Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Tomola on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:28 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Tomola wrote:quick update, the dealer has denied warranty - the head office attack begins.. reloading ammunition as we speak! :evil:

Good luck, I hope you are successful.

Thanks mate - success is the only direction.
'14 Challenger, custom dyno tuned with LPG injection, MRR lift, arb bar, kaymar rear bar, warn 12k, DCS Lithium dual batteries, 120W solar panel & reg, underbody armour, airtek snorkel, 135L Aux tank, rear poly airs, F&R diff lockers
Tomola

Postby Tomola on Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:30 pm

coughy wrote:
Tomola wrote:quick update, the dealer has denied warranty - the head office attack begins.. reloading ammunition as we speak! :evil:

where abouts are you m8 in brissy or melbourne??
if in brizzy would love to catch up for a chin wag and a looky at your rig

Hey mate yeah the vehicle is actually at the Beaudesert Mitsubishi dealer as we speak! As soon as this warranty BS is resolved ide be more than happy to catch up...
'14 Challenger, custom dyno tuned with LPG injection, MRR lift, arb bar, kaymar rear bar, warn 12k, DCS Lithium dual batteries, 120W solar panel & reg, underbody armour, airtek snorkel, 135L Aux tank, rear poly airs, F&R diff lockers
Tomola

Postby Tomola on Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:41 pm

So picked up my car yesterday afternoon from the Mitsubishi dealer after they fitted a new turbo (which I had supplied, that had a few upgrades done to it) and drove straight to the tuner to get the new turbo tuned correctly and upload the modified maps.

Over boost gone! Finished, done and dusted. The factory mapping has a setting for over boost which is around 2-3psi over the factory boost setting and if it's triggered it goes into limp mode. They simply deleted this setting from the maps and over boost is solved. I tested it on the way home up 2 major hills at WOT where it would always go into limp mode and it's fine now nothing happens.

Also didn't need to install any dawes value, needle, VGT manual boost controllers nothing. With the mechanical enhancement of the MTS compressor wheel we could tune the boost to sit completely flat at 25psi it doesn't creep or die off all the way to 4200RPM. When you plant your foot from a standstill it spools very quickly hits full boost at 1500RPM due to the LPG injection and MTS compressor wheel up to 25psi and sits flat there are no more spikes and so I'm confident this turbo will last a good 100,000km! Happy days!

If you fit a aftermarket exhaust you have a very good chance of triggering the over boost - address the spikes if you have them first with turbo upgrade (like I did) or manual boost control and then delete the over boost setting from the maps and your good to go.
Tomola

Postby coughy on Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:51 am

m8 not a good thing to delete the over boost setting
this is a design to stop your turbo from going bang hope it all works for you
can u pm me the cost of the turbo upgrades and where as i would like to think about it as well
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tomola on Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:34 am

coughy wrote:m8 not a good thing to delete the over boost setting
can u pm me the cost of the turbo upgrades and where as i would like to think about it as well

IF the factory electronic boost controller fails your turbo is not going to spool to 36PSI! There is a mechanical fail safe built into the actuator so no issues with deleting the over boost setting. I would not risk blowing up my motor if this wasn't the case.

The vehicle is setup for long distance touring I've crossed the Northern Simpson twice already and every modification has an underlying theme - reliability.
Tomola

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:12 am

Coughy posted last night that his was spooling to 32 psi. While not fatal immediately, the turbo will die prematurely if it keeps going so hard all the time.

So the question I guess remains as to whether yours has been modified to add some alternative safety measure.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby BillMcQuade on Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:12 pm

Tomola wrote:

IF the factory electronic boost controller fails your turbo is not going to spool to 36PSI! There is a mechanical fail safe built into the actuator so no issues with deleting the over boost setting. I would not risk blowing up my motor if this wasn't the case.

The vehicle is setup for long distance touring I've crossed the Northern Simpson twice already and every modification has an underlying theme - reliability.

They can, and do runaway (I have seen the evidence of this). Overboost is not the only issue, as the turbo can also be subjected to overspeed, which causes mechanical damage (this can be a cumulative effect). The overboost setting in the ECU is actually the ultimate failsafe. The actuator can fail in the "max boost" position, which leads to uncontrolled boost and spindle speed. In this case, the ECU would shut down/limp the engine, unless this parameter has been removed...... :shock:
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tomola on Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:59 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Coughy posted last night that his was spooling to 32 psi. While not fatal immediately, the turbo will die prematurely if it keeps going so hard all the time.

So the question I guess remains as to whether yours has been modified to add some alternative safety measure.

We tested it with the factory boost controller bypassed and it topped out at 18 psi. Mine is the last generation MY14 not sure if this has something to do with it.
Tomola

Postby Tomola on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:05 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Tomola wrote:

They can, and do runaway (I have seen the evidence of this). Overboost is not the only issue, as the turbo can also be subjected to overspeed, which causes mechanical damage (this can be a cumulative effect). The overboost setting in the ECU is actually the ultimate failsafe. The actuator can fail in the "max boost" position, which leads to uncontrolled boost and spindle speed. In this case, the ECU would shut down/limp the engine, unless this parameter has been removed...... :shock:

Having a boost gauge would be a good idea if you want to delete the parameter from the maps. Of course so would designing an exhaust system that doesn't cause turbo spikes!! I would have probably purchased a second hand factory exhaust instead of replacing it with an aftermarket $$$ one - as it's cost me a solid $5000 on top of the exhaust costs and many many days of messing around retuning, modifying other things etc.. to get the car back to "pre aftermarket exhaust state". At least it goes pretty hard now and a great drive and puts a smile on my face when I over take V6 petrol cars up hills... :D And the miss's doesn't know about the $6,5000..... :oops:
Tomola

Postby coughy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:25 pm

Tomola wrote:
Cowboy Dave wrote:Coughy posted last night that his was spooling to 32 psi. While not fatal immediately, the turbo will die prematurely if it keeps going so hard all the time.

We tested it with the factory boost controller bypassed and it topped out at 18 psi. Mine is the last generation MY14 not sure if this has something to do with it.

um sorry i dont wont to argue here m8 but i dont think you or the tester know what they are doing
are you kiding me wouldnt go over 18psi that is a load of horse____
it will easily do it and run away
you didnt have it by passed then if that is the case..
as alot of us on here know these little spinners can do alot more than 35psi ask the mad scientist TONY :lol:

but any how you are happy and good for you
lets see how long this one last lol ;)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tomola on Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:22 pm

I'm sure there are more failed turbos than failed factory boost controllers.. get a boost gauge if you don't already have one if you want to ____ with your boost settings.
Tomola

Postby coughy on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:47 pm

yes m8 we all have egt gauges and boost gauges so yer allgood we can and have seen well over 30psi on stock boost control nad more with stand alone no boost solinoid :lol:
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby MilkmanDan on Wed Oct 05, 2016 12:04 pm

I think what's trying to be explained further up the page is the vgt does not work the same as traditional turbo whereas the wastegate limits boost.
The vgt by nature is prone to overrun and id say the std turbo would only be able to bleed so much boost without modification.

Would maybe using the Pajero vgt be better at this or are the maps too out of whack for the capacity difference?

If you have modded it, can control boost then well done. Sign me up!!
MilkmanDan

Postby barry bow on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:50 am

Hi Tony I wish to purchase a Dawes valve setup for my mn triton do you have a website I can order online
barry bow

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:02 am

barry bow wrote:Hi Tony I wish to purchase a Dawes valve setup for my mn triton do you have a website I can order online

Email Tony@spvindustries.com and they'll fix you up.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby barry bow on Mon Oct 17, 2016 11:08 am

Thanks buddy
barry bow

Fault code when towing up hill

Postby hendo1987 on Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:19 pm

Hi

Today I was towing a small load up a hill on the freeway and had my Triton throw a code. It lost almost all power but was still running smooth. I turned the car off and on which meant I could continue to drive it, but the engine light stayed on. The car then continued going into limp mode about 5 times in total (all on long uphill sections of road).

Once I got off the freeway it didn't miss a beat, even on small uphill sections of road. I checked for any codes when I got home but nothing came up. Boost looked to be normal at around 20psi.

Has anyone else had this issue? My Triton is a 2011 2.5 Manual 4x4.
hendo1987
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Fault code when towing up hill

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:02 pm

overboost
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Dec 10, 2016 6:04 pm

Yes, overboost. Hendo, have a read through this thread.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby jakeyboy40 on Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:27 pm

I'm running a 3inch playtime exhaust and twice now my engine light has come on, the car has lost all power when doing roughly 110km on the freeway. Is it because of my exhaust or another issue as my mechanic said it may have just been a once of. 2nd time happened today, would this be 'overboost'?
jakeyboy40

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:08 am

Yes.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Mon Dec 12, 2016 4:26 pm

jakeyboy40 wrote:I'm running a 3inch playtime exhaust and twice now my engine light has come on, the car has lost all power when doing roughly 110km on the freeway. Is it because of my exhaust or another issue as my mechanic said it may have just been a once of. 2nd time happened today, would this be 'overboost'?

Under what conditions did it go into limp mode?

The overboost limp happens when at high rpm and under load conditions usually over 8- 10sec such as a long uphill or when trying to overtake.

It's the compromise of having a 3"zoorst.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jakeyboy40 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 3:30 pm

srb wrote:
jakeyboy40 wrote:I'm running a 3inch playtime exhaust and twice now my engine light has come on, the car has lost all power when doing roughly 110km on the freeway. Is it because of my exhaust or another issue as my mechanic said it may have just been a once of. 2nd time happened today, would this be 'overboost'?

Under what conditions did it go into limp mode?

The overboost limp happens when at high rpm and under load conditions usually over 8- 10sec such as a long uphill or when trying to overtake.

It's the compromise of having a 3"zoorst.

Happened the first time when overtaking. The 2nd time was sitting on 110 down the freeway
jakeyboy40

Postby Sharkey on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:06 pm

Hi Guys,

Well after reading through all the threads regarding 'Overboost' it would appear my MN11 is now experiencing similar issues! Hopefully I can resolve it without too much fuss.

I was traveling back home to Canberra yesterday along the Hume Highway and had not long passed the Wagga turn off, I then came to the big steep hill soon after (Wagga Hill) and was in cruise control going up, maintaining 110km/h (not towing). I then went to over take a truck at approximately the half way mark and not long after the Triton kicked back a gear to maintain speed and all of a sudden the engine light came on and it went into Limp Mode!

At the time I had no idea what it could be as I'd never experienced this situation before.

Anyway in the end, it had to be towed back to the Mitsubishi Service agent in Canberra (209km from where I was) and once they'd thrown the computer on it was clear that it had generated a P1298 (VGT System Over Pressure) code.

Now I'm currently running the DP Chip along with a 3" Diesel Experts Exhaust, all of which Berrima Diesel setup last Nov/Dec. I also have the Pro Vent Oil Catch Can along with the EGR Blanking plate (with hole), and these were also fitted around the same time as the Chip/Exhaust. The latest mod I've done in the past 3-4 weeks has been the long range tank (125 Litre Iron Man), so yes it's added a little extra weight on top of everything else so that would be making it work harder but had I been towing a caravan as well than my situation could have been far worst!

Mitsubishi did seem to think that it was a combination of having the snorkel as well as the 3" Exhaust that made it to overboost under such conditions, too efficient with the air were their words and that the only way I could resolve this was to roll back to the OEM exhaust, of which I no longer possess!

Surely there is a much easier fix than this!

Happy to hear your thoughts but I would prefer for this not to occur again as it scared the living daylights out of me!

Thanks Guys
Sharkey

Postby Geoff3DMN on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:26 pm

The more I read about this issue the more reluctant I am to fit a 3 inch exhaust and chip!

But I do want a bit more power, since I fitted the larger wheels and all the accessories the performance is a bit... lacking.

If I fit a chip with the stock exhaust I assume I won't have over boost issues but will I have EGT issues?

Does anybody know?
Geoff3DMN
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks