Carrying Dirtbikes on the Triton

Carrying Dirtbikes on the Triton

Postby asha31 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:40 am

Interested in getting opinions from anyone who carries bikes on the Triton.
I was asked for a lend of my Triton and Bikes for his website....
Seem to work quite well.

http://www.readyramp.com.au/mitsubishi-triton/
asha31

Re: Carrying Dirtbikes on the Triton

Postby 09andot on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:07 am

Pretty cool idea- I guess it depends how much they want for it, because a ramp and a cage separately are relatively cheap!
09andot

Postby asha31 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:41 am

I guess price is all relative, when blokes are spending circa $15K on a new dirt bike and you know $30-$60K on a vehicle the price of a ramp is insignificant, if it works. I was thinking that the price point was going to be an issue, if you try and justify the price you wouldn't buy one, however these thing are over -engineered big time compared to my super cheap ramp and Chinese cage they are so much better.
Not sure if I'll buy one but already plenty of guys are interested....
asha31

Postby George Kyro on Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:54 am

They are a great idea to load your bikes onto the back of the ute (if you don't have a trailer) I got like 8 or so bikes sitting here at home and I've been riding since I was a kid so Ive got 2 trailers sitting here so don't put bikes on the back of the ute much these days but as you said its all relative.

To get around tullarook, wombat, cobaws, noogee, mount dissa and the high country i always use a trailer as i always end up with 3 bikes on my car and then you got the back tray full of gear.

But on my end of year trips where i head up to stockton beach on the bike or quad these things would be a great idea to help load onto the back of the ute as you don't wanna be driving all that way with a trailer if you don't need too..

Ha much he asking for them ???
There are plenty out there for pretty cheap already.
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby 09andot on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:20 am

Yeh I know what you mean asha. I'm just looking at it from my perspective, where I can pick up a cheap folding ramp and a cheap tub extender, which will do the same job. I mean this thing looks awesome and as you said very high quality, but again it's going to come down to price for a lot of people, personally I've never had an issue with my $50 folding aluminium ramp so the quality isn't a major issue to me. People do spend a lot on their bikes and cars, not sure if this makes them more or less willing to shell out a heap of coin for a ramp and cage as an alternative to a plank of wood and a few ratchet straps. I know Uneke 4x4 do a cage only for about $380, so I'm assuming this thing will be worth at least that. Anyway, just my 2c, the idea is awesome and for all I know they'll probably sell off the shelves before they've made it there haha. I am keen to hear the price!
09andot

Postby lachiem on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:44 am

Looks pretty good mate, I like the idea but I've never really had any issue transporting my bike in the back.
I remember seeing these cages a while back. Hadn't seen them as integrated folding ramps, thats smart.
But like 09andot says, I just use the folding ramp, works well for me.
For discussion on carrying dirtbike though, has anybody toyed with the idea of fiting a mounting plate to the front of the tub? To assist in securing the front wheel?
I've got a friend who fabbed one up for his downhill bikes, would be interested to see if anybody else has done it.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby George Kyro on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:49 am

Lachie, you can just get one fabled up at a trailer place and they only charge you 25-50 bus for them.
What we do in the past is drill a hole through the tub as a fixing point from the bottom and secure it with a lock in pin (put bolt through from bottom and secure pin up top or you c an also throw a nut on the top to secure it in place.

I did it on the old triton but these days i haven't needed to tow the bike on the back
BROKE BACK MUD BUM CHUM RUNNERS CLUB
George Kyro

Postby asha31 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:49 am

From what Ive been told they will selling Australia for around the $400 mark, one or two trips a year, yeah a piece of timber and a ratchet would probably cut it, i guess if you're using it a lot it would be worth it.
asha31

Postby 09andot on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:37 pm

$400 isn't as brutal as what i was thinking, certainly makes the uneke 4x4 cage seem like poor value. Still a bit of coin to throw down. You're 100% right though asha, it's really going to depend on the individual, I'm sure this will appeal to plenty and so it should, it looks like a good product!

Lachie have you had an issue with the front slipping whilst in the tub? I'm not sure if it's due to the rubber mat or the channels in the tub but mine has always stayed put without anything holding the front wheel. You could look into just getting a length of aluminium c channel, assuming the internal width was about 100mm this should work. You could just run say a 200mm length at the front on the floor and that should hold it. Or you could get fancy and bend it so it runs along the floor then up the front wall, possibly unnecessary though. Realistically if you can pick them up for $25 from a trailer shop that would be the easiest option haha.
09andot

Postby lachiem on Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:50 pm

Andot, nah havn't ever had a problem in the past, I've got the OEM tubliner, and the channels hold it in place well enough, but thats what I was looking for, if it's only a cheap fix $25 could save me hassel down the track.
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby aardvark on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:02 pm

lachiem wrote:For discussion on carrying dirtbike though, has anybody toyed with the idea of fiting a mounting plate to the front of the tub? To assist in securing the front wheel?

My brother fabricated one for his Navara. It's pretty smart. I'll see if I can get some photos some time.

As for the other thing:
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Multi-Purpose ... y/29402396
aardvark

Postby 09andot on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:22 pm

Haha not sure If I'd be willing to push my bike up that thing aardvark, but similar concept I guess?
09andot

Postby aardvark on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:34 pm

09andot wrote:Haha not sure If I'd be willing to push my bike up that thing aardvark, but similar concept I guess?

I'm not entirely convinced I would either. :)
aardvark

Postby asha31 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:53 pm

When you're walking up an expensive bike up a ramp onto a lifted Triton you don't care how much the thing costs you wouldn't want it to break.

Another mate of mine has a factory in China and manufactures all kinds of stuff, I showed him and he barffed at the price, he went sourcing and then realized they are very well made and couldn't get it done for much less.

These ramps are made in China, must be the "good" part of China.
asha31

Postby lachiem on Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:18 pm

All sorts of crazy ideas flying through my head,
I wonder if you could fab up a mounting plate to attach the folding ramp in a V behind the rear tyre.
Mount it mid way along the tub or something.
Dammit stuck at work, will investigate when I get home and see if it would even work.
Wouldn't be so great with 2 bikes in the back is all...
Something profound
Something funny
lachiem

Postby mudders on Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:54 pm

lachiem wrote:For discussion on carrying dirtbike though, has anybody toyed with the idea of fiting a mounting plate to the front of the tub? To assist in securing the front wheel?
I've got a friend who fabbed one up for his downhill bikes, would be interested to see if anybody else has done it.

I have a pit posse tie down brace(bed rack ) , the Vic distributor is birdman accessories , so you should be able to order any ware from memory it just under $100 www.pitposse.com

Bike mart in Ringwood should have them in stock ( if your in Vic )

Ps it was a PIA to install but once it's in its in .
mudders

Postby variflex on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 pm

I am interested in this product myself as I am one of those who no longer has room for a bike trailer now I have bought a boat,
variflex

Return to Tips & Tricks