Water storage behind rear seat - mn dual cab

Water storage behind rear seat - mn dual cab

Postby echos1964 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:13 pm

Has anyone mounted a heavy plastic tank behind their rear seat? I want water stored onboard but want to keep the balance of the vehicle right. Dont want it on the roof. Thought about mounting one before the towball, but the spare wheel winder is a problem. Dont want it in the rear canopy area taking up space. Thouhgt about mounting a tank opposite the diesel tank but havent seen it done either. Any ideas my fellow triton owners?
echos1964

Re: Water storage behind rear seat - mn dual cab

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:36 pm

The only one I've heard of is the bladder style tanks that sort of hang off the back wall behind the seat. Or if you didn't have rear passengers there is one that goes across the floor and fills the footwell areas.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby motoz on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:55 pm

I noticed from your shed profile you have a canopy.
You can go a slimline tank against the headboard in the tub. About 45LT storage and only about 80mm deep.

nurasuva.jpg

add a surflow pressure pump and you've got water on demand.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
One day your life will flash before your eyes. Will it be a good show ???
motoz
Platinum Subscriber

Postby echos1964 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:47 pm

Cheers guys..i thought about one in the canopy but I don't have the side lift windows...(mate told me and told me I should have the side lifts....I know). The foot well bladders are just so over priced really. There is heaps of space under the long base..just thought someone had thought about or done that mod?
echos1964

Postby echos1964 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 pm

My triton has the mitsubishi labeled canopy....wonder if i can change out the windows to lift type then do as per previos thread?
echos1964

Postby Naff on Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:50 pm

Does the slide not allow you access to that point? Presumably you are talking about acessing the fill point of the tank...
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:08 pm

echos1964 wrote:My triton has the mitsubishi labeled canopy....wonder if i can change out the windows to lift type then do as per previos thread?

You can but the windows are way expensive.

You could put in a permanent filler pipe with a little filler cap on the outside?

Cowboy Dave

Postby echos1964 on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Yes i remember seeing that mod....was that yours dave? I going to crawl under the girl the next couple of days and see if i can work out something. Might even do a custom aliminium tank opposite the fuel tank.
echos1964

Postby amanda on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:27 pm

We have a Mitsubishi canopy with sliding Windows and the same water tank setup as motoz. No issues filling the tank through the window. We have a pipe plumbed to the tank with a valve which feeds water to the rear of the tub. Can also fill from this point but have to open the cap on top of the tank to allow it to breathe while filling.
amanda
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:28 pm

No not mine. There was a thread where a bloke bought a second stock fuel tank, modded it, and fitted it in the gap I think you're talking about as a long range fuel option. So you could get a water tank in there for sure if you were prepared to work hard enough for it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Snooozy on Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:18 pm

I have mine under the tub between spare & tow bar.

Click to view larger picture

details in my build thread. >>>>here<<<<
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby echos1964 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:54 am

Snooozy wrote:I have mine under the tub between spare & tow bar.

details in my build thread. >>>>here<<<<

Thanks buddy. I take it the 45deg angles at both ends lowers it enough to fit snug but not interefere with the spare wheel winder....do you fill it via the tub? Or do you have a breather and back fill via the tap? I reacon 100mm poly is the go.
echos1964

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jun 04, 2015 10:16 am

correct on the angle- to access the winder.
I backfill it by the tap.

not sure if you have an ML or MN. If you have an MN then you would be able to make a larger capacity version.
My spare (265/70-16) just touches the tank.

If you check the link it shows the build & mounting brackets in more detail.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tritonliz on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:20 pm

amanda wrote:We have a Mitsubishi canopy with sliding Windows and the same water tank setup as motoz. No issues filling the tank through the window. We have a pipe plumbed to the tank with a valve which feeds water to the rear of the tub. Can also fill from this point but have to open the cap on top of the tank to allow it to breathe while filling.

I want to do what you have done but my crappy windows stick and open from the inside so won't work for me..unless I leave it so it only just shuts, not locks! Guess if I run a pipe to back of canopy with tap set up only have to access it to fill it up!
tritonliz

Postby tritonliz on Thu Jun 04, 2015 5:25 pm

echos1964 wrote:My triton has the mitsubishi labeled canopy....wonder if i can change out the windows to lift type then do as per previos thread?

I got a quote to replace my sliders with lift ups in an MN Mitsi canopy, were about $350 each and I can't even find any at scrap yards, missed out on one at $180 about a year ago..
tritonliz

Postby echos1964 on Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:56 pm

Thanks snoozy...next time up tweed heads way pm me....i owe u a beer. Im off to bribie on the 24th and would be a good test for this as they grader the sand tracks up quite deep....even with the lift i still hear the sand pushing under, as well the debris from other vehicles also hits hard when spun up from the dry sand. Last trip dinged under one door, even with the steps on...will still hunt for a lift window. Mine are like tritonliz, stuck shut, and a bugger to open. To lock you have to crawl in the back, pull the window shut then push the latch into the lock posi, while holding it there put pressure on the window as if trying to open them...they remain locked that way. :shock:
echos1964

Postby schem81 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:52 am

I got a water tank made up which sits on top of the spare wheel on the can side. It's a 30ltr tank, I would have liked a bigger one but I can't fit one being a ml.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.
schem81

Postby echos1964 on Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:11 am

schem81 wrote:I got a water tank made up which sits on top of the spare wheel on the can side. It's a 30ltr tank, I would have liked a bigger one but I can't fit one being a ml.

that looks bloody neat and tidy...here I go again crawling under the bum of the truck to see... :twisted:
echos1964

Return to Tips & Tricks