Turbo Wastegate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test results

Re: Turbo Wastegate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test results

Postby Homer on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:33 am

borngeek wrote:Comparing it to commodore drivers pulling out the headlights is a bit harsh mate. Keep it above the belt OK ;)

Fair dinkum...he'll be having a crack at the Chev badge on me Triton next..
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby reeldreamer on Thu Aug 19, 2010 10:35 am

borngeek wrote:
reeldreamer wrote:I have done this wastegate arm modification and just installed the scangauge and the boost is 14.7psi. I really don't believe it made any difference at all. I will set in back to the previous position to see if it makes any change to the boost. I think if your chasing extra boost just install a bleed valve and be done with it. I can't argue with the EGR blanking plate but the wastegate mod is a backyard modification worth avoiding. Its like these guys who pull their front headlight out of their crappy commonwhores to get cold air induction......Waste of time!

Mitch

Thats a bit of a big call there Mitch.

It DEFINATELY increases your boost.. Try it with your scanguage at both settings and I am 100% positive you will see the data that shows the difference in psi..

Whether your bum in seat experience is dissapointing or not to you is par for course.

This is a cheap mod/trick without putting in a bleed valve. (boost controller)
Anyway if you dont have a chipIT (with MAP installed) the engine will limp at 17psi anyway.. So this is a easy and cheap way to get from 14.5psi (std) to around 16psi or more if you take out the locknut..

Comparing it to commodore drivers pulling out the headlights is a bit harsh mate. Keep it above the belt OK ;)

Yeah probably an unfair comparsion there but still for the very small gain if at all it's hardly worth the time! I have got my scangauge set perfectly and the most boost I can achieve is 14.7psi. 1-2psi is hardly going to produce that much difference for the risk of voiding your warranty.

Mitch
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby GLX-R Alex on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:12 pm

With this mod i can get to a max of 16.8psi
GLX-R Alex

Postby borngeek on Thu Aug 19, 2010 3:34 pm

GLX-R Alex wrote:With this mod i can get to a max of 16.8psi

THANKS Alex!

2psi is a considerable increase over stock and totally worthy (and bum in seat I FEEL IT!)

When i say cheap what I SHOULD have said is FREE. 2psi for nothing.. and you wont void any warrantee at all (as inside engine parameters set by ECU)

Still in my top 5 mods with the EGR blank (thanks again Alex) ! :D
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby reeldreamer on Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:42 am

Interestingly since have had both intake manifolds changed I have seen the boost increase from around 14.7 to just on 16psi! I stand corrected re the adjustment as obviously my manifolds were creating a boost loss. I guess a valuable indicator of the state of your manifolds if you adjust the arm and the boost doesn't reach 16psi and above you have a problem!

Mitch

reeldreamer

Postby touchit on Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:54 pm

reeldreamer wrote:Interestingly since have had both intake manifolds changed I have seen the boost increase from around 14.7 to just on 16psi! I stand corrected re the adjustment as obviously my manifolds were creating a boost loss. I guess a valuable indicator of the state of your manifolds if you adjust the arm and the boost doesn't reach 16psi and above you have a problem!

Mitch

sorry for my dumbness, how could your manifolds lose boost unless the gaskets were leaking :? ??
touchit

Postby reeldreamer on Mon Aug 30, 2010 9:08 am

touchit wrote:
reeldreamer wrote:Interestingly since have had both intake manifolds changed I have seen the boost increase from around 14.7 to just on 16psi! I stand corrected re the adjustment as obviously my manifolds were creating a boost loss. I guess a valuable indicator of the state of your manifolds if you adjust the arm and the boost doesn't reach 16psi and above you have a problem!

Mitch

sorry for my dumbness, how could your manifolds lose boost unless the gaskets were leaking :? ??

If you have seen the inlet manifolds affected by the carbon build up you'd understand the restriction generated and hindered path the air must try and take to the inlet side of the engine. Intercoolers casue boost loss yet they don't leak....It's possible i have the before and after results using the scangauge!

reeldreamer

Postby GLX-R Alex on Mon Aug 30, 2010 6:16 pm

my vid of this is on youtube....16.2psi...in this test. Sometimes i can get 17.1 psi if give it in 1st and 2nd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq2RrYfp-v0
GLX-R Alex

Postby Longranger1 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:13 pm

I am pretty sure that the VGTurbo on the MN HP2.5s has its boost controlled by the variable geometry vanes rather than a wastegate set up. The actuator looks like a wastegate dashpot but it really only alters the vane settings. I stand corrected if I am wrong so perhaps someone could explain the VGT set up a bit better.

I don't think I'll be messing with mine!
Last edited by Longranger1 on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The voices in my head may not be real, but they do have some damned good ideas.

If it's feral, it's in peril.

MN turbo lag? What lag??

99% of lawyers give the rest a bad name.
Longranger1
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NitroGLXRin on Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:46 pm

Longranger1 wrote:I am pretty sure that the VGTurbo on the MN HP2.5s has its boost controlled by the variable geometry vanes rather than a wastegate set up. The actuator looks like a wastregate dashpot but it really alters the vane settings. I stand corrected if I am wrong so perhaps someone could explain the VGT set up a bit better.

I don't think I'll be messing with mine!

as far as I know its kinda right! The variable turbos change the angle of attack of the blades according to the engine rpms for better optimisation. Apparently this is meant to reduce lag, so imagine if the MN didnt have variable vanes :lol: .

Some variable vane turbos dont have wastegates but some do. I havent looked but Id guess the MN still has the wastegate because it controls overboost.
NitroGLXRin

Re: Turbo Wastegate arm "ADJUSTMENT MOD" And full test resul

Postby Yeahright on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:23 pm

Im a little confused!! Is this md for the 2.5 or the 3.2?? I may have missed something, If it for the 2.5 is it possible to do to the 3.2, because I dont have a lot of mechanical skills but this looks like a really easy to get a little bit more power.

Yeahright
Yeahright

Postby Joe on Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:12 pm

Pretty sure this is only on the 3.2 Yeahright. The 2.5 has a different setup. And it is easy to do, just don't drop the little clip :?
Dad
----
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.
Joe

Postby Yeahright on Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:51 am

I did this mod this morning, it seems to have smoothed the power out, and yes I did drop the bloody clip, even after being told not to, I hoped to get into the legend catagory by not dropping the clip but I did, this is good easy mod that got me a bit of power with no expence.
Yeahright
Yeahright

Postby RHKTriton on Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:53 pm

We all drop the clip - bugger!

Has anyone tried taking the pressure downstream of the throttle flap to the waste gate actuator?
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Kegsy on Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:48 am

Changing the wastegate arm does NOT directly increase boost.

The wastegate has a set spring in which it will relieve pressure at a certain level, this is a constant and can't be changed. This spring is what gives the maximum boost level and cannot be changed without rebuilding the wastegate. Adjusting the arm controls when boost is applied, IE: how soon or late boost will be allowed to pass to the intake or be dumped into the exhaust.

You will notice boost come on faster and it will spike above the stock level giving you these Scangauge levels making you think you've got more boost, but its just a spike. At WOT you aren't getting anymore boost than stock once the wastegate is fully engaged.

Thats why Alex said if he really gives it to it in first or second gear he can get more boost... Get more boost by planting your foot harder? Doesn't work like that. The sudden throttle input is just getting the wastegate to suddenly open causing a boost spike, once the spring in the wastegate gains control the boost level is set. No more boost than stock.

If you want more boost get a boost controller, why do you think chip it provided boost controllers with their chips ?

If you want the boost you have to come on quicker, do this mod.
Triton be gone :cry:
Kegsy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Mar 27, 2011 12:31 pm

Well guys (and gals)!

I've finally done the mod to the wastegate actuator hose for some testing. I have now run a hose over and tee'd into the port that the manifold pressure sensor connects to and blocked of the signal port in the compressor.

So far the drive seems quite "nice". Will have to see how it goes ove a few tanks.

My argument for this mod is that I want the compressor to go for it and let all the feedback actions originate where its important - at the inlet of the engine! I would suspect that the actions of the throttle would suppress boost during its motions (egr related) as the flap partially closing would up the pre flap pressure and this in turn would start blowing off some exhaust - and consequent boost.

With the wastegate operated post flap, your more likely to have boost "on-tap" with the knowledge that maximums aren't going to be exceeded as the wastegate is ultimately still controlled by the intake pressure.

The one suggestion I'd make though is that the port on the manifold has to clean and working. Simple blow through the pipe will confirm this.

Some Scanguage monitoring would be worthwhile here to see if there are any real benefits.

If everything behaves I'll then try it with the throttle flap disabled.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby EvanP246 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:16 am

Did the mod this evening, dropped the pin as well. :lol:

The truck definitely accelerates faster, but i agree with Kegsy. Unless you change your wastegate spring/ install a mbc/ebc you wont be making any more boost than stock.

Has anyone taken before and after readings on a real boost gauge? One they actually reads from the vacuum lines? That should dispel any controversy.

But all in all a great free mod. :D
EvanP246

Postby mad992 on Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:10 pm

mate iam in the club, i dropped the pin :oops:
mad992

Postby gauci204 on Tue Aug 23, 2011 9:12 pm

managed to get this done without dropping the pin. there is always a first time for everytyihng.

how can i tell if i have the newer manifold? i bought this second hand and have no idea if it has had the manifold replaced.

cheers

chris
gauci204

Postby outbackdove on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:15 pm

G'day All.

I am new on this site as I have just bought a 09 3.2 Triton. Which I'm very happy with.
I have read this post with interest as well as many other on here, with great information.
But with the all things considered, the boost change or increase you noticing with the linkage adjustment is actually boost spike (the boost will accelerate slightly quicker but not increase it)thats governed by the spring rate built in, changing the boost to a higher rate needs a bleed fitted on the waste gate or another waste gate itself. Also on diesels increasing boost will not destroy or wear the engine out faster, they just become air pumps, you also need to increase the fuel metering in order to make more power with boost, some engines run up to 45psi no problem at all.

Cheers John
outbackdove

Postby Blue on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:51 pm

gauci204 wrote:managed to get this done without dropping the pin. there is always a first time for everytyihng.

how can i tell if i have the newer manifold? i bought this second hand and have no idea if it has had the manifold replaced.

cheers

chris

G'day Chris - looking at the engine from the passenger side, if the MAP line originates near where the EGR pumps in you have the old manifold

I'm on my phone so it's not practical for me to search pics... If you search 'manifold replacement' you'll probably find some...

Blue
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SinWolf on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:51 pm

So....

Nothing that we can do to our 2.5's ????

:evil:
SinWolf

Postby coxy47 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:55 pm

Unfortunately nothing that simple. It can be increased but that requires messing with the electronics whether it be through a chip or an ecu retune. Thats the downside to the electronically controlled VGT.

EDIT: Reading that your in South Africa sinwolf i could be wrong. I seem to remember there was a 2.5 engine with a mechanically actuated waste gate on the L200's? :? Or im probably completely wrong and talking out of my ass. :roll: :lol:
Last edited by coxy47 on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coxy47

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Well that depends on how game you are. There's a ChipIt chip, an Ecutek tune and/or a sprint booster if we start with forum sponsors. Then there's the steinbauer, various other brands of power chips and tunes, 3 inch exhausts, monster triton piggy back ecu (actually not sure they have a 2.5 but this is only for the very brave anyway), methanol injection, water injection, blanking plate, throttle flap drilling or MAP bypass thingy, evo intercooler and no doubt some other stuff I've missed.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby SinWolf on Tue Nov 15, 2011 10:03 pm

coxy47 wrote:EDIT: Reading that your in South Africa sinwolf i could be wrong. I seem to remember there was a 2.5 engine with a mechanically actuated waste gate on the L200's? :? Or im probably completely wrong and talking out of my ass. :roll: :lol:

The first 1150 Tritons were imported to South Africa (from the UK)... It's a 2.5 Did 4x4 with super select...

The rest of them were assembled in South Africa...

So I assume myne should be the same spec as any other 2.5 UK model ?
SinWolf

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks