Removing Front Seats (Airbags) - DC Battery???

Removing Front Seats (Airbags) - DC Battery???

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:05 pm

Hi all,

I'm going to start doing the stereo in my GLXR and being a typical dual cab have nowhere to hide my amp. I'm going to put it under the passenger seat with Velcro tape to stop it moving around.

Question is I've done cars with the airbag/seatbelt sensors in the seats and it's been simple as disconnecting the battery to ensure no BCM codes are triggered, has anyone done this and is there any procedure doing this with the airbag being mounted in the backrest also?

Cheers, Ash
MilkmanDan

Re: Removing Front Seats (Airbags) - DC Battery???

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:17 pm

Usual procedure applies. Disconnect battery, wait 30 minutes for capacitors to discharge, then do what you have to do. Some say no need to wait but we do this as standard procedure in the shop and have never had a problem.

Under passenger seat is one option, behind rear seat is another. Quite a few posts on this.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:39 pm

Thanks for that mate, I've done a heap sans airbag just wanted to make sure.

It must be a Tapatalk related issue as I been trying to find threads and thought pretty strange that there weren't any specific to amp locations. Anywho I'm not 100% sold on under the seat as I've got kids, will pull the kid seats out and see how my amp looks for space behind the rears.

Thanks
MilkmanDan

Postby gaspode on Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:53 pm

Dan,

As I'm sure your aware, be careful where you place the amp with regards to air circulation. And if your upgrading the speakers/wire, speaking from experience, that is a PITA and will take a LONG time to get the new gauge wire through the door rubbers. However the end results really make it all the worth while.

Cheers,

Daniel.
This is the best bad idea I have
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Nov 18, 2013 1:47 pm

Yeah I've had an amp fail due to overheating and solder actually coming off connectors. I've never been a fan of under seat however I left windows up and after a while stuck my hand under the seats and was cool.

I have a special tool for pulling cables, actually it's a bit of solder and once run through the rubber just tape the speaker cable to it and pull through :D
MilkmanDan

Postby gaspode on Mon Nov 18, 2013 2:25 pm

I used a draw wire and had trouble with the tape catching on the rubber... speaker wires got stuck and the draw wire pulled free, there ain't a lot of room in the rubbers. I had a bit more success with stripping the draw wire and the speaker wires, making loops in the speaker wires, threading the draw wire through that and twisting the ends together. I did tape these as well, when I got it all through to the other end, the tape was still sticking to the rubber.
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MilkmanDan on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:32 pm

Good to know they may be a little challenging, I guess my time will come in the next couple of weeks
MilkmanDan

Postby macca002 on Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:35 pm

Just a suggestion, instead of using Velcro on the floor you can run bits of flat and use your seat bolts to secure. I did this for my 12v setup using those strips you get from bunnings after zip ties cutting through and causing everything to rattle loose.

Would be a more secure way of mounting an amp than Velcro on the floor.

Look forward to seeing the outcome.
macca002

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:01 pm

I have my amp under the passenger seat. Somewhere I've actually posted a picture of the yellow airbag connector plug under the passenger seat near the transmission tunnel. It is a tricky little bugger to unplug. I'm pretty sure I even posted the manual picture and how to undo it. Will find it for you.

In terms of mounting, I got a sheet of wood shelf stuff I had lying around - maybe 12mm melamine or something like that. I screwed the amp down to that and stuck black duct tape over the visible bits of the white surface to make it dark and basically disappear in the shadow under the seat. At the front of the seat there is a step in the floor pan which will stop it moving forward. At the back I ran a small piece of hollow flat bar across the seat mounts. I must have fluked the size because it all ended up being pretty snug and doesn't move around at all. I haven't had any issues with heat. It seems to breathe at the front and the left hand size is pretty open. I've usually got the floor vents open on cold in the front anyway. In the back I have carpet mats that are supposed to go under the front seat. On that side I've sort of cable tied it back so that it goes upwards and kind of closes off the gap under the seat so you can't see the amp or the wiring and so you can't really kick it if you're a rear seat passenger.

Right, now this is where I posted about the plug:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4688&p=69704&hilit=mmcs+plug+play#p72217

And it looks like this:

Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture

Looking back at that thread, I folded the back of the seat forward, and then tipped the whole seat backwards into the rear seat and then had enough room to work without having to remove the whole thing from the car.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby SATAN on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:49 pm

Hey guys ive [censored] up and I removed my seats over the weekend without disconnecting the battery.Amy airbag light is now on haha... am I able to disconnect battery so it resets then the light will go away?
SATAN

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:57 pm

Unlikely. It won't hurt to try but in most cases you'll need the dealer to reset that one. Some advanced scan tools will do it, but you'll be at a mechanic anyway to try and find one I would have thought.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby gaspode on Tue Nov 19, 2013 8:06 pm

I bumped the steering column connector the other weekend and brought up a SRS Light. Took it to my mechanic and his computer was able to diagnose the loose connection and reset the fault. I forgot to find out what brand of computer it was. I will be due for a service I a couple of weeks and will find out them.

FYI Satan while ever the SRS light is on (and please correct me if I am wrong), the airbags will not deploy if you have an accident.
gaspode
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tips & Tricks