Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: Engine Valve Clearance Adjustment

Postby coxy47 on Thu May 12, 2011 12:30 pm

Yeh that was my opinion as theres no way you can here if a valve is out when it has to be set in the order of 1/20 mm.

When i got the quote they never mentioned anything about the valve clearances however, speaking to them since then they have told me that the service would have been around $500 more with the valve clearances done which seems to be in line with what Ive heard from others getting the 60 00 service done at other dealerships under the same branding. As well as this looking at the hours of labour they charged me for they definitely have not done the valves.

What annoys me is that they wrote on the receipt that they checked and adjusted the valves even though they never removed the rocker cover.
coxy47

Postby borngeek on Thu May 12, 2011 12:49 pm

Audible check :lol: :lol: :lol: heard that one here sooo many times and even ended up with me in a heated argument at the dealer I used to use :evil:

I suspect mitsubishi are sending these 'special dealers' specially mutated human ears that can detect a valve clearance out by 0.001mm and report back.

Some spy's got me this photo of them...
Click to view larger picture
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Lee-thal on Thu May 12, 2011 1:48 pm

hahahaha love it geek
Lee-thal

Postby coxy47 on Thu May 12, 2011 2:01 pm

I wondered what those little things were in the cages out the back of the dealer :lol:
coxy47

Postby Homer on Thu May 12, 2011 2:16 pm

What dirty little puddles do you play in BG :lol: I mean 2 girls one cup is one thing but ^^^^ :shock:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby borngeek on Thu May 12, 2011 2:47 pm

Look it is only a rumor OK! I just got this envelope under my door in the middle of the night and it contained the above photo and a sticky note that read... "Dont do the tappet adjustment unless you get confirmation from this little sucker"

Maybe I am making a bold assumption but now another envelope slipped under my door... seems they have tappet ear detector version 2.0 :shock:

//I suggest everyone call their dealer immediately :lol:

mmal-tappetproject2011.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu May 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Lee-thal...how would i KNOW my dealer did the work? what nut or bolt or something gets damaged/bent/knurled or scratched during this legitimate clearance adjustment process. :?:

borngeek wrote:Audible check :lol: :lol: :lol: heard that one here sooo many times and even ended up with me in a heated argument at the dealer I used to use :evil:

I suspect mitsubishi are sending these 'special dealers' specially mutated human ears that can detect a valve clearance out by 0.001mm and report back.

Some spy's got me this photo of them...

Geek, mildly amusing. now if he had a Mitsubishi logo on it then that would be funny.....how do i know you didn't get him from supercheap?

....and another good thread goes by the way of the 'Newtriton Off Topic Team' (NOTT) :roll:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Thu May 12, 2011 2:50 pm

no way. i wrote that post reply and then before i could press the submit button (didn't stop me obviously) you post that.

great minds think alike Geek. :lol: :lol: :lol:
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Thu May 12, 2011 2:52 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Team NOTT to the rescue. ;)

//mods can you friggen clean up this mess :roll: Yeah I reported myself again :P

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Thu May 12, 2011 3:22 pm

NOTT me...I'm loving it :lol: :oops: :roll:
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Lee-thal on Thu May 12, 2011 3:45 pm

Snowman,

You can but you prob need to remove parts to see it ie tappet cover gasket and seals , its like anything, its all TRUST. If you dont trust your workshop, go somewhere else.

Cheers
Lee-thal

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 12, 2011 4:40 pm

I wonder if the dead decaying rat I found in the plenum stuck under the wiper motor was one that got away on em at the dealer?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu May 12, 2011 4:41 pm

Might have beena reject though...didn't have the valve ear.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu May 12, 2011 5:57 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: You lot are evil :twisted: :twisted:

With this plague here now there must be a mitsu rat amongst them, must cheek before I splat the next rat wit a shot cartridge full of coarse salt :roll: Monster rat shots :twisted:

Is fun at night with a torch in the hay sheds atm :D
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Thu May 12, 2011 9:34 pm

You can here the tappets if they are extremely loose and i mean 2mm gaps loose. Most of the time there only around .10mm out so you can't here that. So thats just a load of shit unfortunately.

How the hell did that little pink looken thing have anything to do with tappet adjustment?

This thread "could" have been a sticky but u lot are a crack up...
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

2005 Toyota Prado gxl, Lifted, Bar, Lights, Tyres etc etc...

Triton still on the waiting list.....
chaser

Postby Tony on Thu May 12, 2011 10:27 pm

chaser wrote:You can here the tappets if they are extremely loose and i mean 2mm gaps loose. Most of the time there only around .10mm out so you can't here that. So thats just a load of shit unfortunately.

How the hell did that little pink looken thing have anything to do with tappet adjustment?

This thread "could" have been a sticky but u lot are a crack up...

As the author has suggested, It is now known you lot are cloning human ears with rats to do audible diagnostics :lol: :lol:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun May 29, 2011 10:41 am

Have never tried to turn over a diesel crank by hand, are they difficult to turn from the pulley to set the valves?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby chaser on Sun May 29, 2011 6:24 pm

I use a 19mm spanner on the exhaust cam pulley and my screw driver on the water pump pulley to turn the motor over....
No longer a Mitsubishi technician, just a plain old boring mechanic with Mitsubishi training...

chaser

Postby tokirky on Sun May 29, 2011 6:54 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Have never tried to turn over a diesel crank by hand, are they difficult to turn from the pulley to set the valves?

Yeah fairly easy just remove the glow plugs to lose the compression and its as easy as a petrol engine.
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:43 am

Just to round off; any special tools needed to undo fuel connections to injectors or get to rocker adjustments?

Has anyone had opportunity to get a few pics of the engine with the rocker cover off?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby andyj on Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:47 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Just to round off; any special tools needed to undo fuel connections to injectors or get to rocker adjustments?

Has anyone had opportunity to get a few pics of the engine with the rocker cover off?

PM chaser he works at a mitsi stealership
Or as Speedy Gonzalez once said, it won't hurt, did it
andyj

Postby NTBB on Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:18 am

Pics as promised....
Ml 3.2 rocker cover removed

this injector(4) makes it a PITA to remove the cover... :x
Note the bleed off line wraped around the back could be damaged when removing the cover so be careful.

BG is spot on with his discription of this procces and the only injection pipes that need to be touched are the
supply lines into the cover... 8-) The bleed off line doesn't need to be disturbed.... :oops:
As Chaser said replace the injector seals on the top of the cover when you do this job, we didn't do this last time and they leaked on us but all fixed now (if I had thought about it I would have got the part number.. :roll: )
The ext valves are a PITA due to the cooler not allowing accses for a ring spanner.
Hope this helps some and for the record only had to adjust 4 valves and all were on the tight side but f all adjustment was needed... :roll:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby chaser on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:07 pm

See the wiring harness holder on the lower part of the fire wall, i normally bend that up so its straight to aid getting the cover off.

4 valves hey did a mn few weeks back and they take 4x as long to do than ml and i didnt have to adjust any! :x

good to see someone having a go its not that hard. With the exhaust side just us a socket and extension to crack the nut then adjust and tighten the nut back up and check again. Can be a pain full process but its sometimes the only way to do it!

chaser

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:17 pm

When I picked up my ML from it's 30k service after the tappets had been done, it was returned with a random 8mm bolt left in the engine bay, the rubber seal in the tapper cover around the injector completely out blowing oil every where and an oil leak from inlet pipework after manifold had been removed. Cost a fortune too. Lucky it's a company car. Heartland castle hill.
GLX-R Alex

Postby NTBB on Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:14 pm

chaser wrote:See the wiring harness holder on the lower part of the fire wall, i normally bend that up so its straight to aid getting the cover off.

4 valves hey did a mn few weeks back and they take 4x as long to do than ml and i didnt have to adjust any! :x

good to see someone having a go its not that hard. With the exhaust side just us a socket and extension to crack the nut then adjust and tighten the nut back up and check again. Can be a pain full process but its sometimes the only way to do it!

I just helped my mech Chaser but when it is out of warranty I will def do it my self (need the mech's stamp till then).
As for the 4 valves he reckon that they were that close that he probably wouldn't have touched them... ;) but he reckoned that he wasn't going through that head f*$k just to run a set of gauges through it and bolt it all up..... :lol:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components