New Gearbox Spacers and Recessed Nuts

New Gearbox Spacers and Recessed Nuts

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:06 pm

Hey there after lifting my triton as high as i did i had a slight shudder, so i needed to lift my gearbox another 5mm to fix the shudder problems.
Instead of customising my cross member i drilled out the gearbox mount bolts to 16mm and made so recessed nuts to go through the crossmember then screw into the factory gearbox mount studs.
before lifting the gearbox my front part of my tailshaft was 8 Degrees and the rear half was 12 degrees which caused the off the line shudder.
As photos show below.

Click to view larger picture
Recessed nut, the gearbox studs where M12x1.25mm, the transfer mount stud was M10x1.25mm.
Gearbox Nuts
New 10mm spacer plates.
New transfercase mount.
Rear view of tailshaft,and spacers etc.

After the spacers where installed the tailshaft is now 10degrees front and back and it has no shudder anymore.
cheers
GLX-RSilver

Re: New Gearbox Spacers and Recessed Nuts

Postby Buzzy on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Never cease to amase silver, very nice mate.
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:53 pm

You need a bunch of kids to consume some of your time Silver - green with envy here...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ag9111 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:15 pm

"After the spacers where installed the tailshaft is now 10degrees front and back and it has no shudder anymore.
cheers"

Question my friend. How did you decrease the rear tailshaft angle by only lifting the gearbox/transfer. Lifting the boxes will only change the front tailshaft angle. It makes sense that you have decreased the angle of rotation of the centre bearing, or am i looking at this wrong. My reference is the horizontal or 0 degrees. Front tailshaft up 8 degrees, rear down 12 as measured through the perpendicular of the centre bearing. Total 20 degrees differential. Do the mods lift the front 2 degrees. Differential 18 degrees. Are you looking at a different reference.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:40 pm

ag9111 wrote:"After the spacers where installed the tailshaft is now 10degrees front and back and it has no shudder anymore.
cheers"

Question my friend. How did you decrease the rear tailshaft angle by only lifting the gearbox/transfer. Lifting the boxes will only change the front tailshaft angle. It makes sense that you have decreased the angle of rotation of the centre bearing, or am i looking at this wrong. My reference is the horizontal or 0 degrees. Front tailshaft up 8 degrees, rear down 12 as measured through the perpendicular of the centre bearing. Total 20 degrees differential. Do the mods lift the front 2 degrees. Differential 18 degrees. Are you looking at a different reference.

Hey there the actual difference between the 2 sections of the tailshaft was only 4 degrees. The front section was at a shallower angle where the rear was sharper.

When you lift the gearbox it pivots on the rubber centre bearing which in turns changes the rear angle slighty.
When you lift the gearbox the end of the front tailshaft near the centre bearing pivots down which in turns pulls the front of the rear of the tailsahft down changing the angle if you know what i mean?
the photos below show the angle gauge on the front and rear tailshaft sections.
rear section.

front section.

It's the same when you add wedges it angles the front of the diff up which in turn pivots the front of the rear tailshaft down to change the angle.
I hope it makes sense?
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby ag9111 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:16 pm

Haven't really had to have a good look at the centre bearing yet as i have no lift. Will happen in the new financial year, accountant said no more this year.
So the centre bearing is rubber mounted and pivots when driveshaft angles are changed. Easily understood. Get the differential angles as close to zero as possible to alleviate the shudder. Correct me if i am wrong but universals should run happily at that sort of angle (4 degrees). Are we all barking up the wrong tree. Is the rubber compound to soft in the centre bearing, hence the shudder due to runout. Surely mitsi could work this out.
We get courier trucks in at work all the time with massive tailshafts. Front shaft is horizontal and rear is often running near 10 to 15 degrees downangle. Will take more notice tomorrow. I know me last hilux with 6 inches of lift never had an issue. one piece shaft , no caster wedges. That angle was massive and i chewed out universals a couple of times. No shudder though.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby GLX-RSilver on Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:34 pm

ag9111 wrote:Haven't really had to have a good look at the centre bearing yet as i have no lift. Will happen in the new financial year, accountant said no more this year.
So the centre bearing is rubber mounted and pivots when driveshaft angles are changed. Easily understood. Get the differential angles as close to zero as possible to alleviate the shudder. Correct me if i am wrong but universals should run happily at that sort of angle (4 degrees). Are we all barking up the wrong tree. Is the rubber compound to soft in the centre bearing, hence the shudder due to runout. Surely mitsi could work this out.
We get courier trucks in at work all the time with massive tailshafts. Front shaft is horizontal and rear is often running near 10 to 15 degrees downangle. Will take more notice tomorrow. I know me last hilux with 6 inches of lift never had an issue. one piece shaft , no caster wedges. That angle was massive and i chewed out universals a couple of times. No shudder though.

hey there yes the universals are fine as they are no where near binding.
To reduce shudder i read somewhere that the front and rear sections of a tailshaft should be within 1 degree of each other.
When a manual triton is lifted it causes the tailshaft angles to be different, thats why some kits supply wedges. It's also why auto and petrol don't seem to have the problem as the tailshafts are a longer length then the diesel manuals.
When the tailshaft angles are out it cause a whipping action at the centre bearing at lower speeds until the tailshaft smooths out.
Also when lifting a manual triton it pulls the yoke out of the gearbox loading up the centre bearing sideways, that's why i have install a slip joint to reduce load on the centre bearing and why some kits have tailshaft spacers.
The easiest fix if i had to do it again would be install a one piece tailshaft with a carden joint near the gearbox which would solve all problems.
cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Blue on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:37 pm

Out of curiosity Silver, what sort of $$ for the carden/1 piece conversion - if you've looked into it...???
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Eelesy on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:43 pm

Can you buy nuts like the ones you made?
I'm not dead
Eelesy

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:34 am

Tritonasaurus wrote:Can you buy nuts like the ones you made?

Hey there you may be able to but i decided to make them.
All there where are M20 bolts cut down, then turned down to 16mm on the outside and drilled and tapped to the required threads on the inside. Any place that has a lathe could make them even if you have to buy the required tap set from a bolt supplier.
GLX-RSilver

Postby GLX-RSilver on Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:38 am

Blue wrote:Out of curiosity Silver, what sort of $$ for the carden/1 piece conversion - if you've looked into it...???

Hey Blue i didn't look hard into getting a 1 piece tailshaft as i would of welded one up as i use to alter tailshafts.
I would expect a new 1 piece tailshaft with cardon joint to be around $1000 or less as the dearest parts the cardon joint thats why i looked at using a 60 series tailshaft but it was too small a diameter.
My slip joint tailshaft cost $725 all up, where the slip joint alone was $400 so figured it would be the similar price.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Buzzy on Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:06 pm

SIlver,
How long did you make the M20 bolt after you machined it?
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby GLX-RSilver on Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:03 pm

Buzzy wrote:SIlver,
How long did you make the M20 bolt after you machined it?

Hey there Buzzy i made the recess part of the bolt about 10mm and also have a spring washer.
Cheers
GLX-RSilver

Postby Buzzy on Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:02 am

Thx mate
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Earlyninja on Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:24 pm

GLX-RSilver wrote:

New transfercase mount.

That is one solid looking transfer case mount. Does it make a difference replacing the stock mount with something solid like that?
Earlyninja

Return to Tips & Tricks