wheel bearings

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

Re: wheel bearings

Postby RHKTriton on Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:20 am

Should have been dyes not dies - bad influence of our poor writing in newspapers.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Mon Aug 22, 2011 11:37 am

Homer wrote:Yeah I'm almost positive you just need to get at the back of the hub and can just knock the bearing out and replace with a new SKF jobby..that or pull it out from the front. Should be no issue and cheap.If the housing's flogged but not too bad you can use loctite or in worse situation use liquid metal putty.

I went back to the CV thread to get a pic I took of the bearing and carrier but the blokes photobucket account I used has been deleted along with our pics :| :roll:

If you wanted to you can strip out the "sealed' bit of the bearing and make it a serviceable bearing by drilling and tapping a grease nipple in the housing...probably wont give an advantage given the mud and stuff we regularly drive through...

Do you reckon it could be done on the side of the road homer (nock out old nock in new) or would you need a press to re seat the new one.... :?: has 26 still got the hubs from the cv how to day..... :?:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 pm

I'm assuming they would be tap in (slight clearance fit) unless there is damage to the housing by spinning (which I doubt would happen as much as bearings flogging out).

26 kindly offered me the ones he has but I will get an old one pretty soon and it's not worth 'experimenting' on a good set if I'll have a busted set in a few extra days.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby NTBB on Mon Aug 22, 2011 3:55 pm

Thanks for that Homer.... 8-)
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby ultimate on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:55 pm

We had Geek in today to fit the new wheel bearing. The quality of the after market hub is quite good and comes with a complete set of wheel studs already fitted (about $60 value on their own :shock: ). As discussed, replacement bearings will be available but I honestly believe this is quite a good way. These are especially good if you are looking at keeping one as a spare for remote travel. This set up would be pretty simple to change over on the side of the track where as pressing in a new bearing would be near impossible.

Here's a few pics to tell the story ;)
New Hub
Click to view larger picture
Old hub
Video of wheel movement- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a7xjhOqb2Y

New hub fitted (well almost. I was a bit impatient :lol: )

The old hub will be sent up to Homer tomorrow to track down a service kit ;)

These Kits are $100 + Freight or fitting.
Last edited by ultimate on Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby Snooozy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:13 pm

ultimate wrote:Video of wheel movement- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6a7xjhOqb2Y

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

wheel bearings

Postby ratstriton on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:15 pm

Wow fair bit of movement in the old one.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:30 pm

It'll drive a bit better now Geek. Must've shimmied like a basturd :lol: ...
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:46 pm

please p[lace a link to the after market supplier (or brand) so that this thread is complete.

There sure was a bit of movement there.

wonder at what service these are due for replacement?

NOTE- the rears are even more critical in a Mitsubishi as they hold the axle in.
if the rear bearings go on a track the rear axle will worm its way out of the housing.
stop every 100m jack up the vehicle- push the axle back in and drive on- if you don't have trail spares (or a flat bed)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:52 pm

It was a repco supplied part. Their website is a bit crap if you ask me. Buckley's of getting a link into that part on their website I suspect. Brendan is fortunate to have their distribution centre just down the street 8-) so he gets easy access to them.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby gauci204 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:53 pm

for $150 id be keeping a spare on hand, or two if on a long trip etc.
gauci204

Postby ultimate on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:07 pm

It was a repco supplied part. Their website is a bit crap if you ask me. Buckley's of getting a link into that part on their website I suspect. Brendan is fortunate to have their distribution centre just down the street so he gets easy access to them.

X2 The REPCO distribution centre down the road has paid itself off a few times now. Especially with a free tool box :twisted: Nobody else I spoke to had a listing but the guys here said they had a bearing supplier in Melbourne who had just bought them into the country.

The other point I forgot to mention is these hubs come with Repco's 1 year/20,000km warranty.
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby borngeek on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:22 pm

Big thanks to Brendan personally for chasing this up all week for me and further the ultimate team. Pete (legend) did a extra job today off the morning job cards. rare service :D
(Obviously big thanks to Ken for allowing me to interrupt his workshop today AGAIN :oops: He loves it deep down :? :oops:

Drives a LOT better. The bearing got progressively worse after failure. So I did pick it fairly early and you will know it is going eventually. I went 4wding on the failure for some reason :roll:

Big squealing noise thru a corner and starts getting rougher like any wheel bearing failure... had me worried the wheel just drop off with no warning :lol: :shock:

At $150 this is cheap insurance for anyone going offroad/touring... has spare wheel studs so very universal spare as only need the one for both sides..
I will be adding a extra spare end cap, split pin, spring washer and nut to the spare kit.

Tools pretty basic and can be done pretty quick. Once Homer has revived (well we all live in hope) the CV thread the first part is removing and replacing the wheel bearing assembly.

If my old one is rebuildable, excellent! :D This means the old one is cheaply replacing the lost spare! 8-)

Again cheers Ultimate and Homer :mrgreen:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:37 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:It was a repco supplied part.

has anybody got the Repco part number? & does it fit ML & MN. I would expect it would but would be worth checking
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:23 pm

Not a bad price for a hub/bearing assembly. Some of the bearings in front drive units can get to around $200 mark on their own.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:59 am

has anybody got the Repco part number? & does it fit ML & MN. I would expect it would but would be worth checking

Pretty sure it's universal for the new Tritons. The part number is RWH6210.
The Team at
ultimate

Postby ag9111 on Thu Sep 08, 2011 5:39 pm

Bearing No on the hub I have is Koyo 2DUFOSON-7. That is a genuine part No and does not relate to a bearing no.
Will measure up when I open it up.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Zantus on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:25 pm

Any further feedback on the bearing numbers, and can you just replace the bearing and not the entire hub?

I'm busy replacing my damaged CV, so I thought I might as well do the bearing as there is a bit of a rumble when cornering at speed.

Not sure if I'll be able to get the replacement hubs, so I might have to get the complete hubs from the dealer if I have to go that route :shock:

Replacement bearings on the other hand will cost me almost nothing....the advantage of using very expensive bearings in my designs, so the suppliers are always helpful when it comes to bearings for my own stuff.
Zantus

Postby Homer on Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:37 pm

No mate, it's hubs only. We have good relations with bearing suppliers too and they are a closed item.

Also need presses and a fair bit of mucking around to change them. It's the hub or nothing I'm afraid.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Mattstruck on Sun Dec 04, 2011 7:47 pm

How well sealed are the stock items? How susceptible are they to mud, sand etc?
Mod talk:
Sometimes indecipherable to the average Civillian. Example:
Homer:
I clearly remember Joe stating categorically that he prefers it in the bottom
Joe:
I didn't say it was better in the bottom, I just said it was easier and quicker.
Mattstruck

Postby Zantus on Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:30 pm

Thanks Homer, guess I'll have to start searching for replacement bearings...would prefer not to support the stealers.
Zantus

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:36 am

The bearings are sealed well...same as normal sealed brgs - however the set I checked out to try and get a replacement for looked to have failed due to water/contaminate ingress so it's not foolproof.

Sorry for the bad news Zantus :( I was surprised myself as we can usually get bearings for just about anything - including special manufacturer only lines :?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Zantus on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:18 pm

In my last post I was referring to the Repco hubs instead of the genuine items from the dealer.....I hope I don't have to buy the hubs from the dealer.
Zantus

Postby Homer on Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:53 pm

Sorry mate, yes there are repco hubs available. I believe ultimate Suspension may be able to help you with that?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Harro on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Gday Geek,

I've been selling bearings for nearly thirty years. I generally steer clear of automotive as its just too hard to service if your not geared up for that style of market (too hard to get catalogues Etc.) My business is geared around industrial.

Give me a day or so and i'll see what i can come up with. Not real sure if u can replace just the bearing as they are a hub assembly as per yr diagram and u wld normally replace the complete assly.

Tightening the nut on the stub axle will do jack shit as this style of brg has a split inner race that when pulled together sets the preload of the bearing. Not like a trailer set up with tapered roller brgs where you can adjust the preload.

I am very surprised you dont have any noise , if that is the case its probably not going to fall off tomorrow. But keep an eye on it.

If i can get hold of something at the right price u can have it for my cost plus GST and an airbag.

All the same i might c if i can put a list of brgs used in Tritons together and post it for all to use.

See how i go.

Regs Steve
Harro

PreviousNext

Return to Drive Train Components