Oil leaks around turbo, throttle body and EGR valve

Oil leaks around turbo, throttle body and EGR valve

Postby benno505 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Hi guys, have a mn triton I bought new. I have a chip it diesel chip, 3" stainless exhaust, bilstein and king spring lift yada yada yada.

Yesterday I noticed some oil on a pipe under the turbo, also oil under the throttle body and oil on what I think is the egr thingy, I disconnected the pipe from intercooler to throttle body and there is so much oil in it and all over the throttle body butterfly, I was not sure if this is normal, I certainly don't like it, I have attached pictures to show what I mean.

any ideas guys?

I was thinking of blocking the egr valve off and maybe adding a catch can to stop gases and oil from entering intake, but also want to know if I do this what parts should come off for cleaning. I am fairly mechanical savvy on old engines and cars just not this stuff or diesels.

can anyone please shed some info on what is required and what I am looking at, maybe some pics please

okay I have no idea how to add pics
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Title changed to reflect subject.
benno505

Re: sorry if this has been asked

Postby variflex on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:32 pm

Here you go buddy, plenty of reading for you,
Basically you want to contact Tony for his ET mod, and fit a catch can or pro vent

viewtopic.php?f=38&t=7472&hilit=EGR+catch
variflex

Re: sorry if this has been asked

Postby benno505 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:47 pm

thanks mate
benno505

Re: Oil leaks around turbo, throttle body and EGR valve

Postby benno505 on Mon Aug 25, 2014 9:27 pm

so correct me if I am wrong the catch can ( thinking of building my own, as pretty nifty with a tig welder) pipe goes from top of valve cover PCV hose into the catch can for the inlet then the outlet goes to the air cleaner pipe? can you just run the pipe from valve cover to a vented catch can then a pipe down to chassis to release oil every now and again and block off the pipe to the air cleaner pipe?

also I am unsure on exactly where the egr block off plate goes (i.e which pipe) can any of that stuff be removed once blocked off? im out of warranty so don't care about that?

my aim is to have a perfectly clean and free flowing intake
benno505

Postby Tony on Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Catch can is very overrated on these engines unless very well plumbed in, then I still doubt the gains as oils still sneaks past the turbo seals anyway........ Any extra restriction to the PCV system will just make the already weeping turbo seals weep even more and in some situations cause other oil leaks and injector seals to blow out. I've even seen dip sticks pop out with poorly designed so called catch cans. :shock:

The oil mist, you can not 100% stop it with a turbo in play. Trust me.

Soot from the EGR (that mixes with oil and makes a nice sludge), yes we can 100% block it without using a blanking plate that used to upset the engine management. 8-)

See link above.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kxboss on Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:44 pm

replace turbo under warranty
kxboss

Return to Tips & Tricks