covering the alternator with soft seal

covering the alternator with soft seal

Postby DocBassett on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:34 pm

Has anyone covered their alternator with a product such as soft seal before? We have had over 100-150mm of rain in the last 2 days and our town is flooded. My alternator is exposed as the rubber between the wheel arch and engine bay is missing. We don't have a rubber store in town and mitsi dont have a spare one or clips to hold it in place. I was recommended to try soft seal and to spray it over the entire alternator. Any thoughts?
DocBassett

Re: covering the alternator with soft seal

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:56 pm

I can't see that this will make much of a difference, Mitch.

It will protect the outside and maybe the connections but the alternator has holes all over the body and this won't stop water getting inside.

When travelling through water there is a fair bit gets splashed around the engine bay, regardless of whether you have that plastic splashgurad or not (it just helps with splashing from the tyre/wheel).

If it were me I'd just take it easy through water, avoiding anything deep.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DocBassett on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:04 pm

Cheers chris. It is my understanding that the entire alternator gets enclosed in a soft silicone like casing.... but I can't confirm that. Unfortunately every time I turn the wheels, it flicks water straight at it. Hopefully it stops raining soon and the place dries out. Cheers for the help.
DocBassett

Postby Homer on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:19 pm

I'm not sure you wouldn't have overheating issues if you completely covered it on a permanent basis as they are air cooled.

Maybe a plastic bag or something for river crossings but a more permanent fix I'm not sure of unfortunately.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Honky on Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:27 pm

This is not a recommendation but when I was at a show a stallholder sprayed a rechargeable drill with lanolin and than put in under water and ran it with no ill effect ( at the time)
The lanolin sprays are also recommended for boats and their electrics.

Honky
Honky

Postby DocBassett on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:33 pm

Cheers everyone. I had a test spray. Its a weird product. A lot thinner than I thought. Hard to get the can in to the right areas so I'll leave it for now.
DocBassett

Postby FredSmith on Thu Jan 23, 2014 2:50 pm

Hi Doc,
I would not spray it on. As the alternator heats up it will liquify and possibly dribble into the armature. If any gets on the brushes a film will build up on the commutator. This will solidify as it cools and the alternator wont work as soft seal is a insulator.

HTH

Ian.

PS. We use this stuff all the time at work because of it's insulating properties.
FredSmith
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:26 pm

FredSmith wrote:Hi Doc,
I would not spray it on. As the alternator heats up it will liquify and possibly dribble into the armature. If any gets on the brushes a film will build up on the commutator. This will solidify as it cools and the alternator wont work as soft seal is a insulator.

HTH

Ian.

PS. We use this stuff all the time at work because of it's insulating properties.

x2.... I totally agree with Ian ie, don't do it Doc...! Water simply splashing on your alternator won't hurt it, in fact it'll probably help it's efficiency by cooling it more effectively than the normal engine bay hot air flow circulation. It will quickly dry out, even if it's temporarily fully submerged, such as during a river crossing. The only thing I would personally do to allay any possible concerns after just such an event though, would be to check that it wasn't left chockers full of mud, and if so, a simple hose out with a strong jet of clean water from a household hose would be all that you'd need to do. They are really not that "fragile" a device.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DocBassett on Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:30 pm

Awesome cheers guys. Was just a bit worried as most roads were under water and a few creek crossings were bonnet deep.
DocBassett

Postby kitemanwest aussie on Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:27 pm

Ok some background. 38 years auto electrician in ACT, NSW and now Broome, WA

DO NOT SPRAY ANYTHING ONTO or INTO THE ALTERNATOR.
They are a very robust unit out of the box. All electronics are sealed. All bearings are sealed.The rotor (not armature as in a generator) is waterproof. The sliprings (not commutator as in a generator) are finely finished brass and need NO lubrication and are minimally affected by water. The brushes are carbon composite and are reasonably waterproof, but require no additional help. Rectifier, stator and regulator are waterproof as well.

It is possible any spray can do damage by breaking down the bearings seals, the varnish/insulation on wiring in the rotor and stator and may even compromise the integrity of the sealing compounds used for the regulator. But dousing in water will do no harm.

And try and keep high pressure cleaners away from the engine. Many a problem is due to water being forced into connections and areas it shouldn't go. Great to scrub muck off but be careful where you point it.
kitemanwest aussie

Postby DocBassett on Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:30 pm

Good info. Cheers mate.
DocBassett

Return to Tips & Tricks