Interior mod, sound and temp insulation

Interior mod, sound and temp insulation

Postby ntmntriton on Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:36 am

Hey, did this a few years ago, meant to post sooner but been flat out.

Was suffering from poor ac, couldnt hear radio while cruising down the road on trips.

Did thermo fan mod. drilled through ac vent behind glovebox, made a 90 deg hose attachment amd cleaned out dust from evap coil.
Insulated ac pipework in engine bay.
Cleaned out radiator fins.
Installed new intercooler.

All helped but not enough

I insulate and soundproof industrial plants for work.  Most people know about heat insulation so no need to go over that.  Sound moves in waves, it can be reduced a few ways, you can change the frequency of the wave, taking it outside audible range, make an item heavier, reducing its ability to vibrate and create waves, or make a second skin around it, out of something.  This second skin is ideally heavy, and also needs to be decoupled from its substrate to prevent substrate vibrating the second skin.  You make a second skin from something heavy that provides vibration resistance, typically we use vinyl impregnated with a heavy metal, typically 3-5mm thick.  To thick for purposes of a car, if u want all factory trim to fit afterwards.  Luckily jaycar has a product that is .7mm thick, kmart has 3mm rubber yogamats which are perfect as decoupler.  I also used 3m thinsulate, and jaycar sound insulation.  Vinyl requires a special glue, i used plumbing glue (red and blue) to joing vinyl seams, and dunlop vinyl glue to join vinyl to foam decoupler, and decoupler to car.

Process is as follows

Ripped out seats and all trim panels and roof.

Cut pieces of iwr and stuck it on all free steel panels, covering about 25% of surface area, but evenly spread out, dont worry too much about the floor as that is done by factory, you will see it. Dont put too much or you could put the resonant frequency into a range the car produces alot of.

Make your second skin, can either glue foam down, then vinyl to foam, or can glue vinyl to foam and this unit to car.  You must make sure there is no contact between vinyl and car steel.  For door skins and up the back behind the seats i stuck foam to vinyl, let it set and then stuck that to car body.  For everything else i stuck down foam and then stuck down vinyl.  I do this for a job so its very easy for me to visualize complex geometric shapes and know where to make a cut.  For others i would recommend taking your time and testing each piece with small incremental cuts to see it sits flush.  Seal all seams with plumbing glue, this is really important as you need to make a airtight skin, preventing sound waves travelling through.

I cut out 3m thinsulate to the shape of each plastic trim panel and glued it using sikaflex spray on contact adhesive, think i used 3 or 4 cans.  Put a double layer of thinsulate if it will fit.  Especially on roof, this is where you will make alot of gains especially in heat proofing.  For roof, make sure you stagger any joints, preventing a direct path for heat to transfer.  I didnt bother making vinyl skin for roof, as once you hit the height of the windows, it seems fairly pointless.

You will notice varius holes and pockets in ur steel frame, i filled those with jaycar sound insulation.  If i had my time again, i would buy heaps more thinsulate, and use that instead of jaycar material, it has fire proof rating, couldnt find that info about jaycar stuff.  I stuffed heaps up behind dash,And filled the centre console pockets from underneath.  Centre console is quite a weak point, it provides direct path from outside, from noisy drive train.  Remember lapping etc here, anything you can do to shield/block noise will make a big difference.  I didnt do this initially, but once all other sound had been damped i could hear the constant drone of drive train, so did this later, it made a huge difference. Same as firewall, go as high up as you can with the vinyl, and then fill it with insulation. I made vinyl door trims, thinsulate on inside of plastic trims, stuffed holes for arm rest etc, then filled inside of door trims with jaycar insulation.  When you see it, you will realize that as long as you dont compact the jaycar insulation it will breathe/drain well in terms of moisture buildup re rust in your doors

With everything out its a great opportunity to run any cabling for later...

Final results were amazing.  I cant hear any traffic noise anymore, cab gets colder alot quicker, still not as good as a hilux though.., even my own vehicle noise is heavily reduced, can only feel vibration until about 1500rpm. With ceramic window tint i think you would be slightly better.

I did take some pics, but unfortunately i cant find them.

Took about 3 days, including strip and reassemble of interior, budget for 5 if you dont work with insulation.  Well worth doing.

Aluminium backed butyl rubber, not sure where u will get it, commonly called iwr, dont need too much,
https://www.insu-w-rapid.nl/our-product ... nsulation/
Actually jaycar sell this too i found out
https://www.jaycar.com.au/butyl-based-s ... l/p/AX3687

Yoga mat, 3mm, from kmart, 5 bucks ea, need around 10
https://www.kmart.com.au/product/yoga-mat/698303

Mass loaded vinyl, jaycar, need around 25, 11.15 ea
https://www.jaycar.com.au/heavy-duty-so ... d/p/AX3680

3m thinsulate, from rs components, cant remember how many i used maybe i ordered 11, measure up amd then get 50-100% more i would say with hindsight.
https://au.rs-online.com/mobile/p/sound ... g/8814557/

Jaycar sound dampening material, think i used 3 or 4 sheets
https://www.jaycar.com.au/650gsm-acryli ... l/p/AX3694
ntmntriton

Re: Interior mod, sound and temp insulation

Postby NowForThe5th on Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:10 pm

Great post. :D

Please keep looking for the pictures.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby ntmntriton on Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:06 pm

No good, only 1 pic showing completed before i put seats back. Maybe thats why i never ended up posting, bcos i forgot to take pics as i went. If somebody else does it hopefully they will take some pics...
ntmntriton

Postby Duck on Mon Dec 02, 2019 9:58 am

Now that you have worked out what you would change second time around, I am very excited to see how well you do mine !!!!
This has been on my to do list longer than Tritons have been around, but alas still nothing.
Why do today what you can put off until tomorrow.
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby ntmntriton on Mon Dec 02, 2019 4:11 pm

Yep i hear you, was quite a bit of work, but i am glad i did it. Couldnt hear the radio at all, and the ac does suck. But i did audio upgrade, reversing camera, dual batt gauge, and run cabling for winch and lightbar at same time so made it more worth it.
ntmntriton

Return to Tips & Tricks