Bush fix CV joints

Bush fix CV joints

Postby Tritonwreckers on Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:44 am

Following on from Fraz91 excellent post
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=7397&p=232383&hilit=ball+joint#p232383
where he discusses how to remove and replace a cv joint on the triton, this is to help those who might not have a replacement on hand when the cv breaks, and then how to get home.

If the passenger side cv breaks, it needs to be fixed, problem is it forms a seal into the diff, so simply removing and driving out without the cv installed could lead to diff oil escaping or contaminants entering the diff, neither a good option and potentially worse than the failure of the CV.

The drivers side CV is different as it bolts up to diff, and mates against a surface that does not matter, so a straight removal would enable you to drive home, abet without front drive

if you are a repeat offender, do this at home, if not maybe add some stuff to the list of tools required in the link

pic of driver side cv
Click to view larger picture
note how it bolts up to the diff and is clean

So the passenger side
If something is not returned to the diff end, then the vehicle is undrivable, leaving the busted cv in there, in a best case will cause grease to fly around, worst case, the cv breaks apart and the 2 shafts spin/ flop around and damage parts, break lines, ABS etc

so using the broken CV, cut off the 2 steel bands on the inner bearing

slide the boot back exposing the bearings

Cut the boot

in order to remove the bearings you need to remove this circlip

clean up the cup, or put in filled with grease, just depends if you want to be dirty now or clean up the wheel arch later ;)

reinstall the shortened "broken" cv into the diff, reuse the circlip (missing from this picture)

notes
You will get a ABS light as the sensor on the passenger wheel is not available- removed with the broken part of the cv
You will only have rear wheel drive, unless you have a front diff lock, as this cv cup will have no resistance so all drive will transfer to this.

ABS ring on the CV
just so you can tell the difference, some of the lower spec, early tritons did not come with ABS, important fact if buying from a wrecker ;)

I have sent one of these cups down to Mattz along with a front diff, hope you can get things up and running quickly ;)
Tritonwreckers
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Bush fix CV joints

Postby aids84 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:06 pm

ummm you need to put the outer cv joint back in as well, otherwise the wheel bearing could fall apart. Bad advice right there.
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:34 pm

Mattz where are you? Some good helpful input could be thrown in here! :lol: :lol:

Thanks triton wreckers :D ill be printing this and throwing it in with the CV removal into the glovebox!
dan.batto

Postby Tritonwreckers on Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:25 pm

aids84 wrote:ummm you need to put the outer cv joint back in as well, otherwise the wheel bearing could fall apart. Bad advice right there.

outer could also be done and held in place with the 32mm castanella nut, depends how far you need to nurse the vehicle ;)

this will also give back ABS
Tritonwreckers
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aids84 on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:01 pm

Tritonwreckers wrote:
aids84 wrote:ummm you need to put the outer cv joint back in as well, otherwise the wheel bearing could fall apart. Bad advice right there.

outer could also be done and held in place with the 32mm castanella nut, depends how far you need to nurse the vehicle ;)

this will also give back ABS

Yep I think the outer joint will come off the shaft by hitting it with a hammer, though usually you need to hold the shaft in a vice and use a drift against the inner race of the CV joint.

Although if you've just broken your CV it might already be apart :D
aids84
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:06 pm

Here is one I prepared earlier. :lol:

The outer stub bolted back in to avoid the potential loss of the wheel bearings and to retain ABS functionality. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby JamoGLXR on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:36 pm

<3 <3 i love this site :D
"You'll Never Walk Alone"
JamoGLXR

Postby Duck on Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:54 pm

I hope one of you is with me when & if this happens, as it is all double dutch to me. This whole site seems to have master mechanics as members. :D
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:00 pm

Do not ever leave the outer cv cup out, it sets the preload on the wheel bearing and if left out the wheel bearing will fail.

I have personally seen front wheel drive cars with the same basic set up destroy wheel bearings just being pushed around a workshop with driveshafts out!!!
GLRkenny

Postby viking shippy on Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:23 pm

Great stuff fellas better solution than a cv wired up with fencing wire.
Now I don't have the fear of that question you ask yourself .. what will I do if I break a cv out here..
viking shippy

Postby Tony on Sat Jun 15, 2013 8:31 pm

Some very good advice here boys. 8-)

Never toss a broken CV out, make it into emergency stubs and keep in the toolbox as takes up bugger all room and saves this hassle. 8-)

The other end of the axle can be extracted from the CV 8-) , but very difficult in field, and especially if the axle is broken near it (Common failure with oem). :roll:

Takes a thud motion such as a slide hammer effect or you can uses a special puller to do the job.

I just drop the assembly real hard on the press plates (In the work shop) and off she comes. 8-)

We do one a week out here. :shock:
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tips & Tricks