Removing floor console

Removing floor console

Postby m&m on Sun May 05, 2019 12:13 pm

Hi Triton forum - I've been a long time contributor at the Victorian Pajero club forum, but this is my first post here.

I have an MQ Triton and I need to remove the console around the automatic's shift lever.
I've searched this forum, youtube etc and can't find any assistance.
I've looked at the Triton manual and the clip/claw positions, but the amount of force seems unusually high, and I don't what to break anything.
http://mmc-manuals.ru/manuals/l200_v/online/Service_Manual/2017/index_M1.htm

The floor console is in two sections, front and rear. I've remove the rear ok, but am stuck on the front.
I've got this far (in the photo) and was hoping to get a pointer on what the next step should be.
Click to view larger picture
Any help much appreciated.
m&m

Re: Removing floor console

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 05, 2019 6:22 pm

Welcome to NewTriton.

The tray in front comes out first. It's in two parts and you need to push it forwards as you pull/lever up.

The "gearshift lever panel" (the shiny black bit) comes off next. Start at the rear where there is a notch to insert a plastic trim removal tool and get it started. After that just work around the panel, pulling straight up.

The clips hold the trim on pretty tight. If you're concerned about damaging the trim run a couple of layers of masking tape along the area that you'll be levering against. Alternately, use a metal spreader (with rounded corners) to spread the load.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby m&m on Sun May 05, 2019 6:46 pm

Thanks Chris.
I tried to remove the black piece using the notch, but gees those clips must be tight! At least I was on the right track.

Regarding the tray, I presume it needs to be removed to access a screw. Same for the black piece? The manual tech doesn't show these though.
m&m

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun May 05, 2019 7:42 pm

Stretching the memory now. :lol:

I seem to recall it was all clips but I only had to get that black piece off to fix a scratch in it.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Tips & Tricks