Tail Gate fell off ?

Tail Gate fell off ?

Postby leonbee on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:31 pm

Had the tail gate fully down on my MN and reversed down a steep drive way and ripped it off at the bottom. :mrgreen: Nearly dedicated myself with the bang as I had no idea what I hit. :o A few people around found it quiet amusing. :lol:
I could't see the funny side myself. :roll:

Anyway this is my second damaged tailgate, not going to embarrass myself with what happened to the last one.. :shock:

I Like the way the tailgate drops down but this is ridiculous :(

Any ideas. :?: Im thinking of hooking up a simple switch on the tailgate and hooking it up to a buzzer in the cab when the ignition switch is on. :geek:
leonbee

Re: Tail Gate fell off ?

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:34 pm

A reversing camera might achieve the same thing. If it looks black in daylight that's because the tailgate is covering it up... Ditto those reversing sensors that scream at you when you're too close to something.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby leonbee on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:06 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:A reversing camera might achieve the same thing. If it looks black in daylight that's because the tailgate is covering it up... Ditto those reversing sensors that scream at you when you're too close to something.

Yer Cowboy good idea. May not pay attention to the camera when in a hurry again thou, A sensor kit on the back will go off when the tailgate is down and also improve safety when its up. Better get both. It will be cheaper than another tailgate.

Should be standard, Can't see jack out the back. I think even on the new MQ, it's an optional extra

Anyone recommend a good quality reverse camera :?:
leonbee

Postby Merts on Fri Jun 17, 2016 10:35 pm

leonbee wrote: I think even on the new MQ, it's an optional extra:

Reverse camera is standard on GLS and Exceed.
GLS MQ Triton, ARB Summit front, rear and side bars, Carryboy canopy and rack, Dobinson heavy duty suspension, Harrop rear E-locker, Drifta drawers and a few other bits and pieces.
Merts
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sat Jun 18, 2016 8:44 am

just set up a micro switch and piezo alarm off the tailgate. you hook it into the ignition circuit so if you start the car with the tailgate down you will know about it. it is the same arrangement many use for their trayback tool box doors to make sure they are closed before driving off. cheap and easy to set up.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sat Jun 18, 2016 10:52 pm

snowman wrote:just set up a micro switch and piezo alarm off the tailgate. you hook it into the ignition circuit so if you start the car with the tailgate down you will know about it. it is the same arrangement many use for their trayback tool box doors to make sure they are closed before driving off. cheap and easy to set up.

Yeah if they ever get around to installing it.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:51 am

srb wrote:
snowman wrote:just set up a micro switch and piezo alarm off the tailgate. you hook it into the ignition circuit so if you start the car with the tailgate down you will know about it. it is the same arrangement many use for their trayback tool box doors to make sure they are closed before driving off. cheap and easy to set up.

some people are just really s l o w learners. :roll: :P
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:30 am

snowman wrote:
srb wrote:

some people are just really s l o w learners. :roll: :P

I fall into this category of being a slow learner. I was rear ended very minor a few months back. Day after I got the car back I reversed into the telegraph pole out of the front of my place.
Jason91

Postby snowman on Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:10 am

and a slow driver it would seem :P :P :lol: :lol:
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jason91 on Sun Jun 19, 2016 5:23 pm

snowman wrote:and a slow driver it would seem :P :P :lol: :lol:

Yeah :D considering my last two cars have been crap on economy. I've learnt to drive slow :D
Jason91

Postby leonbee on Sun Jun 19, 2016 7:39 pm

Thanx guys. just installed a reverse camera, and will add a micro switch to the tailgate.

Looked on ebay with lots of crappy china toys to choose from. Decided to go a local store, as they generally source reasonable products as they don't want the problem of returns.

Decided to go with a nanocam from supercrap on special for $100 bucks. It was the cheapest of the bunch, but sold me with the widest angle view of 170deg compared with 120deg. 5 inch screen which I think would be a minimum size for viewing. Th rear camera is wired, I researched wireless is not as clear and can drop out. The screen has a lip on the top to prevent sun glare.

You can suck the screen on the window or stick it on your dash. I sucked it out of the way on the bottom of the window driver side. Tucked the power wire under the dash just above the steering column. It has a plug if you want to remove it. Pulled the middle console out and tapped the power into the cigarette lighter. Found my driver side air con vent under dash all broken so patched it up with duck tape. That's Thailand quality control.
Ran the camera lead through the front fire wall down to the back of the truck. Tapped into the reverse light to activate when in reverse. Set the camera just under the number plate. Took under 1hr plotting away.

Yep i'm a bit slow. I was going to do this when I purchased the vehicle but as you say just never got around to it, even after the first damaged tailgate. So i'm cheering now :D As cowboyDave suggested, I will see if the tailgate is down. I also picked up a switch and buzzer from Jaycar, might get a chance to fit it :lol:

SOUNDS LIKE A LOAD OF MICHAEL TURN BULL.....

Here is a link to this camera if anyone is interested. If you have not got one they are quick and easy to install and sits neatly out of the way in the corner of the driver side dash. Allot cheaper then a damaged tailgate or running over a child a pet or God forgive the mother in Law :shock:

http://www.supercheapauto.com.au/online ... mendations

My Nanocam Review:
Camera quality is nice and clear and bright. No fishbowl. I can see the floor clearly and up to the the height of the tailgate. Vision to the side is about 300mm in from each side of the tray. :cry: I was hoping vision would be a bit wider. Lucky I did not go for the 120deg camera. However the unit has an option to add another camera to the front of the vehicle. I could add one to the top of the tray barrier to look down. Would be a good idea for someone doing allot of box trailer towing.
Does not have night vision but works good enough in low light with light from the reverse lights. You could improve this by adding a bright led reverse light. Will work Better then paying extra for a cam with night vision.
leonbee

Return to Tips & Tricks