EGR Blank off problems

EGR Blank off problems

Postby aussie_power_sports on Mon May 05, 2014 6:37 pm

So i got my blanking plate and decided to blank off the Egr on my Ml triton 09, Blanked it off according the photos on the forum, at the exhaust manifold, did it up normal with a 3/8 rachet. Took if for a test drive all sweet no problems, noticed it driving smoother from 0-2000rpm.

500km later and cruise control stopped working, then check engine light came on. So I decided i'd drill a 6mm hole in the blank, when undoing the two bolts for the steel pipe, both feel fairly tight. I sprayed a bit of crc on them and tried loosening them again, not using much force at all and, Just my luck, one of them snapped in there. There no way to cleaning drill it out so the manifold will have to come off and the bolt removed correctly. Not happy at all but no one else to blame. So will be a fun day repairing my stuff up. I managed to drill a hole in the centre of the bolt with a small drill bit eventually going bigger until was almost touching the thread of the manifold, The easy out still couldn't budge it, any other ideas.

My question is there a way to reset the check engine light? why would it hurt to continue to drive with the light on?, and how exactly will this 6mm hole everyone talks about prevent the carbon build up? To me it will still gunk up the mainfold just not as quick. I have searched for these answers with no luck as such.

Thanks in advance
aussie_power_sports

Re: EGR Blank off problems

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon May 05, 2014 6:59 pm

1. Take the blanking plate and throw it in the bin.
2. Send a PM to Tony and order one of his modules to control the EGR electronically. Alternately try Koshari's method or that of An Old Fart (see the ET mod installation thread).
3. Get your thread repaired and clean up the other one with a tap.
4. Reassemble, using new bolts.
5. When Tony's mod arrives, install and then drive with the knowledge that your manifold will never get any more carbon buildup and enjoy the smoother response and improved lag time.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby aussie_power_sports on Mon May 05, 2014 7:45 pm

What's tony's username?

Thanks for your help
aussie_power_sports

Postby Zav78 on Mon May 05, 2014 7:50 pm

His username is Tony.
Zav78
Platinum Subscriber

Postby aussie_power_sports on Mon May 05, 2014 7:55 pm

Can check engine be reset by disconnecting the battery or will i have to get a scan tool or take it to the dealer
aussie_power_sports

Postby Steve-o on Mon May 05, 2014 8:05 pm

You can do as I do, leave the blank in and have Tony's mod so you get no check engine lights.

It's then physically blanked at the manifold and above the cooler in case the egr cooler splits and tries to hydraulic the engine. And it's electronically blocked so the throttle stays open but egr stays closed, therefore no check engine lights.
Steve-o
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Steve-o on Mon May 05, 2014 8:07 pm

Don't drill the plate. It can stay in there as is with Tonys mod.
Steve-o
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 05, 2014 10:17 pm

Some CELs will clear themselves after a while. By all means try the battery approach. Failing that you can use a scangauge or ultragauge or a bluetooth OBD dongle and phone app to clear the CEL. No probs driving with it if it was in fact caused by the egr thing and not something worse.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby aussie_power_sports on Tue May 06, 2014 2:43 pm

Cheers guys, Have ordered x2 new blanking plates as I had already drilled my existing one, as well as the ET mod kit. Will have to make a day of it to fit up and clean intake manifold's. Mitsubishi replaced the intake manifold 10,000km ago but I have a feeling they would of only done the the top one.
aussie_power_sports

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue May 06, 2014 5:32 pm

There really should be no need for the blank once you fit the resistor.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby mIwoo on Tue May 06, 2014 6:40 pm

Ive tested my triton with Tony's electric egr block in with the steel blank in and out... trust me... you will get better drivability of your truck with the blank out and you get better fuel economy. FWIW
1130 BARRA - 850 Murray Cod - 640 Dusky - 445 Aus BASS - 585 Yellow-belly - 440 Redfin
mIwoo

Postby aussie_power_sports on Tue May 06, 2014 6:50 pm

Wont you still get carbon build up through the steel pipes, egr cooler up until the egr valve?
aussie_power_sports

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Tue May 06, 2014 7:02 pm

On getting the broken bolt out, I have welded nuts to broken bolts through the hole of the nut before and use that to put a socket on if that helps you at all? I also have Tony's et mod and its brilliant no need for blank at all.
chrisdoherty87

Postby aussie_power_sports on Tue May 06, 2014 7:08 pm

Yeah i got it out this arvo, it was broken inside the manifold. So i drilled it and used an easy out, was worried for a second that i'd have to remove exhaust manifold.
aussie_power_sports

Return to Tips & Tricks