Xrox Bar effecting Air Intake temps (scangauge)

Xrox Bar effecting Air Intake temps (scangauge)

Postby variflex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:19 pm

Since fitting the Xrox bar a few months back I have noticed the air intake temps on the scangauge excessively high,
Prior to fitment of the bar my air intake temps were always 16 - 20 degrees above the ambient air temp, after fitting the bar it has not been uncommon to see air intake temps 50+ degrees above ambient (outside air)

Upon close inspection I have noticed that the bar seems to block the air flow through the intercooler so I have now fitted a 7" thermofan to the intercooler to reduce the air intake temps,
The fan has been wired to come on once the engine is running with a simple rocker switch to allow the fan to be switched off for water crossings etc.

Anywho I have just finished the install so after dinner I will take a drive up Lapstone hill with the fan off to record temps and re do the run with the fan on and share the temps for anyone interested

Cheers
Darren.
variflex

Re: Xrox Bar effecting Air Intake temps (scangauge)

Postby headake on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:25 pm

Be interested seeing results of this
I MAKE KIDS CRY
headake

Postby wake jake on Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:40 pm

Me too. Mine are up 20-30 normally and can get up to 50+. But I am running 23psi. Have been thinking about this mod. Are you running a winch aswell?
08 MY09 GLXR
Monster Rides
wake jake

Postby macca002 on Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:28 pm

I think the same situation applies for any bullbar fitted up front. At speed does the 7" have enough pull to keep greater air flow through the cooler than the flow created by driving speed? If not, then I would imagine that it would be more of a restrictive device.

A bigger cooler would keep the temps nice and low 8-)
macca002

Postby variflex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:46 pm

Well went and did two drives up Lapstone hill, Both times I kept it a 100kph and did the hill in 5th Gear just to keep everything consistant
Outside air was 12 degrees in Penrith and 11 degrees at the top of the hill,
Without the fan I saw 61 degrees Air intake on the scangauge and 43 degrees with the fan on.
Certainly makes a difference but definatly not as good as having the full air flow over the intercooler however the Xrox bar blocks all airflow across the intercooler,
Anywho heres some photos of the Scangauge to show what I was seeing
Also noticed the water temp 2 degrees lower.
(Wake Jake, Like you I too have increased my boost, running a max 25psi, also chipit chip)

Outside Air
Click to view larger picture

Without Fan

With IC Fan
variflex

Postby variflex on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:47 pm

Sorry guys, you may need to click on the photos to see the Air intake temp, Top right on Scangauge
variflex

Postby Earlyninja on Sat May 03, 2014 9:18 am

Would a larger intercooler help? Probably not as much as its own dedicated fan, but with the radiator fan turning, there should be plenty of air movement.
Someone on ntn suggested this site if you need ideas.
http://www.sttemtec.com/en/l200-triton- ... de-kit.php
Earlyninja

Postby viking shippy on Sat May 03, 2014 2:31 pm

As I've read from one of Tonys posts...
That a larger inter cooler won't help it will give you more turbo lag...
viking shippy

Postby macca002 on Sat May 03, 2014 2:53 pm

On the highway my EGTs are fine and engine temp sits on 86-88degrees and oil temp sits on 78-82 degrees.

Crossing the Kimberly, engine temp hit 93degrees - which is 1 degree over my engine alert alarm, so quickly brought my attention to the engine temp.

It didn't get any higher than 93, and only hit 93 for a minute or two, but the scary thing is that my gauge on the dash never budged.

Anyways. Since then I have shifted my numberplate to allow air to come through the front of the bar where the which cable would usually feed out from. On the highway, temps have now dropped 6 degrees. I am now going to keep it like this, and fit some steel mesh (similar to crimsafe) over the hole to help combat spinafex.
macca002

Return to Tips & Tricks