My install of ipod jack & centre trim removal

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:55 pm

Note, I've kept the photos with the top of the pictures towards the front of the car. I've hopefully written this for anyone who has never taken their car to bits, or is unfamiliar with electronics, so if I'm missed something, PM me. For those that know what they are doing, it's tough... you can skim read.

For this install you will need:
- CD ROM cable from an old computer
- A stereo jack of you choice (jaycar or electronics shop)
- Soldering iron
- a metre or so of 3 wire cable (three separate wires in a cable or 2 separate wires with a shield).
- Files, drill, self tapping screws etc.

Firstly, get yourself a wire coat hanger or wire etc and cut so you have two bits of wire. Click to view larger picture

Bend them so both wires are going into the 4 release holes, they push a spring in on the side of the radio, if it won't come out, wait until you've got the trim out (following).
Click to view larger picture

You can see the clips the wire needs to push in to remove the radio...

Open the centre console box and undo the two bolts (large black area). The plate with the 12V power and rear window switch clips out, get your finger into the 12V socket to pull upwards and away from the centre console. I currently run my radio from the 12 V power, and this is where I am installing the stereo jack.

Move the whole lot backwards (away from the front) out of the way for now and you can now see the front console bolts. Undo them.

There is a screw at the very RH edge of the picture, just below the front 12V lighter that needs to be unscrewed. On the sides of the front console (passanger and driver footwells) there are two snap clips that need to be removed. I tried undoing on and it broke, so pulling on the whole trim away from each snap clips seems to be the way to go... Now the gear knobs come off and the front console unclips from the dash. The gear trim slides over the gear sticks. Get the front bottom console out of the way. Click to view larger picture
Anyone know what the blue box of tricks is? The three wires are for my driving lights (see 1st picture).

The centre dash unclips from the upper centre dash at about 4 places. The sides should pull clear of the rest of the dash.

CD-ROM audio cables.

One end, the pins will side (pull) out once you have gently pushed the lock-clips down (one is glinting silver still in the plug).

They fit nice and snuggly onto the pins in the rear of the radio. Demonstration only, they have to go into the white plug below.

Use you nails or a micro screwdriver (or paper clip) to pull the locking clips back (the ones you pushed in) and insert them into the connector as shown. They only go in one way and you should feel them lock in, if they don't it's not the end of the world. Note, I've copied the colour assignment from the other articles, black I assume is ground, then red and white are left and right channels. Not gospel, but thats how I read it.

Some in situ soldering. Note the black wire pin is actually the cable shielding.
Click to view larger pictureClick to view larger pictureClick to view larger picture

My chosen stereo jack connector. I got the wires as separate as possible and soldered them still, then individually wrapped each wire and pin with electrical tape, then wrapped it all together. Plug in your audio source and test the connections at this stage. I got nothing at first, I had to push the pins into the white connector a bit more once the white connector was plugged into the radio. Click to view larger picture I'm not sure what caused it, but when I was testing the wiring out, shorting some of these wires together caused my iPhone to go to voice command. I couldn't repeatably do it, so not sure which ones shorted, or if I did it twice quickly or something.

Put your trim back together, and run the cable back underneath the centre console trim. I used a small drill bit and a round file to get the hole just big enough for an interference fit. I used some strong silicone sealant to glue the connector to the back of the switch plate. With the interference fit and the large glob of silicone as backup, it shouldn't move. Will resort to some stronger glue if need be.
So remember to check your connections before you put everything back, try not to make n00b mistakes like solder wires without checking they are routed correctly when it all is going to go back together (unbeleiveably I managed not to).

This project is ideal to wire your UHF in at the same time, I finally tidied mine up...
The UHF is Velcro'ed under the seat with power, aerial & display all running underneath the centre console. The UHF is actually small enough to go in the centre console bin, or mounted to various other points, but the day was late, so it will remain under the seat for now.
He who dies with the most toys, wins
It's not the size of the dog in the fight that matters...
Jitsukablue

Re: My install of ipod jack & centre trim removal

Postby subi_man on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:06 pm

nice writeup jits - that blue box of tricks is the Parrot/bluetooth handfree 8-)
Andrew

Never judge a man by the size of his shed, but by how many toys he has IN that shed
subi_man
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:24 pm

Ah, thanks Subi.
Forgot to mention, anyone want the other half of the CD-ROM cable? I only used one end...
Jitsukablue

Postby tookie on Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:31 pm

nice work rowan, are you a daddy yet?? :D :D
tookie

Postby Jitsukablue on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:05 pm

Nearly... not far off now. 37 weeks, technically full term. Let the countdown commence! :D :D :D :shock: :shock: :shock:
Jitsukablue

Postby tookie on Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:22 pm

good stuff robyns due monday im on stand by to go to hospital all good :D :D
tookie

Postby GLX-R Alex on Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:51 am

Great tip with the CD Rom Cable... Ill be using that trick..
GLX-R Alex

Postby Jitsukablue on Sun Sep 20, 2009 12:43 pm

Pass on my best wish to Robyn, good luck tookster.

Alex, I'm not the first to do that, so I can't take credit for it, except getting some pictures and instructions up.

No one for half a CD-ROM cable? Everyone must already have them.
Jitsukablue

Postby Homer on Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:38 pm

I used the cable you can buy from Mits. Made it easy, but not as cheap.

I never thought of locating the socket in the console....good spot there!!!!

Mine in the dash works fine, but the console is closer to both front and back seats for the cords etc. Good job Jits ;)

Makes it sooo much better on trips to be able to just plug the ipod in and away you go. Your own music for hours on end :D

How did you go with the radio clips? Even with the 4 pins I had to lever and half break mine to get it out :oops:
They are a stupid f*cking idea...could be much less finicky and easier.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Jitsukablue on Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:53 pm

The radio clips are useless, my old radio actually ejected when u pushed the wires in. I had to have the dash unclipped before I cound get them out.
Jitsukablue

Postby Snooozy on Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:02 pm

Thanks for the tips Jitsukablue.
I finally got around to putting my UHF & electric brake controller in (well started anyway)
When I was looking for a hot wire I removed the radio unit & found a 3.5mm phono socket wrapped in foam & taped to the back of the radio. I ran a test from my MP3 player & you beauty it worked. :D
No need to attach any extra wires.
I ran an extension wire under the console & drilled a hole in the pocket just big enough to fit the plug.
Now I can switch to Aux & use the MP Player, leaving it in the console out of sight of prying eyes.
Mines a 09 GLX with the basic poverty pack radio/CD.
Seems us cheapskates get something the dearer models don't ;)
The other thing I found was the small trim clips- you push the center in & the clip comes out easy :) . Only found this after I broke one :(
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Jitsukablue on Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:16 am

Crafty buggers! Wonder how many other newer model MLs have MP3 already working but hidden!
Jitsukablue

Postby liamb on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:49 am

Hi Guys

I am looking at doing the MP3 plug this weekend. I have been playing with the radio a bit this week and cant find AUX. I have an 09 ML GLX-R. Does AUX come up when you plug in the MP3 player?. My stereo is the upgraded version with the tweeters in the pillar.

Cheers

Bill
liamb

Postby Greedy on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:56 am

Earlier models, Aux is found by holding the CD button for a while
I'd rather have a full bottle in front of me than a full frontal labotomy!

It ain't pretty being easy!!
Greedy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bboughton on Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:33 pm

OK so bring an old post back from the dead. I'm going to install 2way in the single DIN slot. Can the lower centre dash be removed without taking off any other bits of the dash? I am assuming ML and MN would be similar. Looks the same to me. Also is there a workshop guide you can buy from supercheap or repco yet for the MN? Save me asking alot of questions on forum. Thanks

edit - (sort of answering my own second question) found this: http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/36144764?s ... BD44773639 . It is the "2010 M/Y MN Triton : workshop and body repair manuals". Its in the National Library though on CD, not accessible on net.
bboughton

Postby Steane on Wed Nov 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Anybody got any tips on how to remove this dashboard centre panel without busting clips, ie which way is best to haul on it? Where are the clips located?

Any advice appreciated...I've broken enough clips, it would be nice to do one job and keep all of the clips in one piece.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:17 pm

Might be able to give you a hand with that steane, think I have had close enough to all of the dash panels out! Which one exactly do u want out?
dan.batto

Postby Steane on Wed Nov 02, 2011 5:42 pm

Good onya Dan!

It's the one that the single din factory radio sits in the middle of (between the centre console and the upper dash with the aircon controls etc.

Does that make sense? There is a pic or two of it off earlier in this thread but I just want to know what to look for, where the clips are, where and which direction to pull it or lever it off.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:01 pm

Fairly easy mate!! If you want I can give you a hand to pull it off. There are some clips just above the radio that hook under the air con control panel. Also 1 or 2 screws that need to be undone. 1 on the drivers aide in the footwell area. I know when I have pulled mine out that there really weren't any clips to break.
Like I said I am happy to help. It's only a 5 minute job. I'm free on the weekend if you need.
Any reason why you are pulling it out? Giving it a bit of a dust out behind there?
dan.batto

Postby Steane on Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:26 pm

Thanks Dan. I'm installing an icom 400 into the old radio slot, and I think I need that trim off to get into it properly. I've got a single din kit with the icom, but can't see how to mount it in the slot without access from the sides.

I'll have a crack at it on Saturday, should be right. If I get stuck I'll give you a yell. Gotta pull all of the centre console out as well (to get the old icom 440 out) but I've done that 100 times so won't take long.

I'll also be taking the opportunity to do some dusting, it can get quite filthy behind the dash if you let it all build up.

Thanks again mate!
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:14 pm

Kyle did a pictorial ages ago when he was putting in his LED globes and all but stripped his dash?

When I installed my icom in that spot I found it was easiest to sort of start at one side and lever my way in. It took a fair bit of force and some plastic trim removal levers. I did manage to break a clip somewhere eventually though :oops: :oops: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Steane on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:19 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Kyle did a pictorial ages ago when he was putting in his LED globes and all but stripped his dash?

When I installed my icom in that spot I found it was easiest to sort of start at one side and lever my way in. It took a fair bit of force and some plastic trim removal levers. I did manage to break a clip somewhere eventually though :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've got the levers...and I'm bound to bust a clip. It's my MO...

How did you fit the icom into that spot CD? I've got the single din kit, but as usual there is absolutely no instructions on how the din kit fits/screws into the din slot. Dunno if this is just something everyone knows how to do but me (which is why it's not in the instructions), or the instructions are just shit.

Probably the former. :roll:
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:34 pm

I decline to answer this question is detail on the basis that it will incriminate me... :oops: :oops:

I didn't have the kit. I butchered the back of the plastic pocket that was in my slot until it was a very neat interference fit with the icom. From memory I was able to whack a screw or two in the side through the plastic. The plastic in turn was screwed to something solid in the sub frame of the dash.

I then may have used something black and sticky to um remove any remaining air gaps....

From the front there is about 1cm of hole either side since the radio wasn't as wide as the pocket thing. I've been meaning to fill the gap with something to make it look neater but after a while you kind of forget it's there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Steane on Wed Nov 02, 2011 7:51 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like something I fitted CD.

I'll end up using some chewy and a couple of rubber bands for sure. I'd be interested in some of that black sticky stuff...sounds like my sort of 'tool'.
Steane
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dan.batto on Wed Nov 02, 2011 8:06 pm

I bet it is steane! I heard all about you ab the drill ;) maybe you could show me that breather install sometime ;) getting a little off topic here I am so I'll pm you.
dan.batto

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks