Scangauge /trip computer mounting

Scangauge /trip computer mounting

Postby Lasty83 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:07 am

Hey guys , i just put a scangauge in my
ML glxr and no matter how hard i try
I cant get any velcro / double sided tape to hold that little bugger .. getting a bit sick of it floating around my centre console lol... any one got any hints on whats best ?? Or even where i can get a mounting bracket..

Cheers Lasty

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk
Lasty83

Re: Scangauge /trip computer mounting

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 21, 2022 6:11 am

You don't say where you want to mount the Scangauge or where the loss of adhesion problem is happening, so I'll just give you a generic answer.

Go to your local Repco store and buy a roll of their exterior double sided mounting tape. The tape itself is black but has a coloured removable protective strip over the glue. You can get it in 10mm and 20mm widths. If your local auto store has the 3M tape it's better, but expensive.

Prepare your Scangauge and mounting point. This is super important, especially if the dash has ever been treated with any kind of plastic/vinyl conditioner like ArmourAll. This stuff contains silicones which prevent the double sided tape from sticking or staying stuck and there are two different kinds, one water based and the other not. Follow this procedure exactly or it will not work.

Clean with a cloth dipped in water with detergent and dry with a clean, soft cloth. Next clean the mounting areas with Prepsol or Wax and Grease Remover. Rub it in a bit with your finger wrapped in the cloth and remove immediately with a clean cloth. Repeat and allow to dry - about 15 minutes.

Now wet a corner of a cloth with an alcohol based cleaner - methylated spirits will do, or you can get a small bottle of Permastick Isopropyl Cleaner from Bunnings for about $3. Same procedure as for the Prepsol.

Clean your hands and make sure you do not touch the prepared areas. Cut tape and apply to the Scangauge, pressing down firmly before removing the protective strip. Then position carefully and press on to the area where you want to mount. You only get one go at this so make sure you have it lined up, or you'll have to start all over again.

This is how I mount things like badges or garnishes to exterior paintwork and they never come off. My Scangauge has been sitting on the top of my dash for about 8 years and is still rock solid.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Lasty83 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:04 pm

Sorry mate i wanted to mount it on my dash so its in eyesight .. but it was no good .. it the super heavy duty double sided tape from repco but it wouldnt stick to back of tool... so i tried sticking it to centre console and now tape only lasts 1 -2 days before it lets go.. bit of pain

Lasty83

Postby Lasty83 on Thu Apr 21, 2022 5:05 pm

Ill scrub dash when i get home and re try it again ... thanks for you advice

Lasty83

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:49 pm

This is where mine sits in the Paj. Easily viewed but not in the way.

SAM_1618.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Return to Tips & Tricks