Spare Key & Battery Replacement

Re: Spare Key

Postby salt36 on Sun Nov 24, 2013 7:42 pm

I don't think you will find out somehow ;)

Lots of little places available for a hidey hole, actually probably hundreds now I think about it :shock:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby lgil86 on Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:37 pm

liking the flip key idea as well, mite have a go at that one!
lgil86
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:38 pm

If you ever 'break' the metal shaft of your 'smart-key' as opposed to actually completely physically losing it, but you still have the black plastiky handle bit with the battery inside it left behind, you can get by with just using an ordinary key blank that you have obviously been 'smart enough' to get cut to the right tumbler profile ie, key-shape, well before this 'mis-fortune' actually happens, and then you just need to stiky-tape the black plastiky handle bit onto it. This works because the small security chip that's uniquely encoded to your own particular vehicle's ECU lives inside the black plastiky bit and no, it does not need to rely upon the 'remote door lock' battery actually being 'a live one' for it to operate. It just needs to be in close proximity to the ignition switch assembly when you want to turn the 'funkey'. :D
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Duck on Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:28 pm

Old fart it doesn't work on mine even if I hold the original key right up hard against the tumbler & use the spare uncoded key, the engine just turns over but will not start :?
Life is what happens while you are busy making plans........
Duck

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:01 pm

Duck wrote:Old fart it doesn't work on mine even if I hold the original key right up hard against the tumbler & use the spare uncoded key, the engine just turns over but will not start :?

Hi Duck, have you actually -sticky taped- the black plastic end off the broken original key, onto the end, of your spare 'ordinary' key...??

If that still fails, then try touching/ holding the broken key's remnant 'metal' shaft so that it is physically making metal to metal contact with the the metal shaft of your replacement key as you turn it to crank the donk.
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:38 pm

AnOldFart wrote:
Duck wrote:Old fart it doesn't work on mine even if I hold the original key right up hard against the tumbler & use the spare uncoded key, the engine just turns over but will not start :?

Hi Duck, have you actually -sticky taped- the black plastic end off the broken original key, onto the end, of your spare 'ordinary' key...??

If that still fails, then try touching/ holding the broken key's remnant 'metal' shaft so that it is physically making metal to metal contact with the the metal shaft of your replacement key as you turn it to crank the donk.

And don't forget, just a little 2T in some jooce, when applied to the key, will help it - slide in and out ....smoother

Ya nearly forgot, but it's ok. I've got ya back. ;)
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby snowman on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:48 pm

c'mon 5th it's 'Dino Jooce' mate. Get it right. :lol: :lol: :lol:

it's alright fart we are just taking the piss. I AM going to try some 2T. ;)
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby biggibbo on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:57 pm

Don't forget a can of MAF cleaner to clean the key first, along side your 2T in the Dino Joose from soupycheap
biggibbo

Postby AnOldFart on Mon Feb 17, 2014 5:04 pm

It's all 'sweet' you bunch of -children from un-wed mothers- (let's see if that one gets past 'salty's [censored] pen :lol: :D :lol: ) I've been on the Planet long enough now to have developed a pretty 'thick old hide' :lol: :D
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Mon Feb 17, 2014 6:29 pm

josh_cod wrote:Thanks for all those great ideas. I am still abit shocked that the electric key is the only way to disable the immobiliser though. What happens when the battery in your key dies? Will you still be able to start the car or are you stuck?

the transponder is passive,
http://www.gorferay.com/active-and-pass ... nsponders/
koshari

Replacing Battery For Key Remote

Postby Lin1952 on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:30 pm

An easy two minute task.

Batteries are available from Chemist Warehouse for $3.50 each - Energizer 1616
Lin1952

Re: Replacing Battery For Key Remote

Postby NowForThe5th on Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:49 pm

That's handy to know, if you need one quickly. There's another post a couple of pages back mentioning 5/$10 on Ebay, for those not in so much of a hurry.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Keyless Remote Battery Type

Postby snowman on Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:36 pm

I have noticed a thread or two about remote key battery replacement in the tritons.

Below is a battery I purchased for my ML remote but I believe it is standard in the MN as well to current model.

I hope that helps someone. :D

remote batt-01.jpg

remote batt-02.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Spare Key & Battery Replacement

Postby borngeek on Sat Apr 18, 2015 4:44 pm

Were you able to remove it from packaging, or you needed help from a adult? Just asking. :P
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:14 am

a 1620 (16mm x 2.0) will fit as well as the 1616 (16mm x 1.6) as they are both 3 volts. just changed mine out this morning as the range had gotten pretty low. the 1620s have slightly more capacity although the difference through age, brand and duty cycle/self discharge prolly has more variability.

Looking at my previous post in this thread i replaced my spare fobs battery 2 years ago and have just swapped out my primary fobs one today. i imagine the duty one had been replaced before i got the car given i had to replace the hardly used almost new looking spare before the Primary one. this would be consistant with about 2.5 years for us fob getting used consistently and about 5 years for a spare.

still have 2 left in the strip as i used another for something else.

If you ever 'break' the metal shaft of your 'smart-key' as opposed to actually completely physically losing it, but you still have the black plastiky handle bit with the battery inside it left behind, you can get by with just using an ordinary key blank that you have obviously been 'smart enough' to get cut to the right tumbler profile ie, key-shape, well before this 'mis-fortune' actually happens, and then you just need to stiky-tape the black plastiky handle bit onto it. This works because the small security chip that's uniquely encoded to your own particular vehicle's ECU lives inside the black plastiky bit and no, it does not need to rely upon the 'remote door lock' battery actually being 'a live one' for it to operate. It just needs to be in close proximity to the ignition switch assembly when you want to turn the 'funkey'. :D

the red circled bit it the passive transponder, its moulded into the key casing.
Click to view larger picture
koshari

Postby flatcountrymick on Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:05 pm

Forgive the ancient thread revival but surely remote key battery replacement is a warranty issue?
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:06 pm

Nope. Batteries, like tyres, brake pads and so on are considered consumables.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby flatcountrymick on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:26 pm

Sorry I should have been clearer. One of mine went within 3 months. The other is going after less then 12 months. I don't think it is good enough when my wife drives more often than me and hers lasted 4 years :?:
Looking at the FORUM DIRECTORY...
flatcountrymick

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:35 am

You might ask for pro-rata on the one that lasted 3 months but, honestly, I don't like your chances. That said, I've never had one die and the last Triton I had for 5 years. Maybe I have been lucky, or you got unlucky, but the batteries themselves don't cost much.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby Joeh on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:56 pm

So key blanks are available with transponder from Ali:

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2013-new ... 1e0c33d894

does anyone know if the following procedure works for Triton (this from pajero forums)

PROGRAMMING KEY REMOTE FOR PAJERO

1. Locate the Data Port under drivers side dashboard usually located to the right of steering column.

2. Insert keys in ignition and leave in the OFF position.

3. Make sure there are metal contact pins in terminals 1 and 4 and connect the Data Port terminals 1 and 4 with a
suitable jumper wire, leave the jumper wire connected throughout the programming procedure. Make sure you
know which terminals are 1 and 4.

4. Within 10 seconds after connecting the jumper wire, press the Hazard Switch 6 times. Note: The doors will
automatically lock and unlock once at this time indicating that the system is in the programming mode.

5. Press the LOCK button on the remote to be registered three times within 10 seconds. Upon successful
programming, the door will lock and unlock once.

6. Repeat step 5 with up to 4 remotes (including any existing remotes) within one minute. After completing each
programming, the doors will lock and unlock once.

7. Disconnect the programming wire and remove the keys from the ignition.
Joeh

Postby Joeh on Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:59 pm

There is also this:

How to program Mitsubishi transponder chip keys 2002-up Mitsu vehicles
I am no way responsible of any damages that may occur during the procedure of programming your transpoder chip keys. You are doing this at your own risk. If you do not feel confident to following the procedure I strongly recommend going to your closest Mitsubishi dealer and have the key(s) programmed there

You can program new keys to the system if you have two valid (already registered) keys by doing the following

1. Insert the first valid key into the ignition and turn the ignition
to the "ON" position for 5 seconds.

2. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the first key.

3. Insert the second valid key and switch the ignition to the "ON"
position within 7 seconds. Theft-alarm indicator will blink twice.
Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position and remove the second
key.

4. Insert a blank (transponder) key, specially cut for your vehicle
into the ignition and switch the ignition to the "ON" position
within 7 seconds.
The theft-alarm indicator will come on for about 3 seconds when
the registration is completed.
If an error occurs, the indicator will blink 3 times.

5. If you want to register additional keys, repeat step 4 within 30
seconds after the theft-alarm indicator flashes in step 3.

Note:
You are provided with 2 keys, but you may add up to 6 more keys.

I have done a very similar procedure with a Falcon in the past, so this does seem credible to me.
Joeh

Postby ag9111 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 8:45 pm

I doubt it.
That looks like instructions for OBD1 systems, pre 96, where you access the ECU by shorting out pins.
The ML onwards, and prob MK, use OBD2 where you do NOT short out pins to access the ECU. All done by computer access now.
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Joeh on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:54 pm

I certainly wasn't loving idea of shorting obd so good to know. second option might be goer though.
Joeh

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:11 pm

I highly doubt it, but it doesn't look likely to do any damage if you try it. i had a look in the workshop manual and there are references to doing it using the mut3 device but when you get to where the instructions should be it refers you to another manual, which i don't have.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Crash486 on Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:59 am

My limited understanding of the process is to first clone your existing key then use a snoop device to capture the challenge response interaction. Get it wrong and you need mits to replace the unit which I believe is several thousand dollars.
Crash486

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks