its fine.

I have been told that these engines need them adjusted every 30 000 regardless by a stealer who came highly recommended to me. Basically i am looking for an opinion if the stealer who is checking them audibly is an idiot and trying to save labour costs.

It is my understanding that when the dealer is asked for a 60000km service they should take the rocker cover off and do it properly. I just wanted to check i was right and get some other opinions before i go become an "problem" customer.

Cheers
Chris

If done at 30k I wouldn't be to concerned. In my experience once done the first time things wont change as much in the next 30k. As for audible cheek, may pick a lose tappet but not if they tighten up. These modern diesels have very hard valve seats so not much of a problem like the old days.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby coxy47 on Thu May 12, 2011 10:32 am

Ok then well unfortunately as im the third owner of this truck im not sure if they were done at 30k.

Thanks for the opinion, I think ill drop my argument now and not worry about it and just check it myself when i eventually get round to it.

Cheers
coxy47

Postby Lee-thal on Thu May 12, 2011 12:06 pm

An Audible check is a crock of S#%T, there is no way possible to have that great a hearing to know that its a tappet noise, Here is one for you all, lift the bonnet and have a listen at idle........bloody loud, no way anyone could decipher a tappet noise, Most times they will tighten up anyway and make no noises.

I wonder how much they charged you for the service as it is without valve clearances??? The service book clearly states that it is part of every 30000km service, did they cross it out in the book or just stamp it as it was done?? I would be asking a very big question of that service department if they didnt ask you or tell you otherwise.

My Rant over.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Next

Return to Drive Train Components