ProVent Modification - Lowering backpressure

Re: ProVent Modification - Lowering backpressure

Postby kevin on Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:44 pm

I think with SM's comment my question may have been missed:

kevin wrote: I'm wondering if the filter would drain better if a small hole was drilled in the center of the bottom plate? Any thoughts - couldn't be too big otherwise would disrupt the airflow direction?
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
https://www.offroadsubarus.com/
kevin

Postby Longranger1 on Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't think it's needed as it would provide a pathway for oil mist to get through. The idea of several wraps of screen is that small oil droplets have to find a way through without colliding with the mesh. I don't think much would make it through though.

A convoluted pathway will condense and/or allow the oil droplet to stick to the mesh which would eventually drip down to the bottom as it does with the original element. Nothing changes there.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kevin on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:20 am

Except now you have oil also being collected in the centre of the modified filter by the stainless steel scrubber. I guess I don't completely understand how the oil gets from the filter to the drain - to me it looks like it travels down the filter and must make it way to the outside of the filter then over the bottom plate of the filter and drips into the collector at the bottom. I can't see what prevents some of that oil being sucked in by the return pipe?
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
kevin

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:39 am

kevin wrote:Except now you have oil also being collected in the centre of the modified filter by the stainless steel scrubber. I guess I don't completely understand how the oil gets from the filter to the drain - to me it looks like it travels down the filter and must make it way to the outside of the filter then over the bottom plate of the filter and drips into the collector at the bottom. I can't see what prevents some of that oil being sucked in by the return pipe?

Density and weight. Its no longer a mist
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kevin on Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:36 pm

Fair 'nuff - makes sense!
MY'10 MN GLX-R auto
MY'03 Forester XS
kevin

Postby simonb on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:29 am

Have many people done the modifications to the filter? How has the filter performed over time?
Is there a risk of strands of the stainless getting through the system or will the mesh prevent this.

Also wondering if the provent filter can be washed as mentioned earlier, maybe kero etc. when car is serviced.
GLX-R MY07
simonb

Postby Longranger1 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:09 am

simonb wrote:Have many people done the modifications to the filter? How has the filter performed over time?
Is there a risk of strands of the stainless getting through the system or will the mesh prevent this.

Also wondering if the provent filter can be washed as mentioned earlier, maybe kero etc. when car is serviced.

No issues at all with this mod. You probably don't need the stainless pot scourer stuff, it cannot get past the flyscreen wrap anyway. Overkill on my part :roll: .

Although ProVent don't probably recommend it, you can wash the element with a volatile solvent. Just be sure to make sure it perfectly dry before refitting, otherwise you may get a nasty, expensive engine blow up. Petrol fumes and the like can cause an engine runaway or cracked piston damage. :shock:

I think you would soon get sick of cleaning it though as it is a tedious job. :|

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Sun Feb 19, 2012 2:00 pm

I've been running this mod now ever since Pete put this thread up, as I also noticed oil residue inside my TB whilst running the Provent.

I've got 3 layers of "puppy mesh" from bunnings wrapped around the external wall of the cartridge. Its a synthetic fly screen mesh, quite strong.

I didn't bother with the scourer inside the cartridge. Just left it open as per normal.

I can report the provent is still catching oil. Im not sure if its catching as much as before, but the outlet hose remains dry and free of oil.

Quite happy with the results. Will keep an eye on things for a while longer but it does seem to have improved flow without sacrificing much filtration. :mrgreen:
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:39 pm

Just finished doing the mod to my Provent.
I took the hose off the end of the Provent and it was clean and dry but there was a fair amount of oil residue inside the pipe that joins the turbo to the intercooler. :shock: Does this mean my turbo seals are stuffed or is it normal to get a bit of blow-by :?: Will see if its good now that i've modified the Provent? Time will tell.. I will check the hose again in a few weeks and see. :?
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:04 pm

srb wrote:Just finished doing the mod to my Provent.
I took the hose off the end of the Provent and it was clean and dry but there was a fair amount of oil residue inside the pipe that joins the turbo to the intercooler. :shock: Does this mean my turbo seals are stuffed or is it normal to get a bit of blow-by :?: Will see if its good now that i've modified the Provent? Time will tell.. I will check the hose again in a few weeks and see. :?

Just keep an eye on it. You'll probably find that the oil from the compressor seal will be reduced after the mod.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. It is pretty hard to destroy the seal anyway.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:19 pm

Just a heads up.... compressor seals can weep a tad, Looks worse than what it is......Long as excessive oil consumption is not noticed, nothing to worry about. Most do it. (All my oilers do it)

Yes, you guessed it, fit a provent and we still get a nice oil mist to the intake. ;)
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Froggy on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:24 pm

Tony wrote:Just a heads up.... compressor seals can weep a tad, Looks worse than what it is......Long as excessive oil consumption is not noticed, nothing to worry about. Most do it. (All my oilers do it)

Yes, you guessed it, fit a provent and we still get a nice oil mist to the intake. ;)

Is it really a result of backpressure or just oil pressure causing the weap?
I'm just a bit sceptical of this whole thread...
Froggy

Postby Tony on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:52 pm

froggymicb wrote:
Tony wrote:Just a heads up.... compressor seals can weep a tad, Looks worse than what it is......Long as excessive oil consumption is not noticed, nothing to worry about. Most do it. (All my oilers do it)

Is it really a result of backpressure or just oil pressure causing the weap?
I'm just a bit sceptical of this whole thread...

OK, it works like this..........

What LR is conveying here is, if we have pressure building up in the crank case it makes head pressure on the turbo oil return line. This should have no restriction as to speak... The turbo seals cant hold the oil pressure if the oil return is restricted or blocked, this also causes heat issues with non water cooled turbos.

How ever, it is still normal to see some oil seepage in an ideal environment. A pressurized crank case situation as a result of a restrictive provent would be way worse than a straight PCV set up. (We usually see oil weeps around various seals, Rocker cover, or pop the dip stick if badly restricted)

Bottom line is, we often see an oil mist to the intake via the turbine seal, even if you were to vent the crank case to atmosphere, as the older oilers were. Obviously we cant do this today :roll:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bradfree on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:15 am

I've read this thread with a great deal of interest as I too have fitted the Provent.

Would the Provent outlet connected to the inlet manifold have negative pressure (it would suck so to speak)? Therefore simply blowing into the hose of the Provent would not give a true indication of back pressure unless the vehicle was running and the hose connected to the inlet manifold. Surely this suction from the inlet manifold would help negate any pressure caused by the filter?
Cheers Brad.
bradfree

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 10:07 am

Might be ok on a naturally aspirated engine but with a turbo you will pressurize the sump with whatever boost pressure it can achieve. Not good at all...

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:00 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Seen someone do that once. :shock: In the early days of aftermarket turbos to a what was a closed PCV NA six.
Dip stick.... gone, seals.... gone. most gaskets... gone...... Oil.... all gone! :lol: :lol: It ended very badly.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Longranger1 on Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:53 pm

Such things create steep learning curves... :lol: :lol: :lol:

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Rhoden on Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:50 pm

So .. whats the consensus guys ? You got me freaking out here ! I too have the provent on a 2010 GLXR.
Drained about 20ml oil a few weeks ago after about 6 months after install. Maybe I should get some puppy mesh too.
3 wraps would be enough?
Rhoden

Postby Steane on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:35 pm

No issue with my Provent ;)

Maybe it's an MN thing?

There must be hundreds of thousands of these things fitted to TDs around the world and I can't find any mention of this issue online aside from here.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:38 pm

Maybe no one ever thought to check?

I know i didn't....

There are a few switched on guys in this place. I for one listen to what they say, and in this instance it makes a lot o sense.

Do what Pete said and blow on the hose. See for yourself
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Sky Miner on Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:21 pm

IMO ;)
Putting anything 'extra' in the filter would be a bad idear...it's not/hasen't been designed to have anything put inside "with" the filter.
Trying to capture that extra oil mist is pointless :roll: you might as well pull the filter out and fill it up with clean rags
Thats prob why your getting so much restrictive flow cuz your filter is filling up with oil sludge.
I have recently cleaned mine and got a fair bit of oil out of it (7k) and it's breathing fine if not better now.
Has anybody pulled out the filter' recaped it, and blowen through the hose to see how restrictive it is then....bet the flow is pretty good. ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby Longranger1 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:18 pm

Sky Miner wrote:IMO ;)
Has anybody pulled out the filter' recapped it, and blown through the hose to see how restrictive it is then....bet the flow is pretty good. ;)

I did just that, and now with the mod it breaths just as well with the modified filter. Each to their own. If you don't want to modify, so be it. But I'm very happy with the way it turned out. 8-) :D

MN turbo lag? What lag??

Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ellewill on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:18 pm

Longranger1 wrote:
Sky Miner wrote:IMO ;)
Has anybody pulled out the filter' recapped it, and blown through the hose to see how restrictive it is then....bet the flow is pretty good. ;)

I did just that, and now with the mod it breaths just as well with the modified filter. Each to their own. If you don't want to modify, so be it. But I'm very happy with the way it turned out. 8-) :D

Hi All,

I am looking a getting on of these for my 2010 GLX-R. Are they worth it? I gather from all the threads that they are! How easy are they to instal? Does anyone have step by step instructions? Is there somewhere in Western Sydney that installs this kind of thing?

Thanks in advance for any info.

Cheers,

Scotty
ellewill

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:36 pm

Here ya go scotty plenty of info for ya to read on catch cans & provent filters ;)

Click here: viewtopic.php?f=22&t=4708&hilit=provent+200
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:48 pm

Intercooler makes a good oil trap. Just take a look through the outlet pipe!

The engine isn't actually pumping gases out of the vent in a continuous stream. As the pistons move up and down, a cloud of oil vapour is being forced out and in of the rocker cover. Some of this will flood into the airstream of the intake plumbing and head for the intake manifold to join the EGR products.

The provent's job is to trap the heavier oil vapours in the vent's air/vapour flow, hopefully not restricting this pulsating flow.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks