Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Airved on Wed Feb 01, 2017 8:24 am

Trever13b wrote:After reading this thread about over boost I am a little concerned that I may have made a bad decision. Is there a solid fix to ensure that I don't get over boost whilst I'm towing my camper trailer or driving flat out up hills overtaking.


Just don't push it too hard up hills and I reckon you'll be fine.

I've had my 3" exhaust, blanking plate, snorkel, K&N filter and 32" tyres for over 70,000km and have towed a boat up Mt Clyde more times than I can count. Scangauge has never shown more than 25PSI.

A mate of mine also has an almost identical setup and tows an even larger boat. Neither of us have ever had overboost issues. I think it comes down to driving style rather than reliability of the engine.
Airved
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:10 am
Location: Canberra


 

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Sharkey on Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:20 pm

Airved wrote:
Trever13b wrote:After reading this thread about over boost I am a little concerned that I may have made a bad decision. Is there a solid fix to ensure that I don't get over boost whilst I'm towing my camper trailer or driving flat out up hills overtaking.


Just don't push it too hard up hills and I reckon you'll be fine.

I've had my 3" exhaust, blanking plate, snorkel, K&N filter and 32" tyres for over 70,000km and have towed a boat up Mt Clyde more times than I can count. Scangauge has never shown more than 25PSI.

A mate of mine also has an almost identical setup and tows an even larger boat. Neither of us have ever had overboost issues. I think it comes down to driving style rather than reliability of the engine.



I think your dead right, it definitely comes down to driving style!
I've since removed my EGR blanking plate since reading one of the latest posts from Berrima Diesel and talk about noticing a difference with the performance, and I mean this in a positive way. I'm hoping this now makes things better.
Sharkey
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 am

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:49 am

Sharkey wrote:
I think your dead right, it definitely comes down to driving style!
I've since removed my EGR blanking plate since reading one of the latest posts from Berrima Diesel and talk about noticing a difference with the performance, and I mean this in a positive way. I'm hoping this now makes things better.


FWIW, this is not necessarily a good move. I'm all for removing the blank, but it should be replaced by the "electronic" blanking method. There is no benefit to having an operational EGR on the 4D56T, aside from emissions targets. In some markets, the EGR is not fitted. Fact; with an operational EGR, your manifold will end up filled with sludge, which will contribute to higher emissions anyway. Why, as consumers, we are expected to willingly subject ourselves to the ongoing cost of cleaning the inlet manifold, is beyond me.

Also, I don't know why people rate Berrima Diesel so highly :? IMHO, some of their articles/comments are thinly disguised sales pitches. I also disagree with some of the technical comments they make, and I'm not alone in this.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
User avatar
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm
Location: The 'Gong

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:25 am

I would also recommend using the electronic egr defeat as you're effectively putting the egr driver to sleep which stops its wear & tear.

A blanking plate is still good as a secondary protection if fitted after the cooler in case it ever develops a leak and wants to dump coolant into the manifold.

If they wanted a source of inert gas, I don't know why they didn't tap the exhaust pipe further downstream and not need a water cooler? They could even have fitted a replaceable soot trap in this setup.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: La trobe Valley - Gippsland

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Redneck198033 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:20 pm

ag9111 wrote:Read this thread Trever and then ask all the questions you want.

A 3" exhaust has been proven to give no noticeable improvements to a stock motor. I think you need your pants seat Dyno recalibrated.



Not sure on your evidence here, but when I put my 3"exhaust only on I noticed heaps more power & torque while pulling a 1.5 Tonne camper trailer.

After the chip went in wow loads better to drive cuts down on the poor turbo lag feeling. drivability is much better. In my mine.
Redneck198033
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Redneck198033 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:24 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Sharkey wrote:
I think your dead right, it definitely comes down to driving style!
I've since removed my EGR blanking plate since reading one of the latest posts from Berrima Diesel and talk about noticing a difference with the performance, and I mean this in a positive way. I'm hoping this now makes things better.


FWIW, this is not necessarily a good move. I'm all for removing the blank, but it should be replaced by the "electronic" blanking method. There is no benefit to having an operational EGR on the 4D56T, aside from emissions targets. In some markets, the EGR is not fitted. Fact; with an operational EGR, your manifold will end up filled with sludge, which will contribute to higher emissions anyway. Why, as consumers, we are expected to willingly subject ourselves to the ongoing cost of cleaning the inlet manifold, is beyond me.

Talking to the mechanic last time they pulled my manifold of he said is was very clean due to the catch can I installed. So this can be a method of keeping the black sticky out of the intercooler & manifold.

Also, I don't know why people rate Berrima Diesel so highly :? IMHO, some of their articles/comments are thinly disguised sales pitches. I also disagree with some of the technical comments they make, and I'm not alone in this.
Redneck198033
 
Posts: 53
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 6:37 pm

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:09 pm

Redneck198033 wrote:Not sure on your evidence here, but when I put my 3"exhaust only on I noticed heaps more power & torque while pulling a 1.5 Tonne camper trailer.


The effect you are feeling is called confirmation bias.

The dyno proves that there is sweet FA difference in kW or Nm between stock and 3". I've personally seen the proof.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
User avatar
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm
Location: The 'Gong

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby ag9111 on Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Redneck198033 wrote:
ag9111 wrote:Read this thread Trever and then ask all the questions you want.

A 3" exhaust has been proven to give no noticeable improvements to a stock motor. I think you need your pants seat Dyno recalibrated.



Not sure on your evidence here, but when I put my 3"exhaust only on I noticed heaps more power & torque while pulling a 1.5 Tonne camper trailer.

After the chip went in wow loads better to drive cuts down on the poor turbo lag feeling. drivability is much better. In my mine.


Dyno tuning by many members from this forum.

3" exhaust will drop EGT though and most make a better sound. Mine certainly sounds better
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
User avatar
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 4840
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2008 2:00 pm
Location: Wollongong, NSW

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Sharkey on Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:52 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Redneck198033 wrote:Not sure on your evidence here, but when I put my 3"exhaust only on I noticed heaps more power & torque while pulling a 1.5 Tonne camper trailer.


The effect you are feeling is called confirmation bias.

The dyno proves that there is sweet FA difference in kW or Nm between stock and 3". I've personally seen the proof.


I also agree with Redneck, I did the Dyno with the stock exhaust and then again with the new 3" Exhaust only and there was a significant improvement. I then added the DP Chip into the equation with the new exhaust and up she went again! No looking back for me.
Sharkey
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 am

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:59 pm

Sharkey wrote:
BillMcQuade wrote:
Redneck198033 wrote:Not sure on your evidence here, but when I put my 3"exhaust only on I noticed heaps more power & torque while pulling a 1.5 Tonne camper trailer.


The effect you are feeling is called confirmation bias.

The dyno proves that there is sweet FA difference in kW or Nm between stock and 3". I've personally seen the proof.


I also agree with Redneck, I did the Dyno with the stock exhaust and then again with the new 3" Exhaust only and there was a significant improvement. I then added the DP Chip into the equation with the new exhaust and up she went again! No looking back for me.


Strange, that is completely different to what has previously been seen.

What brand of exhaust was this?

Got any print outs of those dyno runs?
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
User avatar
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm
Location: The 'Gong

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Sharkey on Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:41 am

This was the 'Diesel Experts Exhaust' ie one of the ones which Berrima Diesel recommends.
I alao have the Dyno printout as well showing all 3 combinations. Happy to send this through if you like.
Sharkey
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 am

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby BillMcQuade on Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:07 am

Sharkey wrote:This was the 'Diesel Experts Exhaust' ie one of the ones which Berrima Diesel recommends.
I alao have the Dyno printout as well showing all 3 combinations. Happy to send this through if you like.


Yes, If you could PM the sheets, or post them, that would be great.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
User avatar
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 2007
Joined: Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm
Location: The 'Gong

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Stormtrooper2 on Thu May 25, 2017 12:59 pm

biggibbo, What do you mean that you yanked your MAF sensor? Does that mean you replaced it? How much did that cost? I'm having similar problems.
User avatar
Stormtrooper2
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:15 pm

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby coughy on Tue May 30, 2017 6:22 pm

well i can happily say that my over boost issue is behind me now with the remap i DONT have any more limps or ob issues as i just come back from a trip towing a 2.5t van and i was going over the ranges with the foot to the wall running 32 psi boost lol when it spiked and sat on 28 all the time and no limp YAY FOR ME happy days finally getting this animal sorted

Get a remap and fix this crap once and for all
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
User avatar
coughy
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: Bayside ,Brisbane ,QLD

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Sharkey on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:00 pm

coughy wrote:well i can happily say that my over boost issue is behind me now with the remap i DONT have any more limps or ob issues as i just come back from a trip towing a 2.5t van and i was going over the ranges with the foot to the wall running 32 psi boost lol when it spiked and sat on 28 all the time and no limp YAY FOR ME happy days finally getting this animal sorted

Get a remap and fix this crap once and for all
Sorry Coughy, but who did your remap again?
ECU TEK remap from the guys at MRT Performance?
Sharkey
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 am

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby coughy on Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:34 pm

no m8 it was ultimate diesel tuning at geebung
great job by matty and the boys
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
User avatar
coughy
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 1587
Joined: Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:18 pm
Location: Bayside ,Brisbane ,QLD

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby msdavies on Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:16 pm

has anyone fixed this issue?
I have a MITSUBISHI TRITON GLX (4x4) MN MY14 when driving and reaching approximately 2500-3000 revs the ute will periodically go in to limp mode (traction control lights & engine light comes on). Pull over switch engine off, ute goes out of limp mode but engine light stays on.

P1299 has come up as error code. 2 different mechanics have looked at it.
Mechanics have found:
boost pressure to be lower than target pressure
inline hose filter to be restrictive
no leaks
boost control solenoid sensor has been replaced
turbo has been cleaned.

Still have same issue. Continuously lags boost at 2500-3000 revs but spontaneously goes in to limp mode when generally going up hill....
msdavies
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2018 7:53 am

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby Sharkey on Fri Aug 24, 2018 9:22 pm

Do you have any after market chip fitted? Reason I ask is because this is what ended up being the culprit for me!
Sharkey
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 5:08 am

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Aug 25, 2018 12:15 am

Faulty MAP sensor?

Cleaned MAF & manifold air temp sensors?

Rat stuck in air inlet?

Etc....
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 4301
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:05 pm
Location: La trobe Valley - Gippsland

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby trevtriton on Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:33 pm

BillMcQuade wrote:
Really? A design fault with VGTs? "Heaps" of them blowing up? :roll:

I have a mate who owns a very reputable and well known turbo building/modification shop, who sees some real tuning potential in VGTs.

Something else of interest is that you can also set them up to act as a switchable, ECU controlled exhaust brake. Might be a nice thing for those that tow.......


I know this is an old post, but more info Bill on the exhaust brake setup as I'm towing 2.7t all the time?
trevtriton
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:11 am
Location: Sunshine Coast

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby justinp on Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:22 pm

I’m starting to get really annoyed with this bloody overboosting, i fitted a catch can ( Provent, and blocked the EGR and secondary fuel filter) since then it over boosts every time I hit the freeway, so I fitted a Dawes valve and max boost set at 20 psi, still bloody overboost if I don’t feather the throttle, it’s got to the point that I don’t even try to overtake if on a hill as it’s bloody dangerous when it limps, I’m going to pull the block out to to see if it alleviates the issue, if it does, I’ll try drilling it, I don’t see why I should have to fork out $$$ for a custom tune to fix it, I’ll trade the bloody thing otherwise.
justinp
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:08 pm

Re: Fixing the overboost issues with the MN 2.5HP

Postby explorer.dave on Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:07 pm

I'm no expert but would suggest your blocked EGR is the culprit, swap it out completely with an electronic EGR delete, no need for a remap. The EGR plate was an earlier experiment, far better evolved from that. With the Dawes valve and E-EGR delete you should get a far better (and more pleasant) experience.
Better to be silent and thought a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt.

Penrith Panthers 2019....Suck :roll:

Posts should be like mini skirts, long enough to cover the subject matter, but short enough to keep things interesting
User avatar
explorer.dave
Platinum Subscriber
 
Posts: 942
Joined: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:32 am
Location: South Lake, Perth

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests