Tech article - Add an ipod input cable to the stock headunit

Re: Tech article - Add an ipod input cable to the stock headunit

Postby subi_man on Mon Jul 27, 2009 4:49 pm

8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby contact on Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 pm

is there a similar 'fix' for the glx head unit?
contact

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:54 am

Thanks all for the info. I shall be getting the said bits from Jaycar and doing this audio jack mod.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Postby L200warrior on Sat Aug 01, 2009 2:47 am

turto wrote:I went to Jaycar yesterday, and it cost me $4.90 for a 3.5mm female adaptor and a 50 cm audio extension. i already had the cd-rom audio cable lying around at home.
I just then soldiered the female socket to on end of the cd cabla and plugged the other into the back of the headunit as per the picture above. then ran it out the passenger side the the bottom of the dash.
I did it this way so that i can run a longer audio cable to the back and plug the kids dvd players in.
Click to view larger picture

You use a conector to cd-rom audio or you use terminal of conectorcd.rom audio? you can put photo for this?
L200warrior

Postby turto on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:54 am

L200,
I used an old cd-rom audio cable (one that plugs from the motherboard to the back of the cd-rom drive) I removed the larger plastic clip from the end on the cable and the connectors on that end go straight into the back of the headunit. the other end I cut the connector off and soldered the female 3.5mm stereo jack.
I don't have any pics handy but will find another cable and take a couple for you.

I like the connector in the dash homer, nice work :)
Turto,

Beer is Life
turto

Postby L200warrior on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:38 pm

Okay. This morning I used the audio cable from my cd-rom and it worked !!!!!!!!! Now I have connected my N95! thank you very much everyone! with your permission, this information will www.clubl200.com in which Spanish is the portal of the L200
L200warrior

Postby b*g d*n on Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:55 am

thanks for this info
Dan
b*g d*n

Postby IML07 on Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:12 am

Hmmmmmmm i did this the expensive way and bought a Sony Head unit............ I think i may revert back to the factory unit and complete this mod :-)
IML07

Postby thomo on Sat Dec 12, 2009 11:50 am

subi_man,

Thanks subi_man.
I fitted my ipod aux cable this morning. All finished and working in half an hour .
Nice clear easy to read instructions all went to plan but I ran my cable out the
passengers side of the dash, so the ipod sits in the tray in front of the ashtray.

Thanks for the great instructions and pics.
cheers
thomo
thomo

Postby subi_man on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:14 pm

You're welcome Thomo - glad it's still useful to people 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby dogdan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:10 am

ipodcarpros.com have the leads. they also have iphone conection s that charge as well. cost a bit more ($90) but easy to fit and it just plugs straight in. Fitted with just 1 Scotch clip and that was it.
Also the blue wire is the ignition + in 08 glx-r ml's.

hope this helps someone.
dogdan

Postby snowman on Sun Feb 07, 2010 10:18 am

This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dogdan on Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:19 pm

snowman,

Yeah thats the one.
looks like they have reduced the price.

u'll need an adapter for iphone(which they have). It does nt list any thing after '07 but the head unit is the same.
was very quick to fit.
dogdan

Postby chippy nick on Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks Subi, I grabbed a cable and had it fitted in about 15 mins today! First mod to the triton, starting to get excited about more toys!
chippy nick

Postby killa on Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm

Homer wrote:I found the option best for me was soldering the jaycar female connection to the cable and mounting it in the dash.

It was neat and out of the way and I plug a long or short jack lead in depending if I run from my iphone or back to the kids ipod in the back.
Around where mine is in the pic had the best room behind (I would mount a touch higher if I did it again) but I just whacked it in anywhere close as I'm a bit of a bull at a gate (drive the same :roll: ) - there are plenty of places to mount it and no cables hanging out from behind the dash.

Sorry to bring this back to the fore again (and also make this a first post on here) buUut..
With the female jack plug, you get 2 terminals for Left and Right audio. Where (and for what purpose) is the third wire meant to go?
Cheers,

Cal
killa

Postby mjc85 on Tue May 04, 2010 5:54 am

Hey guys, I have read this thread and found it interesting, but then not only do you need your audio cable plugged in, you then need your ipod charger too and two cables is two too many. I found this http://cgi.ebay.com.au/MITSUBISHI-TRITO ... 45f26bdbfb

Is there a cheaper alternative to buying this one? What sort of connectors are on the end of the cable that goes in behind head unit? They don't show you in those pictures, obviously so its harder for you to find a cheaper alternative.

Cheers
Mitch
White Auto MN Triton

Baysies Bash Plates
Rhino Lining
Coopers ST 245/70R17
Wet Seat Covers

First tank of diesel 502km from 60L = 11.95L/100km

Plenty of mods to come (how bad will the consumption get with barwork etc?) :\
mjc85

Postby easyt on Wed May 05, 2010 8:48 pm

just did a bit of research on this and because im a tight a$$ i thought i would share a cheaper version of whats being offered on ebay.

The $69 cable on ebay is just an ipod AV cable with aditional usb connection for the charging.

so therefor if your happy to cut and splice a few wires you can save yourself a fair bit of money. if you have an older iphone or ipod you can replicate the ipod cable for $9.95 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190392812522

or if like me you have a new iphone you will need the slightly more expensive version at $26.39 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350349352109

the video part of this lead could then be used if you wanted to run a screen in the dash or in the headrests for the kids in the back.

the splicing involved is simply getting the left, right and ground audio wires into the aux socket on the back of the head unit. to charge the ipod with the same cable you just plug the usb part of the cable into a iphone car charger (12vdc to 5vdc adaptor) that you can get for around $2 from ebay or $5 from mobile phone shops.

but after typing this all out, im starting to think that maybe its just easier to pay the $69 and have someone else do all the extra work :roll:
-
MY08 GLS Auto 3.2DiD
Car PC with 7" touch Screen, Reversing Camera, OBDii interface.
Chip-IT chip
-
easyt

Postby mjc85 on Thu May 06, 2010 5:31 am

easyt wrote:just did a bit of research on this and because im a tight a$$ i thought i would share a cheaper version of whats being offered on ebay.

The $69 cable on ebay is just an ipod AV cable with aditional usb connection for the charging.

so therefor if your happy to cut and splice a few wires you can save yourself a fair bit of money. if you have an older iphone or ipod you can replicate the ipod cable for $9.95 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190392812522

or if like me you have a new iphone you will need the slightly more expensive version at $26.39 http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350349352109

the video part of this lead could then be used if you wanted to run a screen in the dash or in the headrests for the kids in the back.

the splicing involved is simply getting the left, right and ground audio wires into the aux socket on the back of the head unit. to charge the ipod with the same cable you just plug the usb part of the cable into a iphone car charger (12vdc to 5vdc adaptor) that you can get for around $2 from ebay or $5 from mobile phone shops.

but after typing this all out, im starting to think that maybe its just easier to pay the $69 and have someone else do all the extra work :roll:

Hey Mate, with the $70 one it fetches a 5v power supply from the rear of the unit. Could you not just cut the usb connector off the $10 cable and wire it into the power supply of the head unit (12v) or where else would you fetch 5v from at the rear as i prefer not to have the ipod taking up the 12v socket.
White Auto MN Triton

Baysies Bash Plates
Rhino Lining
Coopers ST 245/70R17
Wet Seat Covers

First tank of diesel 502km from 60L = 11.95L/100km

Plenty of mods to come (how bad will the consumption get with barwork etc?) :\
mjc85

Postby Homer on Thu May 06, 2010 6:00 am

They look pretty good as a single cable set up and would suit heavy users.

But I can run my iphone ipod music all day long without draining the phone. Used it for 5 days recently and still had between 1/4 and 1/3 charge left after maybe 10 hrs music each day.

Although I wasn't getting phone calls to drain it, but I was out of service mostly which I hear uses more power roaming to pick up signal?
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby easyt on Fri May 07, 2010 6:38 pm

mjc85 wrote:Hey Mate, with the $70 one it fetches a 5v power supply from the rear of the unit. Could you not just cut the usb connector off the $10 cable and wire it into the power supply of the head unit (12v) or where else would you fetch 5v from at the rear as i prefer not to have the ipod taking up the 12v socket.

i havent had the spare 10 mins to pull the head unit out and check for a 5v line as yet but if you need to make 12vdc turn into 5vdc by hard wiring in a solution, just throw in a 7805 voltage reg in the 12vdc line. Last time i purchased one from Jaycar it cost me $1.35 and it will regulate the voltage so the iphone/ipod will be happy.

Hopefully the cable i ordered wont take too long to get here and i can give you more feedback on how it works.
-
MY08 GLS Auto 3.2DiD
Chip-IT chip
-
easyt

Postby easyt on Fri May 07, 2010 6:41 pm

Homer wrote:They look pretty good as a single cable set up and would suit heavy users.

But I can run my iphone ipod music all day long without draining the phone. Used it for 5 days recently and still had between 1/4 and 1/3 charge left after maybe 10 hrs music each day.

Although I wasn't getting phone calls to drain it, but I was out of service mostly which I hear uses more power roaming to pick up signal?

I would agree with that Homer, for most people im sure that the 3.5mm socket would be the way to go. but for people like me who always forget to charge the phone overnight it does come in handy ;)
-
MY08 GLS Auto 3.2DiD
Chip-IT chip
-
easyt

Postby mitchcool1 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:58 pm

Hi there, do i need to get this cable from Mits? Seems like i could just go to Jaycar and pick up a female headphone jack as suggested and head phone cable and wire it....My only issues is what size or what type of connectors do i need to the plug? are they just spade connectors?
Or do i have to get the plug from mits and then change the jack to female?

cheers Mitch..

P.S when the stereo is on AUX mode will my phone still work on auto when bluethooth is on?
mitchcool1

Postby gregned on Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi mitchcool1
they are solder on connectors and the jaycar option is the most cost effective
Hills maketh the man
Why do you have to ride today? Because getting fat never takes holidays
gregned

Re: Tech article - Add an ipod input cable to the stock head

Postby 4x4fun on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:40 pm

Champion, H... see this is why i love this site. before i went on my NT trip i wanted to do this and was told by various people that "it cant be done" and one local "fully sick" car audio place wanted to charge me $280 for the cable because "oh mate it's a hard job takes ages man". so out came the blank cd's :roll: PITA...

guess what mod i'm doing next ;)....

Subi... u d man 8-) 8-)
i ordered my cable (thanks for the part number :idea: ) it cost me $39.20 and was here in 2 days. i got stick into it and after a bit of a blonde moment (viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5622&p=112322#p112322) was listening to the sweet sounds of "Faith No More" from the ipod in around 15min :D

Thanks again!
Know your limits, test them daily – but know them….
4x4fun

Re: Tech article - Add an ipod input cable to the stock head

Postby tonymac on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:26 pm

Hey there

I realise my contribution to this post is about 18 months late (new member), but I purchased an iPod interface via ebay. It was approx $60 and plugs directly into the factory head unit then the factory loom plugs into that. The advantage of this mod is the connection to your iPod is the exact replica iPod plug and as such it will also charge the iPod player (but be sure to stipulate which model of iPod you have when ordering i.e 5G Nano etc, as the older units are a different voltage to the newer ones).

Cheers
tonymac

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks