wheel bearings

Engines, Gearboxes, Transfers, Tailshafts, Diffs, axles and CVs

wheel bearings

Postby borngeek on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:49 am

Hi All,

Did a cursory search and seems this has not been discussed yet.

Yesterday while changing over to my mud set I notice play in the passenger front wheel... A decent amount of play. Only able to wobble entire wheel with a big heavy tire on for leverage. Very hard to test with just the rotor as it floats naturally, you need to have tyre tensioned against axle.

At first it was possible that the stub axle required tension as I have had a front locker installed (possible scenario)
Took off cap, split pin and applied 32mm socket on extension and a long steel tube for leverage...
Nope it was tight.

So I have stuffed a bearing.

I could/might try the warranty line (only 60,000K on clock) but likely just replace with aftermarket which is almost HALF the price of Mits genuine (yes half!)

Another thing discovered is they are NOT REBUILD-ABLE. Sealed unit sold as a stub by MMAL at exorbitant value. Amazing how expensive genuine parts are for these vehicles. :evil:

Next time you have your car up on jacks give your wheel bearings a test just to make sure. Especially if you discover a slight vibration through the front end on highway runs... I have that symptom.

NOTE: Not a panic item, I admittedly submit the vehicle to 'rigorous testing'
:mrgreen:

EDIT: video of movement
Last edited by borngeek on Sat Mar 30, 2013 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Re: wheel bearings

Postby NTBB on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:19 am

No rumble to let you know it was on the way out geek... :?:
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby aiden71 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:42 am

I just had a rear replaced at 20 thousand, didnt even bother with the bullshit of the dealer.
Pedders did it for $500 :shock: but at least I know it was done properly 8-)
aiden71

Postby jop on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:52 am

Rear locker FTW

Click to view larger picture
jop

Postby ag9111 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 11:59 am

borngeek wrote:
NOTE: Not a panic item, I admittedly submit the vehicle to OVER 'rigorous testing'
:mrgreen:
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ultimate on Sat Aug 20, 2011 12:02 pm

It's the front passenger side which has gone on Geek's. Mitsubishi say special order, 5 week wait and $280 Trade.

Aftermarket sealed hubs are available for the front for $150 brand new. 2nd hand from the wreckers with unknown kms was $185 :shock: It pays to ring around before you buy.
The Team at
Australian Ultimate Suspension Pty. Ltd
Phone: +612 9618 7674
http://www.ultimatesuspension.com.au YouTube Facebook
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

wheel bearings

Postby Kegsy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:51 pm

Sure it's a bearing and not a balljoint?

Flexing the wheel like that can show play in a balljoint also. Might be worth a check to be 100% sure considering the cost.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:25 pm

Kegsy wrote:Sure it's a bearing and not a balljoint?

Flexing the wheel like that can show play in a balljoint also. Might be worth a check to be 100% sure considering the cost.

What you talking about? Did not think this existed on a IFS vehicle :?
To diagnose, I left the cap off and tacked on the front tyre and front hub wobbled around the nut of the drive shaft/CV...

What ever is the dearest part is the part I have stuffed, no question about that :roll:

In image below, "17" is the culprit IMO. ;)
blownapart (Small).JPG

//[censored] Garth! :lol: :lol: (Jop I just plain ignore, pussay!)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:30 pm

correct though :lol: :lol:

Better order parts 19 and 21 whilst your at it. ;)

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:53 pm

ag9111 wrote:correct though :lol: :lol:

I have spare ones of those.... smartarse :lol:

NTBB wrote:No rumble to let you know it was on the way out geek... :?:

Mate, it is quiet as a church mouse. Even when rocking it around. It has enough movement to move the caliper and everything. It is a proper failure with little symptoms. I do detect a slight front wheel vibration at about 100km/h+
Will be interesting to have a good look at it when replaced. It has also started to wear the outer edge of the brake rotor. So it has been like that for a while :oops:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:46 pm

ultimate wrote:It's the front passenger side which has gone on Geek's. Mitsubishi say special order, 5 week wait and $280 Trade.

Aftermarket sealed hubs are available for the front for $150 brand new. 2nd hand from the wreckers with unknown kms was $185 :shock: It pays to ring around before you buy.

Big thanks to Brendan and Ultimate for being my 'phone a friend' although I think I should be charging them for entertainment :roll:
Will be fitting one of these aftermarket units. Yeah I could chase down warranty but my time is worth more than the hassle and they know it. :| (dont make me go to rant thread mods :lol: )

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Sat Aug 20, 2011 4:52 pm

borngeek wrote:I have spare ones of those.... smartarse :lol:

:)

ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:12 pm

If ya have eyed the hub moving, then yeah its a bearing.

I thought maybe you felt the movement and just assumed it was a bearing. Only reason I thought this was there was no mention of a noise etc.

And for the record, balljoints do exist on IFS. Parts 15 & 13.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Kegsy wrote:If ya have eyed the hub moving, then yeah its a bearing.

I thought maybe you felt the movement and just assumed it was a bearing. Only reason I thought this was there was no mention of a noise etc.

And for the record, balljoints do exist on IFS. Parts 15 & 13.

Thanks mate! :D :D

Great info there Kegsy, why getting the thread started is a good thing ;)

//I am only a daft geek after all :oops:

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NTBB on Sat Aug 20, 2011 6:22 pm

borngeek wrote:
ag9111 wrote:correct though :lol: :lol:

I have spare ones of those.... smartarse :lol:

NTBB wrote:No rumble to let you know it was on the way out geek... :?:

Mate, it is quiet as a church mouse. Even when rocking it around. It has enough movement to move the caliper and everything. It is a proper failure with little symptoms. I do detect a slight front wheel vibration at about 100km/h+
Will be interesting to have a good look at it when replaced. It has also started to wear the outer edge of the brake rotor. So it has been like that for a while :oops:

The fact that it is a sealed unit and it gave no warning it may be one of tho's must have spares for the long range tourer... The after market price (thanks Brendan) would make that possibal.
Thanks for the feed back BG.... :D
I bought my 4wd out of NEED not want.
NTBB

Postby Homer on Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:06 pm

I never looked at it really closely, but I mentioned that sealed bearing in the how to change a CV thread and suspected that you could just knock the sealed bearing out with a decent pin punch and replace with a $30 bearing from SKF?

I assumed the only hassle was going to all the trouble to get at it (similar work to changing CV) compared to the old style bearings.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Tony on Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:32 pm

:lol: :lol: Chewed heaps of bearings on our ATV's like this. Eventually the knuckle shits (pt no 18) and wont hold the bearing firmly.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:34 am

I gather the bearing bearing is a press fit on the hub. How is the bearing/hub assembly fitted to the knuckle?

If you press the hub to get the bearing into the knuckle you'd be putting extreme pressure on the bearing components.

I replaced sealed bearings on my old Vito (about 190k km ) and they rumbled fairly loudly with no play. When the new ones were in all the noises gone.

Its pretty amazing what these sealed units put up with. The old style had the benefit of being serviceable but if the outer disintegrated you could watch your wheel go bush.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah I'm almost positive you just need to get at the back of the hub and can just knock the bearing out and replace with a new SKF jobby..that or pull it out from the front. Should be no issue and cheap.

If the housing's flogged but not too bad you can use loctite or in worse situation use liquid metal putty.

I went back to the CV thread to get a pic I took of the bearing and carrier but the blokes photobucket account I used has been deleted along with our pics :| :roll:

If you wanted to you can strip out the "sealed' bit of the bearing and make it a serviceable bearing by drilling and tapping a grease nipple in the housing...probably wont give an advantage given the mud and stuff we regularly drive through...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:13 am

I never looked at it really closely, but I mentioned that sealed bearing in the how to change a CV thread and suspected that you could just knock the sealed bearing out with a decent pin punch and replace with a $30 bearing from SKF?

I assumed the only hassle was going to all the trouble to get at it (similar work to changing CV) compared to the old style bearings.

I spoke with SPF, CBC and Burson auto parts. Nobody listed any actual bearings for the Triton. CBC listed a replacement hub but apparently it's still "on order" with no ETA. Repco on the other hand has a bearing supplier in Melbourne who has just listed the sealed unit. When we have the after market one fitted, we will pull apart Geek's and measure up the bearings. Hopefully they generic and we can build a newtriton rebuild kit ;)

At the moment the focus is getting Geek's Triton fixed so it's safe and can put up with his level of testing :twisted:
The Team at
Designers, Manufacturers and Installers of performance aftermarket suspension for Cars, Trucks and 4wds
ultimate

Postby snowman on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:17 am

Homer wrote:I went back to the CV thread to get a pic I took of the bearing and carrier but the blokes photobucket account I used has been deleted along with our pics :| :roll:

bugger. do we have the technology to rebuild this thread and bring it in forum?
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:33 am

snowman wrote:
Homer wrote:I went back to the CV thread to get a pic I took of the bearing and carrier but the blokes photobucket account I used has been deleted along with our pics :| :roll:

bugger. do we have the technology to rebuild this thread and bring it in forum?

I've sent a PM and hoping Snowie :cry:

Brendan, if you can just get me the numbers off the actual bearing I can get you a replacement no probs...probably pretty cheap too ;)

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby ultimate on Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:42 am

Sounds good mate. Wheel bearings aren't my business so happy to provide all the info to the forum in search of ideas ;)
The Team at
ultimate

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:47 pm

The scary thing with bearings is the scale of counterfeiting in the market. Talking to a bearing Rep several months ago, the copies are so good to look at that the only way to prove a unit is genuine, is by destructive testing. The only other way they have found is by testing the dies used in the print on packaging...amazing!

You'd think that all the similar vehicles, inc the Tris. Toys and ForDaz, etc could just use the same components.

Same issue as with brakes - about five standard components could cover from small buzz boxes to five tonne trucks.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Sun Aug 21, 2011 5:05 pm

In my experience the bearings will be standard off the shelf stuff - just labelled as to their size not labelled for the Triton, Hilux etc.

You wouldn't know if they were the same if you deal with them as car parts...bit like the uni filters being the same for the Bravo or whatever it is.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Next

Return to Drive Train Components