Fitting an Elec fan on Intercooler

Fitting an Elec fan on Intercooler

Postby trickydevil on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:56 pm

I've been discussing with Sheepo as to the best way to do this. I have found that since istalling my Bullbar the airflow has decreased to the intercooler and it doesn't seem to have as much power. Thought about installing a elec fan to the rear of the intercooler. Sheepo says they're about $30 on ebay.
The question left is how to wire it up. My thought was to have an override switch in the cab and generally have the on/off to the relay coming from the park lights. That way when the park lights are on it's running, but when you switch off the ute and lock it the lights turn off and then so does the fan and if driving at night and doing highway speeds you can switch the isolater in the ute off so it isn't running.
I'm a surveyor not an auto electrician. Does this seem like the right way to go??????? :? :? :?
trickydevil

Re: Fitting an Elec fan on Intercooler

Postby Naff on Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:13 pm

Probably best just to hook it up to the accessories circuit with an override switch. From ACCESSORIES supply, go to one side of switch, otherside of switch to coil of an automotive relay, then to negative/chassis. Another wire from BATTERY positive to relay contact, other side of contact to positive fan supply, negative side of fan to chassis.

See sketch...
DOC210808-0001.jpg

This way, it is on when the accessories are on and switch is on (and always on when engine running - lights or not). If you were parked up and just listening to the radio for a long period of time (without engine running) just flick the switch off.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trickydevil on Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:21 pm

Thank's. That's gold. Hopefully I'll get time in the coming weeks to get one and hook it up.
trickydevil

Postby timothy on Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:06 pm

trickydevil wrote:Thank's. That's gold. Hopefully I'll get time in the coming weeks to get one and hook it up.

how did it work out seeing its almost a year later ;D

and i dont think you have a link or name or something for that fan ?
timothy

Postby trickydevil on Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:09 pm

Still on the to do list. Have been busy doing reno's on the house and landscaping. Want it in before summer. Also looking at adding another water bottle and pump for water spraying to get it cooler. Will keep you posted.

Starting to get some more free time now that kids footy is nearly over and my shoulder has healed after disclocating it paying oztag.
trickydevil

Postby Quinny23 on Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:04 pm

After all the stuffing around have you thought about using a water/air inter cooler?

Also, with regard to wiring it up, My suggestion would be to have it hard wired (with fuse etc) and to use an thermo switch... that way it wont be on during say night driving or even at high speed... but on slower 4x4 work or hot days it'll kick in... shouldn't be hard to get a switch like this as most thermo fans run this way...

just place the sensor near the cooler itself..

As for spray over the cooler, you'd need to have a performance chip control this, for any real advantage. The heat soak into the inter cooler happens after the load has been placed on the motor, it therefor affects the next use of the turbo if it is required before it has time to shed the heat...

I'll see if I can find some of the links the ricers use to tune there WRX and Lancers with...

Nah... cant... here's a few...

http://www.freeengineinfo.com/intercooler-1.htm

http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/cu ... -2833.html

Basically the gist of the article I was looking for covered the time for the heat soak to set in and the best time to cool it and for how long and with how much... Keep searching google if you like... it was one of the more popular hits when I first stumbled on it... Im looking at the glycol/air systems at present.
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby trickydevil on Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:48 am

Not long after i did this post, I gave denco a call in regards to their water to air intercooler. They hadn't tried any out on the tritons yet and wagga wagga was abit to far away to be a development vehicle.

Hopefully get to do it soon. Finances have just been drained again, New boots for the pajero and my new muddies for the triton hopefully this week + new rims. Nice way to spend nearly 4K
trickydevil

Postby dueble on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:42 pm

i am going to throw this out there, do you think the decrease in performance is due to the increased weight of the bull bar?
dueble

Postby Quinny23 on Thu Oct 15, 2009 7:00 pm

Of course... more weight... where are you heading with that though?
Only Irish coffee provides in a single glass, all four essential food groups:
alcohol, caffeine, sugar and fat.

Quinny's Buildup
Quinny's CarPC
Quinny23@newhilux.net
Quinny23

Postby dueble on Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:49 pm

The extra weight is the cause of the power loss and not the restriction of air to the intercooler.
I think the fan will make very little difference to the performance of the engine due to the extra load on the alternator when it is switched on, the power gain is cancelled out. But I am wrong a lot of the time!
dueble

Postby Notso on Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:08 pm

Cripes, it must be a flamin heavy Bull Bar?
Notso

Postby sam on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:33 pm

ARB bar on it's own weighs 44 Kg plus all the bits to mount it ;)
sam

Postby Notso on Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:41 pm

Yeah, so that's about 2.5% of the tare weight? plus a few nuts and bolts?
Notso

Postby dueble on Tue Oct 27, 2009 7:25 pm

45 kilos? there you go, I thought they would weigh twice that.
dueble

Postby sam on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:29 pm

Got the scales out and weighed the rest and all up with mounting brackets etc approx 64 Kg's :roll:
sam

Postby dueble on Wed Oct 28, 2009 4:41 pm

Back on topic has anyone ever fitted an electric fan as said and had an improvement?
dueble

Postby GLX-R Alex on Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:43 pm

Has anyone removes the stock engine fan and fitted an electric fan on the radiator... That will have a bit of extra power to be had... My fan is noisy as...
GLX-R Alex

Postby MitchMN on Wed Nov 20, 2013 8:47 pm

I know its been quite a number of years since the last post but was just wondering if anyone has actually done this yet?
MitchMN

Postby kwyjibo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:00 am

There has been a thread created a few months ago showing that some particular model tritons do in fact have an existing wiring loom and plug to the front of the radiator/intercooler, only needing the factory thermo fan supplied from the challenger model, sold by mitsubishi dealers and it works in unison with the aircon... try a search for some keywords and see what you come up with
kwyjibo

Postby ag9111 on Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:08 am

As per what Kwyji wrote but the fan is mounted over the AC unit on the right, Not centred over the radiator/Intercooler
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwyjibo on Thu Nov 21, 2013 8:31 am

ag9111 wrote:As per what Kwyji wrote but the fan is mounted over the AC unit on the right, Not centred over the radiator/Intercooler

Meh, i only pay just enough attention to pretend to know what i'm talking about, or be vague enough that i don't have to know ;) :lol:
kwyjibo

Postby MitchMN on Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:24 pm

Ahh righto might just weld some tabs on and fashion something up, the old xrox doesn't allow for much airflow.
MitchMN

Postby oldplodder on Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:45 pm

My 96 diesel pajero had a fan under the intercooler.
Was switched by ambient temp. Once the under bonnet temps rose, it would come on.
Generally if outside temps were over 35 deg, or slow running above 30 deg.

Like Quinny said, if you can't find the circuit others have talked about, run the fan control of a thermal sensor next to the intercooler.

Or go and find the fan and circuit off a 2.8 (4m40) diesel pajero at the wreckers.
Look for the bonnet scoop.
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby variflex on Fri Nov 22, 2013 6:01 pm

variflex

Postby MitchMN on Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:56 pm

Thermal sensor would probably be the go. Is that how you've set it up vari? Or just hard wired with a switch?. Would you happen to have any photos of how the fans mounted aswell?. Those results you got is exactly what I want.
MitchMN

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks