Fitting Fog Lights and GLX-R Stalk to a ML VR, MN GLX/GLR

Fitting Fog Lights and GLX-R Stalk to a ML VR, MN GLX/GLR

Postby Choady on Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:18 pm

For about $100 and 30 min of your time its relatively straight forward to install the GLX-R fog light lever to your steering column - then fit a relay to the relay/fuse block in the engine bay to get either factory fog lights, or bullbar mounted fog lights working on your VR Triton. My research is only for the VR (which has all the fog light wiring looms fitted) – So I don’t know if this would work on any other model Triton under a VR.

Parts required are a GLX-R fog light lever ($150 new from spare parts), and a Relay (Part # MI-MR588567 for $26.90). I rang around the wreckers and got a whole steering assembly combination switch for $70 – shown in the first picture. You obviously only need the right hand lever, but at least I got some spare parts for half the cost of just a new lever !

Click to view larger picture
The lever comes out simply by pressing in the two white tabs on each side of where it mounts, and it slides out with a little fiddling. The next photo shows the two levers side by side.
The fog light lever is an integral item, with all wiring contained within. The VR has all the wiring already fitted at factory to the female wiring socket the lever slides into to enable use of the fog light switch. The next photo shows the rear of the two levers side by side showing the extra wiring on the right for the fog light lever.
The steering cover removal is straight forward with 3 screws and six ‘claws’ holding it together. You don’t need to remove any other dash bits to get the upper and lower covers off.
Once you have the covers off, remove the existing right lever, and fit the new one.
Next you need to fit a new relay into the relay/fuse box in the engine compartment located just to the right of the battery.
If you don’t have a relay yet, you can test out the circuit by using one of the other relays and just moving its position. I used one of the headlight relay’s temporarily to test the circuit with a multi meter. I then picked up a relay a few days later from Mitsubishi Spares.
Tucked up behind the fog light cover wrapped in tape is the end of the connectors (green) that fit to the fog lights.
With a relay fitted, turn accessory power on, then turn on the headlights and flick the fog light switch to on. Then you can check with a multi meter you are getting 12v power. Then it is just a matter of fitting your fog lights to your existing bumper or bull bar and your in business !

When re-fitting the upper and lower steering column covers be careful not to force them – they should slide together easily. You need to ensure the male/female bits of plastic line up, otherwise you can bend them and possibly snap them off. Put them together away from the steering column to learn which parts mate together to make it simple.
Once finished – even the dash lights work !
Sorry for the delay in posting up this guide. I know I said I’d do it some time ago :oops:

NOTE TO MN OWNERS: See also this excellent post for the missing link you will need to complete the work described above:http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=3330&start=25#p356256
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title amended to reflect content and aid future searches
Choady

Re: Tech Article-Fitting Fog Lights and GLXR Fog Switch to a VR

Postby sam on Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:04 pm

Top notch write up mate well done. ;)
I wanted to buy a VR and was wondering what was involved with fitting foggy's but there were none left at all so they reckoned so hence had to go the GLX-R :roll:
sam

Postby Buzzy on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:00 pm

Thats a very good guide Choady, well done mate ;)
Buzzy
Valued Contributor

Postby Blue on Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:03 pm

Excellent effort, whilst I have a GLX-R, it's nice to see guy's going the extra for other members...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby MR T on Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:51 am

the photos make the whole thing so much easyer to understand great job :D
a smile is a sign of joy, a hug is a sign of love, a laugh is a sign of happiness and a friend like me...well...that's a sign of good taste.
MR T

Postby snowman on Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:00 pm

yes nice work choady! 8-) 8-)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 85HiluxSR5 on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:02 am

your a legend thanks
85HiluxSR5

Postby golden on Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:31 pm

Nice work Choady
Gave me the incentive to install mine. The relay was easy to find at the wreckers courtsey of a magna.
Swapped the indicator with a glxr one - too easy
Cheers
Last edited by golden on Mon Feb 08, 2010 5:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
PB Challenger MY12 Auto 4WD
VR 06 2008 3.2TD Auto - Gone
MQ Patrol - Play Truck
golden

Postby rambo7 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:17 pm

did you have any trouble getting the front bumper off to
fit the foglights
rambo7

Postby golden on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:39 pm

rambo7 wrote:did you have any trouble getting the front bumper off to
fit the foglights

I did mine by taking the inner guard off. The inner screw for the light bracket is biatch to get at. The passenger side was easier, however you have to move the washer bottle out of the way. :)
PB Challenger MY12 Auto 4WD
VR 06 2008 3.2TD Auto - Gone
MQ Patrol - Play Truck
golden

Postby damaged on Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:29 pm

Hi Choady,

Good article thanks very much. I have recently installed the Fogs in the bumper of my VR, and was wanting to use the standard wiring provided, but just intercept the wires before the stalk and put a switch on it. Would that work?

Can to tell me where I would be able to access the wires before the stalk or is it bundled into a loom right up to the steering column?

Would appreaciate anyones input on this, cheers.

Shawn
damaged

Postby Greedy on Sun Feb 07, 2010 5:42 pm

Chaody might not be able to answer in the short term. He is currently overseas in a less hospitable country than ours. :( I can't help with your wiring either. :oops:
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tokirky on Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:46 pm

Excellant article, so good i'm doing it now - however NO stalks or wrecked tritons in Brisbane ATM....

can't find a friggen' STALK :evil:

So my question is does anyone know if a Pajero or Outlander or ....... does anyone have the same stalk as US......

ML tri that is ;)

Maybe I'll just have to wait a while.

lee
If its worth doin' its worth doin' right !
tokirky

Re: Tech Article-Fitting Fog Lights and GLXR Fog Switch to a

Postby 2012triton on Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:34 pm

Hi there guys. I know it has been while but I have just bought a 2012 glr triton. I have followed what you guys have done to install the fog lights but they dont work. Did you guys swap out the wiper stalk aswell with a glxr wiper stalk? Because I have noticed that the power wires run through the wiper stalk and then crosses over to the blinker stalk.
2012triton

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jul 01, 2012 3:05 pm

Tim, the quickest way I can think of to piss off members of a forum is to keep asking the same question. This is now the third time. You need to show a little patience, mate. Members who might have the answer to your question may not log in every day and it is the weekend so they may actually have other commitments. Sometimes others haven't actually tried to do what you are attempting or contemplating so it may be either up to your own resources to find the answer or wait until someone else does.

On this forum we really encourage all members to search for information before starting threads or even asking questions in existing threads. This keeps the duplication down to a minimum and makes it easier for those already here, as well as new members, to find information. Searching is not difficult, in fact it is easier than starting a new post or thread. For example, I went to Search and typed in "fog light switch" and clicked the Search button. This was the result:
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/search.php?keywords=fog+light+switch&terms=all&author=&sc=1&sf=all&sr=posts&sk=t&sd=d&st=0&ch=300&t=0&submit=Search

You will see that in just the 5th post down jimbill asked almost the same question as you have and there haven't been any definite answers yet. This link was given to you by Cowboy Dave as well.

On the ML it was pretty much plug'n'play but the MN appears to be a little different. Some others have had the same problem recently and the difference seems to be in the harness in the steering column. To make it even more difficult, the majority of members here have the GLX-R so don't have the problem. You could try a PM to others that have posted or asked the same question, to see if they've found a solution and just haven't posted it up yet. I also seem to recall seeing something else about the two extra connections but can't put my finger on it just at the moment. Be patient, some other members with GL-R's will chime in.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bulldeye on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:25 pm

mate i know how you feel i got the glxr fog light stalk fitted at factory on my glx which is only afew weeks old i did what choay did but didnt work so i called my auto elec mate and he seems to know what it is and he thinks its simple. he will be looking at it sometime this week fingers crossed so when he does ill post up for all to read so all mn owners have some info aswell.

cheers
bulldeye

Postby 2012triton on Fri Aug 31, 2012 10:22 pm

Awesome. Hopefully he can work it out. Did some research at a dealer and found the glx to the glxr uses the same chassis harness but the glxr uses a different cab harness. It is around $1000 (so no thanks). The dealers will not give anyone a wiring diagram. If the cab harness is different then I bet the ecm is different. The reason I beleive the ecm is different would that when the scroll is moved it returns to the centre position. This would require an ecm control (which we don't have) If you manage to wire up the fog lights without the ecm then would need a micro switch or some sort to keep the relay on after the scroll has returned back to the centre position.
2012triton

Postby sijmen on Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:49 pm

I brought a 2012 GLR, had a ARB Bull Bar fitted and wanted to get the fog lights installed, but did not want the rediculous mouse switch that ARB supply glued on my dash. My auto electrician also saw that the fog light wiring was installed, so I opted to buy a new GLX-R indicator stalk with the fog light switch and a relay. Like you guys, I was expecting everything to just work, but sadly it didn't. I went to mitsubishi and they looked at the computer unit to see if there was a feature setting to turn on the Fog light. (apprently the Lancer had this) However they could not find such a setting. At this stage, Mitsubishi are looking into the issue futher for me.

Its interesting what you said about a micro switch or relay being required to keep the fog light switch on. I just had a look at the relays under the dash, and there seems to be at least three places where additional relays could be fitted, and I can see that there is existing wiring behind them. I wonder if there is also a requirment to add additional relays under the dash in some of those blanks?

I will post what I find out.

Regards, Sijmen.
sijmen

Postby ag9111 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:03 pm

Fog light relays are installed in the engine bay relay box. How much was the new stalk?
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby sijmen on Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:38 pm

Thats correct. There is a relay under the bonnet for the high current side of the fog light circuit. However, because the switch is a momentary switch, there needs to be some other mechanisim of keeping the switch on. I'm guessing thats either in the computer, or done by some other relay, which I assumed might be one of the blanks under the dash. I used a spare relay and tested each of the blanks, but nothing happened. (Maybe it needs 2 relays to work as a pair, one to turn on and one to turn off, but I'm really taking a stab in the dark.) End result is, the fog lights still don't work. I'll just have to wait for Mitusbishi to get back to me.

The Stork cost me $160 and the relay cost me $22.

Regards, Sijmen.
sijmen

Postby srb on Sun Nov 18, 2012 8:58 am

Can someone with a MN workshop manual be so kind to post the wiring diagram for the fog light control circuit? I don't have the fog light stalk on mine (glx) but still want to mount a switch on the dash to activate the existing control circuit so the fog light symbol illuminates. I could just wire it direct but would be cool to use the existing wiring harness and circuit. I found the fuse and relay under the bonnet for them and bridged the contact load side to check if it all works and it did. I found a relay at the wreckers for 5 bucks so all I gotta do it find a way to get the control circuit fired up? It looks like it switches the ground to the coil. The wire is black with blue trace but cannot find it up at the stalk or anywhere? :? Could it be tied into an ecu module? hmmm
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby srb on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:04 am

Ahhh :oops: Just read the post above from 2012triton. :( :lol: Oh well will just run another wire from that fuse box to activate the relay. :roll:

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:06 am

I'm afraid I don't have my workshop manual disc at the moment and the one laptop I had it loaded on has gone and died. Otherwise would have loved to help this project come to fruition. If pulling apart the column etc beware of the airbag wiring.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby srb on Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:15 am

Yeah I had the steering column apart and saw those wires.. didnt touch. ;) I did confirm that there wasn't enough wires for the fog lights so i guess like above post suggest that the in cab wiring harness is different between the glx and glx-r. :cry:

srb
Platinum Subscriber

Fitting Fog Lights and GLX-R Stalk to MN GLX/GLR

Postby sijmen on Mon Feb 18, 2013 6:07 am

So its been a long time coming, but I finally got the fog lights on my MN GLR to work using a GLX-R indicator stork which includes the fog light switch.

If anyone is still interested in how to do it, then I will spend the time detailing it.
Last edited by NowForThe5th on Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Title amended to reflect content and aid future searches
sijmen

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks