Storage Box

Storage Box

Postby Moogun on Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:46 am

Wondering what everyone is using as storage boxes in the back of ute. Spacecase seem very good but expensive. Interested in alternatives before I commit.
Moogun

Re: Storage Box

Postby damo83 on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:11 am

Bunnings sell the Pelican cases, similar to the spacecase from what I can tell, and have them on special fairly regularly. Worth checking them out.
damo83

Postby c-dale on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:21 am

I got a couple of ex army storage boxes off ebay. Cheap but good nick and strong. Worth considering
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby harvster on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 am

I've been using a Supercheap Commando case for the last 12months, I paid about $250 for it and its weather and dust proof.

The quality is probably not up to spacecase standard, but for the money it's OK.
harvster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby harvster on Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:24 am

I was looking at the Armour Boy box on ebay but freight was the killer. They have a freight free deal now if you have the right postcode
harvster
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:28 am

Supercheap stock the armour boys as well. They're pretty cheap looking I'd have to say. Yes there is some money to be saved but I reckon the pelican cases would last longer. Bunnings are also stocking some boxes by Rhino and someone else too.

I have a pelican, a dodgy blue kincrome box and 3 of these ones:

http://www.techniice.com/camping-gear/tool-boxes/toolbox-tb300.html

That last one is a pretty big box so may not be to everyone's taste but the ones I have are plenty solid, they stack well and I haven't had any issues with them at all. The same people look like they sell a smaller box but I've had no experience of those.

Also their postage looks reasonable - VIC: $20 NSW: $30 QLD: $40 SA: $30 WA/NT: $60 TAS: $30

When I bought mine they had outlets dotted around the place where you could collect them so that may be worth sussing out too.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby kxboss on Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:58 pm

Commando case from supacheap two fit nice under the ton ou cover and are water and dust proof.

Have six latches and tough wait for them to go on special as they are $200
kxboss

Postby kwikfab on Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:54 pm

do you want it removable?
I have made up something different, but wont have pics until they are fitted (difficult with a broken ankle)
but more of a permanent thing
kwikfab

Postby moses on Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:09 am

I just have a chequerplate toolbox, sits nicely under the tonneau. A few short roofing screws hold it down nicely.
moses
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Richard70 on Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:31 am

i am new to the site and have just taken delivery of a brand new GLXR and have also bought a checkplate lock box to fit under the tonneau cover. I've heard of several options to secure the box, through the liner into the bed, stainless bolts (with giant washers or plates), nutserts, tech screws. just want to know which is best, and whether to bolt/screw/nutsert into the gulley or the ridge of the bed?
Thanks
Richard70

Postby biggibbo on Fri Nov 07, 2014 5:14 am

Be careful using nutserts in the bed. If you will have decent weight in the box, the nutserts will pull out on bumpy rds
biggibbo

Postby motoz on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:08 am

Richard70 wrote:i am new to the site and have just taken delivery of a brand new GLXR and have also bought a checkplate lock box to fit under the tonneau cover. I've heard of several options to secure the box, through the liner into the bed, stainless bolts (with giant washers or plates), nutserts, tech screws. just want to know which is best, and whether to bolt/screw/nutsert into the gulley or the ridge of the bed?
Thanks

Click to view larger picture

Rhino make these for fitting accessories to the HD trade racks.

The big swage fits perfectly in the tub ridges. They come with M10 bolts and plate washers.

I've used them to mount my air tank and other accessories into the tub without issue.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dougie123 on Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:39 am

Bunnings has Rhino cases at the moment, they look okay. Heaps of different sizes half the price of Spacecase
dougie123

Postby flatcountrymick on Fri Nov 07, 2014 6:19 pm

I got 3 900x550x400 space cases from total tools for $169 each. They certainly arent like "space case" or pelican cases but they keep things dry and dust free. Probably not uv stable but they go in a dog box or under the tarp. Sorry I am atotal spazz at uploading photos. :roll: "contractor" brand, kahki colour. They had other shapes and sizes, over $60k worth of stock in Victoria alone to clear back in July. For dirty tools/recovery boards/hilift I use a sheetmetal tool box.
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby Nerdy on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:54 am

moses wrote:I just have a chequerplate toolbox, sits nicely under the tonneau. A few short roofing screws hold it down nicely.

Sorry for resurrecting a thread, but have you got any pics of how this is mounted?
Do you have a tubliner on your rig?
Nerdy

Postby ag9111 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:25 am

Nerdy wrote:
moses wrote:I just have a chequerplate toolbox, sits nicely under the tonneau. A few short roofing screws hold it down nicely.

Sorry for resurrecting a thread, but have you got any pics of how this is mounted?
Do you have a tubliner on your rig?

Never apologise for resurrecting an old thread.
Its what you should do to keep all the info together for future searches. Less threads means easier searching. :D

Nothing worse than searching for something and getting 550 hits with only a couple of posts in each
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Richard70 on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:50 am

I used stainless bolts through the tray liner and floor, M6 50 or 65mm bolts , I can't remember oversized washers inside and nylon nuts. I am useless at posting photos so can send via email if you'd like. The hard part I found was lining up the valleys. I also oversized the holes in the liner to prevent cracking through heat expansion, rather like laser light roofing.
Richard70

Return to Tips & Tricks