No Boost

No Boost

Postby flyfisho on Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:53 pm

Gday
Have searched through forum to find answers but to no avail.
I recently installed a manual boost controller and analog boost gauge.
I have been over my installation twice and have checked it. the boost tee is wound all the way out and connected the right way.
Basically I am only getting 10 to 11 psi of boost flat out. Today I took the line off the waste gate and gave it a run and only achieved an extra 2 psi on the boost gauge.
What gives.
Is this something to do with the infamous Triton carbon build up.
Its 2007 ml with 160000 on the clock and shortly after i got it i had to unblock the map sensor port in the intake manifold, Due to surging under boost.
Cheers.
flyfisho

Re: No Boost

Postby Naff on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:02 pm

What sort of boost controller did you get?
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby flyfisho on Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:15 pm

Naff wrote:What sort of boost controller did you get?

Ipr manual boost controller off ebay.
Fact is when the line to the waste gate is pulled off, turbo should be at full boost and its not. only 12 psi, it should max out.
Am I wrong.
flyfisho

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:18 pm

Your right and mine does the same will only get to 17 with no line connected other people get well over 20 :\
triton_guru

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:59 pm

If comparing figures be careful you're comparing like with like - the MNs hit higher numbers than the MLs. Also query whether those running chips were getting bigger numbers in part due to the chip.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby triton_guru on Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:14 pm

Ah that might make abit more sense, is there a mod that allows you to run more boost without having to run a chip? Or ecu remap etc
triton_guru

Postby flyfisho on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:00 pm

Thanks guys
Suppose at the end of the day I did achieve a decent increase for $40.
I was feeling a bit left out with all these higher figures floating around. :?
I do understand that each car will have varied figures on output etc.
But I still think it should be more boost.........so a full carbon clean out should see a better result?
I will be doing the egr resitor mod and catch can before a intake clean. I was a bit horrified at the oil sitting in the hose to the turbo and the spool looked a bit oiled up.
Cheers
flyfisho

Postby Speedy70 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:30 pm

I had my ML running up to 22psi with a manual boost controller and injection type chip and a stand alone voltage clamp on the MAP sensor to stop overboost CEL's. I don't think the chip has anything to do with the amount of boost that the turbo generates as that is controlled by the manual boost controller (ML Triton - not VGT). Even when I removed the chip when selling the ML, I had the manual boost controller running at 18 psi; still needed the voltage clamp as mine would throw overboost errors when the boost exceeded 16psi. Have you done the actuator arm mod mentioned in some other posts. Might get a bit higher boost, but no sure, could be worth a try.
Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Speedy70 on Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:02 pm

Speedy70
Platinum Subscriber

Postby flyfisho on Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:10 pm

Sweeeeet.
Ill look in to it....very nice.
Cheers
flyfisho

Postby Install on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:38 pm

Wouldn't mind an answer to this one myself.

2007 3.2, owned from new. Been pulling 23 psi for as long as can remember then all of a sudden 19 psi is max it will produce. 19 psi exactly like it is being controlled. Pull vac line of wastegate and it should "Boost out" instantly (as it did when things were normal) as there is no mechanical control of excessive boost, turbo then is producing. Mine just sits at 19 psi.
I have had everyone tell me whats wrong from Mitsi directly to ramdom passerbys, no one been right yet.
SCV valve replaced, Turbo complete replaced, HKS boost control - on wastegate. Top & bottom manifolds stripped/cleaned, replaced. Dump tube & full new exhaust fitted. All rubber vac lines replaced. Have had EGR blanking plate in almost from new. Have fitted the ET mod resistors.
Don't get me wrong thing still hauls like a cut cat on 19 psi but at 23psi it is ballistic so where has my boost gone?
It didn't taper off over time it just stopped.
I have looked at intercooler interconnect pipes (For a split) but they seem intact. I have not removed intercooler as yet but i have one arriving from cross country 4x4 as we speak encase of maybe a split in the core?
I am running a chip but this is not the problem as chip can be turned off independent of everything else & it rang just fine on 23 psi - no chip many times before.

Over to you boys?
If you're in control, you ain't going fast enuff!
Install

Postby variflex on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:06 pm

Have you tried a different gauge
variflex

Postby Install on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:37 pm

It's not the gauge or how its reading, believe me you don't need a gauge to tell you the difference between 19 & 23 psi.
Once wastegate is disconnected, turbo is free to boost to what ever it desires, no other mechanical intervention is there to stop it. Just seems mine only desires 19 psi now?
Install

Postby hvac guy on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:12 pm

It may seem strange but when was The fuel filter done last diesels need fuel to make boost. Is the wastegate creeping under boost try adding a spring with the waste gate to check.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Install on Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:20 pm

These thoughts crossed my mind also,
so fuel filter is changed, not only wastegate changed out for brand new one - spring is as brand new & strong but complete new turbo.
Believe me i reckon iv'e thought of everything ..... except what it actually is :lol:
Install

Postby triton_guru on Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:43 pm

Could it possibly be the et mod? That's the only thing other than a manual boost controller that both our lvs have in common?
triton_guru

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:03 pm

I took him to be saying that was after the problem emerged but I guess I could be wrong about that.

What about the MAP sensor and wiring to and from?

Cowboy Dave

Postby triton_guru on Thu Jul 17, 2014 11:42 pm

Hmm possibly in having the same problem with my triton atm and ive checked the intercooler and all good all piping etc must be a electronic thing if its not boosting and everything is new?
triton_guru

Postby Install on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:46 pm

In my mind its not electronic. Forget the gauge (reading what boost you got), forget map sensor etc.. overboost will still happen if conditions allow & hence then throw a code in a normal engine (unless running something to disguise the actual psi from the ecu - as i do).

Back in the day with every mod i've done in place - pulling vac wastegate line off, allowed turbo to do what ever it likes boost pressure wise as there is no mechanical intervention to stop it on the 3.2. This would fire boost pressure skywards past 25 psi instantly on the way to who knows where?.
Wastegate isn't leaking as tested original one but since then a full new turbo fitted,
Exhaust completely free flowing as all new & bigger so no blockage,
Chip i have doesn't limit what max boost i get if anything should build boost with extra fuel available - but with chip off or on in the past 23 psi just fine - now 19 psi,
Intake free and clean,
Intercooler pipes checked & all OK but haven't tested core for a leak,
EGT blanking plate in from almost new so forget that path,
Both manifolds off dip stripped and replaced,
fuel filter replaced several times,

Engine boost needs pressured air from turbo and fuel that's all. No reason why i don't have air pressure - turbo is ready to go and indeed happy to give me 19 psi, so leaves fuel?
Really only things in the fuel line are; injectors & pump. This missing boost happened practically instantly so not slowly over time so in my mind not injectors getting worn out? Which leaves injector pump maybe?
The 19 psi manifold i have is solid, no wavering or pulsing and like i have said above, ute goes like a demon right now and i have no complaints but when i had 23 psi the thing was ballastic,

Luv to get that "Good Time" bac :D
Install

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Jul 19, 2014 12:53 pm

Not much left having replaced all that. Would be interesting to do a run with some data logging so you can look at fuel rail pressure etc - provided you had some reference figures to run off. Since you've done everything else you may as well flush the intercooler out (unless it was you with the new one on the way).

Cowboy Dave

Postby Install on Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Yes it was me with a new cooler coming, so i will indeed get that one in and see what if anything changes.

Not keen on the wallet ramifications of getting a new injector pump just now so next thing i might try is shimming the pressure relief on the pump just to see any immediate effect on boost pressure. That would immediately point finger at the pump, then decide where to from there.
I bought the larger shim & a module to disguise overpressure signal to the ECU years ago but never fitted it as didn't need it
Install

No Boost

Postby mattz on Sat Jul 19, 2014 3:38 pm

Fuel rail limiter?
It might be on its way out.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby flyfisho on Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:19 pm

My obd2 dongle turned up today.
Not a moment to late either as I got a limp mode coming home from work due to over boost. Was able to clear it with my android obd check app.
Turns out my boost gauge on dash is faulty and I am getting plenty of boost (to much today apparently).
Turbo maxing out to 20 -22 psi and seems with this app 22 is the max.
Ran the app in graph mode to record the psi, and interesting things happened.... I dont usually go past 3000 rpm but in testing I went the full monty to 4000rpm and noticed instant power drop off at about 3800 rpm. The graph showed that the turbo peaked at 22 and the ecu shut it down but didnt throw code or limp.
Not sure how accurate it is but will do some calibrating and testing.
Crazy app it has way to much info in from what it is reading from the ecu.
flyfisho

Postby bitsashitsy on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:22 pm

Not sure if the lack of boost issues have been fixed or not would love an update from those who posted? I had a similar issue years ago on a skyline turned out to be the intake pipe sucking in on the turbo restricting the airflow. Hope this helps.

Cheers
bitsashitsy

Postby grandchamp on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:26 pm

Not sure if this is the right post, had a quick through the searches and couldn't find too many other appropriate posts relating to turbo issues.

I have a new auto glxr and the turbo whistles when im holding revs. I can understand hearing the turbo spool up and down as thats pretty normal, i just wasnt sure if hearing the turbo whistle quite loudly while my foot is barely touching the accelerator is normal. As soon as i take my foot off it goes away, then slightly touch it again and its back. This is most times i drive.

Has anyone had anything similar or can tell me if its normal or not?

I should also add this is my first turbo diesel (if that wasn't already evident :? ) so i don't know a great deal but im keen to learn.

Cheers for any answers
grandchamp

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks