Washer bottle alternative

Postby jop on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Hi all,

Those with bullbars wanting to remove the 'wings' mounted under the bar to cover up the washer bottle now have a few options.

Ag9111 and ratstriton have both cut and plastic welded the stock bottle to fit up in the original space - they can cut and paste their links or posts if they want to ad to this.

I found a NL pajero washer bottle at the wreckers ($15) - it locates inside the passenger guard so it helps if someone has already removed the guard ;)

I basically mounted it inside my ironman bar, using the ml pump, wiring and spray hose. You will need to replace the black bent hose in the pic with a longer hose.

I use the ml filler in the original postion (it pulls off the stock bottle) and attached the new hose between the pajero tank and ml filler. This gives you a fair bit more volume than the bottle itself

Click to view larger picture
The pajero bottle with the original ml filler - the black hose will need replacing with a longer unit
The two pumps are similar, but the plugs are different - i fitted the ml pump to the pajero tank

I will cut up some stainless plates tomorrow to cover the bottom of the bar.
jop

Re: Washer bottle alternative

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:25 pm

Schmick Jop ;)
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:33 pm

jop wrote:I will cut up some stainless plates tomorrow to cover the bottom of the bar.

x2 ?? 8-)
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby al coholic on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:47 pm

Another option is to grab a new washer bottle from TJM, but this would only suit those WITHOUT a dual battery setup under the bonnet. The TJM bars dont have the wings like the ARB ones, so what they do is replace the factory washer bottle with a complete new setup that sits basically between the back of the passenger side headlight and the front of the battery tray, it is in the same position as the factory filler tube basically.

I'm not sure how much they are from TJM, the other options may work out far cheaper, but thought i would mention it for anyone interested. Will try to get some photos over the next couple of days.
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby ratstriton on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:49 pm

Nice job mate looks good.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby jop on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:56 pm

al coholic wrote:Another option is to grab a new washer bottle from TJM, but this would only suit those WITHOUT a dual battery setup under the bonnet. The TJM bars dont have the wings like the ARB ones, so what they do is replace the factory washer bottle with a complete new setup that sits basically between the back of the passenger side headlight and the front of the battery tray, it is in the same position as the factory filler tube basically.

I'm not sure how much they are from TJM, the other options may work out far cheaper, but thought i would mention it for anyone interested. Will try to get some photos over the next couple of days.

We had a look at this option a while ago and either tjm wouldn't sell them or they were :shock: expensive.
Worth a try again thanks alco.

I have been meaning to do this for a while (18 months) and RT's post got me moving, i have been without a washerbottle for a month or so - thinking that would make me do something about it :oops:
jop

Postby jop on Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:59 pm

Another option - there is a flexible bag available with a pump attached.

Trytin - i think - had a link for them

Ebay has a heap of options as well - i like the stealth look though 8-)
jop

Postby 4wd26 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:00 pm

al coholic wrote:Another option is to grab a new washer bottle from TJM, but this would only suit those WITHOUT a dual battery setup under the bonnet. The TJM bars dont have the wings like the ARB ones, so what they do is replace the factory washer bottle with a complete new setup that sits basically between the back of the passenger side headlight and the front of the battery tray, it is in the same position as the factory filler tube basically.

Yep went down that way at least 1 year ago- problem was (in my opinion) was the size of the bottle from memory about 1.5 lts.

Another problem was the were not real keen selling separately sweet talked and it was about $150
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby al coholic on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Yeah Guys, i had a feeling that would be the case. :x

Jop, Are you going to make stainless gaurds from the bar back to where the plastic lining for the wheel arch has been cut off, i need to do something similar to mine, so wouldnt mind seeing some pics. :D ;)
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby jop on Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Alco - the last photo shows it pretty well - probably just to the body mount bracket across to the edge of the bar
jop

Postby daryn on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:15 pm

Jop, another great write up, just like Rats.

Question, what did you fix your bottle to so it stayed secure, mount points ???

You have showed the pic which I was wondering about what to do, hmmm, stainless plates, hmmmmm.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby ag9111 on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:36 pm

Just uses the original mounting points
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby touchit on Wed May 19, 2010 10:25 pm

Thanks for a great solution to a common problem,now I can order another wheel arch guard as its been ripped off by mutiple kangaroo intrusions, leaving a very scared washer bottle.(iron man bar fitted,4wd mob said ,yeah thats normal for those flaps to hang down ,YEAH RIGHT )
jop wrote:Hi all,

Those with bullbars wanting to remove the 'wings' mounted under the bar to cover up the washer bottle now have a few options.

Ag9111 and ratstriton have both cut and plastic welded the stock bottle to fit up in the original space - they can cut and paste their links or posts if they want to ad to this.

I found a NL pajero washer bottle at the wreckers ($15) - it locates inside the passenger guard so it helps if someone has already removed the guard ;)

I basically mounted it inside my ironman bar, using the ml pump, wiring and spray hose. You will need to replace the black bent hose in the pic with a longer hose.

I use the ml filler in the original postion (it pulls off the stock bottle) and attached the new hose between the pajero tank and ml filler. This gives you a fair bit more volume than the bottle itself

The pajero bottle with the original ml filler - the black hose will need replacing with a longer unit
The two pumps are similar, but the plugs are different - i fitted the ml pump to the pajero tank

I will cut up some stainless plates tomorrow to cover the bottom of the bar.
touchit

Postby SkIp on Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:34 pm

jop,

Im currently in the process of doing this, I have removed the washer bottle and made up S/S plates to cover the cavity.

One question, how is the pump removed from the original bottle? It looks like it pulls out but I dont want to brake it!

Cheers
SkIp

Postby ratstriton on Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:08 pm

It's just a push in fitting pulling it out wont be a problem.
Have a look at my build up thread.
viewtopic.php?f=51&t=4293
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby SkIp on Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:22 pm

Thanks for that mate! did you just drill a new hole (neat fit) for the pump?

Cheers
SkIp

Postby ratstriton on Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:44 pm

Yes mate just drilled the same size hole as the original.
ratstriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:31 am

Did some work on the weekend. Replaced the washer bottle with a PVC pipe alternative. Works a treat.

Pictures in build thread.

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=8715
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mattz on Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:19 pm

Tim007 wrote:got to fitting my modified washer bottle. I am very happy with how it turned out after cutting off the bottom and welding it up. This is all part of getting rid of those damn wings on the arb bar.

I cut the new hole for the pump (19mm hold saw is perfect) and fitted up the pump.

mounted it all up and it works just fine. I am a bit worried that the motor protrudes out just a little more then I would like and wont allow me to fit the plastic inner guard back on properly.

so tomorrow I will weld up the hole and fit the motor to the back of the bottle where it will be out of the way and protected by the new covers I am making to fill in the wing ends and protect the lights and so worth mainly by being hammered by mud and water. I just thought others might be interested who are thinking of doing the same thing.

Also drilled two new holes into the bash plate either side of the middle factory located bolt as it sheared off. Much stronger now then before.

Nice work Tim. ;)
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby mgc_020 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:59 pm

Would the washer motor fit on the bulbar side of the bottle? I am looking at doing this to mine. Thanks

mattz wrote:
Tim007 wrote:got to fitting my modified washer bottle. I am very happy with how it turned out after cutting off the bottom and welding it up. This is all part of getting rid of those damn wings on the arb bar.

I cut the new hole for the pump (19mm hold saw is perfect) and fitted up the pump.

mounted it all up and it works just fine. I am a bit worried that the motor protrudes out just a little more then I would like and wont allow me to fit the plastic inner guard back on properly.

so tomorrow I will weld up the hole and fit the motor to the back of the bottle where it will be out of the way and protected by the new covers I am making to fill in the wing ends and protect the lights and so worth mainly by being hammered by mud and water. I just thought others might be interested who are thinking of doing the same thing.

Also drilled two new holes into the bash plate either side of the middle factory located bolt as it sheared off. Much stronger now then before.

Nice work Tim. ;)
mgc_020

Postby Tim007 on Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:55 pm

mgc_020 wrote:Would the washer motor fit on the bulbar side of the bottle? I am looking at doing this to mine. Thanks

mattz wrote:

Nice work Tim. ;)

Yeah mate I ended up mounting it on the other side at the bottom of the bottle. I am pretty sure I posted some pics of it done.
Keen to get amongst it!!
Tim007

Postby mgc_020 on Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:19 am

If you have any pics are you able to email them to me mgc020@yahoo.com.au. Thanks
mgc_020

Postby VALERIO on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:12 am

I bought a washer bottle kit, with a crappy pump so reuse the original mitsu pump in the new bottle, attached the bottle to the battery cover.Click to view larger picture.Click to view larger picture
The bottle bracket is a easy put in/out bottle design.Click to view larger picture.
It's 2 lt volume aprox
VALERIO

Return to Tips & Tricks