Fitting Fog Lights and GLX-R Stalk to a ML VR, MN GLX/GLR

Re: wiring fog lamps in GLX

Postby coughy on Tue Jun 28, 2016 5:54 pm

andriesvdv wrote:Hi HarryB50, did this mod successfully to my 2013 GLX.
See post by sijmen viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3330&start=25#p356256

this is what you need to read
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jun 28, 2016 10:28 pm

HarryB50 wrote:CD, PS - would appreciate any diagrams you may have..

I'll confine myself to some Australian diagrams for now. These look to be what you'd need.

Fog light wiring pages.pdf

Fog light dash light.pdf
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby HarryB50 on Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:51 am

CD, thank you for your diagrams. They look like the same as the pages in the workshop manual I have (pp. 3812 and 3681). If you can tell me how to, I'll post the whole PDF file, so everyone can benefit.

andriesvdv, thank you also for the link to sijmen's excellent post. That hits the spot.
A few things out of that:
1. If I can attach/upload the manual PDF, it will give a clearer page for the sijmen's circuit diagram - it's not quite the same, with more plug info at the bottom, but the circuitry looks the same.
2. While I haven't had a chance yet to pull out the plugs in the post, I'm a little chuffed that it looks like I might have guessed right about pin 3 not being connected somehow. I'm hoping to see if that's right with my Triton.
3. sijmen mentions he couldn't get the dash fog light indicator to work. The circuit diagram looks like it's a straight connection from the C-33 connector (R(ed)-G(reen) lead on pin 2 OUT) to the light (in the Combination Meter, pin 11 IN, C-113 connector), not going through any ECU. The photos seem to show a missing terminal in the pin 2 OUT spot. There should be a V(iolet) lead from the relay to the pin 2 IN. Perhaps something similar to what sijmen did with the power could be done - run a lead from the C-33 to C-113 ?

Again, I want to thank you all for your guidance - nice to know you're not on your own out there.
HarryB50

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:28 am

Harry, good result and great information for the members.

You can only post picture attachments if you're a Platinum Member, otherwise it needs to be a link via Photobucket or similar.

I've merged this thread with the other, linked above, in the interests of keeping all this valuable information in one place.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Re: Fitting Fog Lights and GLX-R Stalk to a ML VR, MN GLX/GL

Postby liamk on Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:16 pm

Thought id share some of my findings with this mod. I went about trying to do this on my MY14 GLX but using a dash mounted switch from ebay instead of the glxr indicator stalk. I ran a wire to pin 3 on the c33 connector from my switch and used the positive illumination feed (fed from tail light relay) from the (not fitted) rear diff lock switch connector as a trigger.
The problem I found with this on inspection of a wiring diagram is that the factory fog light relay is negatively switched so therefor requires my dash switch to be on the neg side.
Now because the relay coil positive is constantly energised (eg. is not energised from the park light circuit) its not as simple as switching a ground wire to the relay (unless you dont mind the fog light switch working independently of the park lights and ignition)
I have thought about seeing if the park light circuit from the indicator stalk is also negatively switched so i can tap into that but it seems to be computerised signals from a "column ecu" to the ETACS which negatively triggers the tail lamp relay internally in the ETACS.
So it looks like i will be going back to using my own wiring and relay or installing a GLXR stalk as I cant think of a satisfactory way around this bloody negatively switched factory relay!
Also after looking at the wiring diagram, i believe Harry is right in saying the instrument cluster fog indicator lamp should work by running a wire from pin 2 c33 connector to pin 11 of c113 connector which i think plugs directly into the cluster. (this wire to the cluster lamp is also missing in GLX, along with the wire from the etacs to the fog lamp relay as first mentioned by Sijmen)
Cheers
liamk

Postby Mykitea on Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:22 pm

So has anyone been successfull with a 2014 glx?
Mykitea

Postby liamk on Fri Nov 30, 2018 9:55 pm

Mykitea wrote:So has anyone been successfull with a 2014 glx?

yes ive done it to my MY14 GLX. Just havent got the dash light to work because i couldnt install the new pin into the cluster connector without destroying it. Has anyone been able to do this aside from splicing in the whole connector from a GLXR?
liamk

Postby MrCozy on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:33 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I have a question...I changed over the stalk no problem, went to plug the relay into the fusebox, and lo and behold, there are no spade connections at that relay location...just blank holes. Does that mean there is no loom from steering column to the fusebox, or no loom from the fusebox to the foglight location, or both? I have a 09 ML MLX Man. I was hoping to be able to run foggies by the stalk, rather than have to completely wire them in via a harness and switch on the dash. Cheers.

And if thats the case that I wont be able to use the stalk, anybody looking for one?...lol ..
MrCozy

Postby Silver_ML on Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:07 pm

liamk wrote:Thought id share some of my findings with this mod. I went about trying to do this on my MY14 GLX but using a dash mounted switch from ebay instead of the glxr indicator stalk. I ran a wire to pin 3 on the c33 connector from my switch and used the positive illumination feed (fed from tail light relay) from the (not fitted) rear diff lock switch connector as a trigger.
The problem I found with this on inspection of a wiring diagram is that the factory fog light relay is negatively switched so therefor requires my dash switch to be on the neg side.
Now because the relay coil positive is constantly energised (eg. is not energised from the park light circuit) its not as simple as switching a ground wire to the relay (unless you dont mind the fog light switch working independently of the park lights and ignition)
I have thought about seeing if the park light circuit from the indicator stalk is also negatively switched so i can tap into that but it seems to be computerised signals from a "column ecu" to the ETACS which negatively triggers the tail lamp relay internally in the ETACS.
So it looks like i will be going back to using my own wiring and relay or installing a GLXR stalk as I cant think of a satisfactory way around this bloody negatively switched factory relay!
Also after looking at the wiring diagram, i believe Harry is right in saying the instrument cluster fog indicator lamp should work by running a wire from pin 2 c33 connector to pin 11 of c113 connector which i think plugs directly into the cluster. (this wire to the cluster lamp is also missing in GLX, along with the wire from the etacs to the fog lamp relay as first mentioned by Sijmen)
Cheers

Hi liamk,

Did you manage to figure out the negative switching to get the dash switching working? I'd like to follow your idea and use the existing loom wiring and relays/fuses but not change the indicator stalk.
Silver_ML

Postby liamk on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:35 pm

No i installed a glxr indicator stalk. Easy to fit. Cheap from a wrecker. I still had to run a wire that was missing from rhs to lhs of the dash
liamk

Postby liamk on Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:51 pm

Or you could use a rocker switch and the fog lights will work without the park lights being on first. You will have to remember to turn the fog lights off when you leave the car. Do this by switching a ground wire to pin 3 on the c33 connector behind the LHS kick panel
liamk

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks