ProVent Modification - Lowering backpressure

Re: ProVent Modification - Lowering backpressure

Postby rodeddy on Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:18 pm

I thought this too but fitted one mainly thinking that the oily mist will line the inlet lines. As the inlet duct goes down to the intercooler then back up to the engine, thought oily mist build up would end up sitting in the intercooler over time making it less efficient??
just a thought..

Scott_ wrote:Bit of an old thread but just wondering if the provent or any catch can for that matter is really worth it. By itself the small amount of oil shouldn't have any effect on the engine that I can see.
Therefor if you have your EGR blocked off how is it any different to the oil that lubricates your piston rings?
rodeddy

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:45 pm

Still run mine but it does take up limited engine bay space.

It is still working ok. Some have come to grief by leaving the drain open allowing crud into the intake. Extra vigilance required when servicing. It does keep things a little cleaner in the intake though.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Scott_ on Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:10 pm

rodeddy wrote: oily mist build up would end up sitting in the intercooler over time making it less efficient??

Yeah I could see this could happen but I think the fine layer of oil in the intercooler would make a very minimal difference to heat dissipation. I don't believe it would 'pool' in the cooler as the airflow would in effect suck it straight through without it being allowed to settle.

Longranger1 wrote: Some have come to grief by leaving the drain open allowing crud into the intake. Extra vigilance required when servicing. It does keep things a little cleaner in the intake though.

Haha yeah I think this would post a greater risk to engine life compared to small quantities of oil through the intake.
Totally agree running a catch can of any description would keep it much cleaner though.
Scott_

Postby leonbee on Thu Sep 25, 2014 3:42 pm

Scott_ wrote:Bit of an old thread but just wondering if the provent or any catch can for that matter is really worth it. By itself the small amount of oil shouldn't have any effect on the engine that I can see.
Therefor if you have your EGR blocked off how is it any different to the oil that lubricates your piston rings?

I agree if you have Blocked off the EGR. A catch can is a must for those who do not want to block of the EGR.
Carbon and oil mix = Big sticky Mess. :o

The oil vapours return with (nitrogen oxide) also destroys your engine oil reducing its life.
leonbee

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks