Adjusting OEM canopy glass tailgate latches

Adjusting OEM canopy glass tailgate latches

Postby BillMcQuade on Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:10 pm

There has been some discussion on the OEM canopy latch adjustment. Mine was due for a tweak, so I thought I'd do a how-to on it.

Step 1

Remove the 2 X 10mm acorn nuts from the Tee handle.

Click to view larger picture

Step 2

Remove these 4 Torx screws (2 on each side) with a T20 Torx key.

Step 3

This is the adjustment rod for the tongue of the latch. Mark the tongue with a pen where it pokes out of the latch, to keep track of how far you adjust.

Step 4

Remove rod from clip.

Rod will retract into housing, latch will poke out against striker (note pen mark).

Step 5

Turning the rod clockwise retracts the latch tongue, anticlockwise extends it. Try 2 turns at a time to suit your requirement. Refit adjustment rod to clip, and shut glass.

Step 6

Check engagement of latch tongue through side window.

Repeat steps 4 - 6 as required to get it right.

Step 7

Reassemble. Now you can adjust the canopy striker, if required. The best way is to open the side windows, shut the glass and use a 13mm spanner to adjust the strikers. Don't set the glass too tight against the tailgate, the tub and canopy both need to be able to flex a bit, without stressing the glass. Once correctly adjusted, a light slam from the centre handle will close the glass easily. If you are a bit paranoid, you can close the glass by pushing on both sides equally.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Adjusting OEM canopy glass tailgate latches

Postby tritonliz on Mon Dec 08, 2014 6:05 pm

Great info thanks, mine is not shutting properly on the right side (although does so with a big slam) but not sure if I brave enough to attempt myself. I have had so many issues with the OEM canopy you wouldn't believe it...
tritonliz

Re: Adjusting OEM canopy glass tailgate latches

Postby hvac guy on Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:35 pm

I looked very closely at my sisters canopy an the issue is tha black piece plastic that goes around the latch it needs to be thicker push the latch in and out and see how much play is in it.
Ie wiggle it towards the glass and away from the glass
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Return to Tips & Tricks