Whirring/Grinding/Rattle? noise normal?

Whirring/Grinding/Rattle? noise normal?

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:31 pm

Hi all,

I'm very new to this forum and I own a 4-5 month old brand new Triton VGT 2014 model. I'm from Malaysia by the way. The reason I decided to start a new thread is because searching through forums and Google didn't seem of much help .

I hope the title is quite clear about the condition of my Triton. I'm new to pickups and therefore am wondering if it's just me being sensitive or the Triton is not supposed to have a whirring/Grinding/rattle/buzzing noise when I decelerate and quickly reaccelerate back. The noise happens just for a short while and even the SC couldn't determine what it was. They've ruled out that it's an scv issue. I do feel like fc has increased ever since i noticed this which is after the first service of 1000kms. However, the noise does not repeat consistently. Sometimes i can recreate the sound but sometimes it doesn't happen.

Is this normal? What should I look out for to tell the SC?

THANKS for all of your time and advice

EDIT:
I hope this video/audio showcases the sound... quite difficult to hear amidst the road noise because of the roads here... though bitumen but not smooth thus the road noise. I purposely recorded the meters as well to show you exactly when I decelerate and immediate acceleration would recreate the noise (00:09 seconds and 00:27 seconds are a little more prominent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cnKBDA ... e=youtu.be

This second video should be a little clearer at 00:04 - 00:06 seconds
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 2iTQVil1hQ
Last edited by Dark_Angel85 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Dark_Angel85

Re: Whirring/Grinding/Rattle? noise normal?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:36 pm

Can you record the noise on a phone?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:47 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Can you record the noise on a phone?

Sure. I'll try to record it today and upload. Sounds like a rattlesnake if I had to compare it to something
Dark_Angel85

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:53 pm

I've posted the linked video and will leave it there for a while... it's in the first post... I'll put it here as well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cnKBDA ... e=youtu.be

second video should be a little clearer at 00:04 - 00:06 seconds
https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=you ... 2iTQVil1hQ
Dark_Angel85

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 12:05 pm

Any idea what this is about? Should I be worried?
Dark_Angel85

Postby az_triton on Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:49 pm

Mine is noisy. I've gathered that it's common of them to have a noisey engine.
az_triton

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:53 pm

Az: Oh? Yours is similar? I'm not saying it's DEFINITELY a problem. Just sharing with others and want to see if it's actually an issue or that's how it's supposed to behace
Dark_Angel85

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:41 pm

I'm sorry but I can't hear anything unusual - I've put my headphones on and dialled the sound way up loud and I can't pick what the issue is at .04-.06, I can barely hear a difference between that and the rest of the time. I'm not saying that means it's normal, just that I can't actually pick what you're referring to. I'm guessing the phone is picking up too many other noises and the recording just isn't clear enough? That or I really am getting deaf. :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:52 am

Dave: Yeah, the recording quality ain't that good + bad roads with lots of noise. I'll try to record a better one hopefully.

Anyway, based on the description, any calculated guesses?
Dark_Angel85

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:00 am

I dunno. Grinding bothers me.

Rattle - well they do that with the injectors but usually under load rather than deceleration. If it was injector rattle you'd hear it under acceleration and only at some RPM. Mine you hear the rattle start and if you accelerate harder is sort of passes through the rattly bit and comes out the other side.

Whirring could be the turbo. As you come off boost you sometimes get a skittering sort of noise. In my case it was louder once I installed the snorkel.

But as said grinding? I wouldn't call anything I normally hear from mine a grinding noise.

The other problem obviously is that we all perceive and describe things differently. Your probably sitting there reading this thinking WTF does he mean by a skittering noise for example.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:31 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:I dunno. Grinding bothers me.

Rattle - well they do that with the injectors but usually under load rather than deceleration. If it was injector rattle you'd hear it under acceleration and only at some RPM. Mine you hear the rattle start and if you accelerate harder is sort of passes through the rattly bit and comes out the other side.

Whirring could be the turbo. As you come off boost you sometimes get a skittering sort of noise. In my case it was louder once I installed the snorkel.

But as said grinding? I wouldn't call anything I normally hear from mine a grinding noise.

The other problem obviously is that we all perceive and describe things differently. Your probably sitting there reading this thinking WTF does he mean by a skittering noise for example.

It does sound like that description I bolded. Nothing like the other things you described. I do feel when I really rev it up past certain RPMs, it passes the rattly bit too. I don't get it on very low RPMs... maybe from 2k-3k revs... anything lower than 2k not noticeable... anything above than that, no rattle too. However, I've mentioned this to the SC and they did some relearning or something like that to the injectors. Then they said, they checked the computers and didn't see anything wrong.
Dark_Angel85

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:56 pm

A re-learn can make them quieter for a while but in my experience you'll still have the clatter under hard acceleration at some speeds. you could try a 250ml dose of 2 stroke oil to your diesel to see if that makes any difference?

Cowboy Dave

Postby kxboss on Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:57 pm

Mine gets a buzz but if you put your hand on the gear shift it disappears
kxboss

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:30 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:A re-learn can make them quieter for a while but in my experience you'll still have the clatter under hard acceleration at some speeds. you could try a 250ml dose of 2 stroke oil to your diesel to see if that makes any difference?

Exactly. It did get quieter on the first day of the relearn and eventually it got back to its old habits. 2 stroke oil in the fuel tank? Just like that? Any 2 stroke oil?

Some sources say not to though...

http://www.fuelexpert.co.za/2-stroke-oi ... -study.php
Last edited by Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dark_Angel85

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:31 pm

kxboss wrote:Mine gets a buzz but if you put your hand on the gear shift it disappears

Oh? Mines an auto. I don't think that will help in my situation. Or do you mean the 4wd selector?
Dark_Angel85

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 19, 2015 4:33 pm

Doing it once won't kill anything. Plenty of guys on the forum have done it. This assumes you have similar fuel and oils there to here. From memory you want a Jaso spec, low ash oil, and not a synthetic.

If things get quieter with a dose of 2T then you've probably got injector rattle.

If nothing changes then it could be something else entirely.

I'm not suggesting you use it all the time (although plenty do) but rather to assist in diagnosing the issue/s.

Do you know what noisy tappets sound like? To me the injector rattle sounds a bit like that.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:38 pm

Dave: ok. Will try to add 2T oil in and see how it goes. Just bought 1 mineral 2T oil. Any non synthetic right?
Dark_Angel85

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:58 pm

Pretty much. I may have used lawn mower oil on occasion....

Cowboy Dave

Postby hvac guy on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:05 pm

Check the rear diff oil level
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:27 pm

hvac: Ok, how do I do that? :P (Just checked online, looks simple enough)

Dave: Just added the 2T. Will drive it later tonight and see how things goes... just realized that this happens almost consistently at 2500rpm+-.
Dark_Angel85

Postby grox on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:02 pm

Can you get the noise in neutral at 2500rpm . I tried to listen but couldn't really hear anything . Grab a stethoscope at a mechanics and get them to try and identify it.
grox

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:56 pm

grox wrote:Can you get the noise in neutral at 2500rpm . I tried to listen but couldn't really hear anything . Grab a stethoscope at a mechanics and get them to try and identify it.

Nope. Not in neutral. Only when driving it's most prominent
Dark_Angel85

Postby hvac guy on Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:43 am

Drain plug on the back diff oil should be roughly level with the hole.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:13 pm

Hvac: ok. Meaning that it should be just nice at the same level as the hole as though it were about to spill if tilted. I'll double check. Seems quite straight forward

Dave: I've let it run with the 2T for a while now and I'm not sure if it's a placebo effect, i do feel it has softened a bit though the first drive in the morning was not much of a difference.
Dark_Angel85

Postby Dark_Angel85 on Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:37 pm

Hvac: saw that the rear diff had a paint smear on it(the bolt) . Should i break that? The paint is for SC to know if it has been opened before. Still in my free service/warranty period

Edit: I could not for the life of me remove the bolt Of the rear diff fluid opening. I couldn't jack up my car and was lying in an awkward position... Felt like if I twisted it more by force, either the bolt will wear out or the spanar would have snapped. So I guess I'll be leaving that untouched
Dark_Angel85

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks