Inaccurate Speedo Reading Fix

Re: Inaccurate Speedo Reading Fix

Postby Homer on Tue Jul 13, 2010 2:01 pm

I rarely look at the speedo...I spend most of my time scanning the parked cars for cameras..
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Try-it-on on Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:19 pm

What models does this apply to.
Do the new MN's also have dodgy speedos?
If so, the list of things needed to be done to my - here soon I hope - vehicle is becoming quite substantial.
and this is just to fix perceived issues or inadequacies that affect the day to day use of the vehicle, not just the mods most 4wders have on a wish list for their vehicle.

So far the list includes:
Seat spacers,
Catch can,
EGR Plate,
Chip to fix the limp modes the EGR plate causes,
MMCS "vehicle-in-motion" sensor,
MMCS iPod cable,
Front brake upgrade,
Suspension upgrade,
Speedo correction,
Reverse light upgrade,
Reverse camera.

I really didn't allow a big enough budget to buy this vehicle, I should have allowed a few million extra to pay a sparky and a mechanic to do all these electrical jobs - because there is no way I'm going to start cutting into wires anywhere on the vehicle.
Oh well, it's always fun upgrading your vehicle, I just get to do it straight away.
I love Terra Firma - the less firmer the more terror.
Try-it-on

Inaccurate Speedo Reading Fix

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jul 13, 2010 7:59 pm

Yeah the MN is a little out of whack too. My scanguage matched the gps speed out of the box. I had worked out the speed difference as a percentage but have managed to forget it again now. It's hardly noticeable at 50kmh but out quite a bit up around 120. From memory 120kmh on the speedo is about 112kmh according to the GPS. Also from memory but feeling vague about it I think it was something like 6-8%? Apparently there are tyre sizes that will bring you closer to true speed readings but I'll leave that to smarter people than I to tell you about.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby johno on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:08 pm

Try-it-on wrote:What models does this apply to. Do the new MN's also have dodgy speedos?

As i said i did this to mine because of my tires (see my shed)Click to view larger picture
Most vehicles have a bit of a difference in the speedo and the actual road speed.
Best way to check it is with a GPS......if you haven't got one of these on your list you might want to add it... :lol:
Cheers Johno
"Ham and eggs... A day's work for the chicken, a lifetime commitment for the pig."
johno

Postby Snooozy on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:19 pm

No prob Johno,

Glad to be able to help.

After getting so much info from this site, it's nice to put something back. :D
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:24 pm

Agree with the cutting wires caution on these new vehicles.
Best to fit a new additional fuse box fed from the battery via fusible link and run everthing "around the outside" of the car's wiring.

eg. Run your Headlights, Driving Lights, etc direct via heavy cabling and use the standard loom to just switch the extra relays. That way you not modifying the manufacturers stuff and avoiding accidental contact with ECU, Airbag, etc.....stuff.

Its amazing that after 32yrs that from my old Morry to the current Triton, there is always something that can be improved!
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:25 pm

Hey Tri It On

Just don't let the minister of war & finance know what it takes to bring your rig up to scratch,

I'm always copping it,

"you spent all that money on a new car & then you have to spend more to fix it" :shock:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:18 am

Try-it-on wrote:What models does this apply to.
Do the new MN's also have dodgy speedos?
If so, the list of things needed to be done to my - here soon I hope - vehicle is becoming quite substantial.
and this is just to fix perceived issues or inadequacies that affect the day to day use of the vehicle, not just the mods most 4wders have on a wish list for their vehicle.

So far the list includes:
Seat spacers,
Catch can,
EGR Plate,
Chip to fix the limp modes the EGR plate causes,
MMCS "vehicle-in-motion" sensor,
MMCS iPod cable,
Front brake upgrade,
Suspension upgrade,
Speedo correction,
Reverse light upgrade,
Reverse camera.

I really didn't allow a big enough budget to buy this vehicle, I should have allowed a few million extra to pay a sparky and a mechanic to do all these electrical jobs - because there is no way I'm going to start cutting into wires anywhere on the vehicle.
Oh well, it's always fun upgrading your vehicle, I just get to do it straight away.

Chill back a bit I think you are winding yourself up. Seriously of almost any car you could buy in this price range and type you will have some of the above issues. If not those items then they would have others.

I have found that this site, although extremely beneficial, creates extremely detailed views and posting on almost every detail of the car. I drove a rental Magna a few years back and albeit with worn tyres it was almost 8klms out on the speedo.
There would be plenty of people on here who are not active posters who do not have many, if any, of the items you have listed done. Some of the more active members are just a little more dedicated to ‘tuning’ our vehicles. Yes it does make a difference but you don’t have to do them all straight away!
This isn’t the thread to advise what you should or shouldn’t do, but of that list you could quite easily not do anything and still enjoy the vehicle safely (ok maybe get the shocks done :? ). Any other competitor vehicle could benefit from some of these items and some of them are probably not required at all.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Try-it-on on Wed Jul 14, 2010 7:13 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:From memory 120kmh on the speedo is about 112kmh according to the GPS.

That's the same amount exactly, as both my last two vehicles. I never worried about it, and used to set the cruise control to 120. If it overestimates the speed then I'm quite happy to ignore it. Especially as I have the MMCS GPS to go by, and I also have my Garmin Oregon 300 to use as well, in fact on all long trips, we've always called up the "Dashboard" on the Oregon, and used that anyway.
Ok, scratch one speed correcter from my list, I'll be ok with it out that much, I'm very used to that amount of error.
Try-it-on

Postby snowman on Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:43 am

mate i have a scanguage that, apart from other very hand uses, allows me to set the speed readout to within a klm of the GPS. i do this because in Sydney all our tunnels have cameras and i just want to know i can get every available and legal klm out of my trip. it is a problem i have.

The other advantage is i run two sets of tyre diameter and you can adjust to suit - so you don't have to remember two readings.

i am not sure how much the 'fix' is at the beginning of the thread but a scanguage is about as easy plug and play that you can get. That said if you use a GPS to get a mindset of you 'actual' klms versus the speedo (needle) then that is probably close enough if you are not pushing the limits.

without going off topic too far i would certainly cross the 'brake upgrade' off your list unless you consistently push your car VERY hard or tow heavy loads often. i am no slouch on the brakes and have no real issues but you cannot consistently brake hard into every second corner, it is just not that type of car.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Try-it-on on Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:26 pm

I drive my vehicle hard, but nowhere near hard enough to need to do that.
I guess I'm used to the Patrol that was an Auto from the 1980's so had really poor engine braking, and they had poor brakes as well, so I upgraded to slotted rotors for those long off-road descents.
I'll be surprised if a 2010 model vehicle has anywhere near those issues, but a brake upgrade isn't a bad thing at any time, because I actually rather like stopping when I need to ;)

I guess when the rotors need to be replaced, I'll consider the upgrade then.
Try-it-on

Postby Jewel on Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Hi All,

I attempted the speedo corrector but still can't get the thing to operate. I'm into electronics, yet it still has me baffled.
I took Snoozy's directions, built the unit and found all of the wires (Thank's Snoozy)
The setup proceedure didn't work so I have tried the following:

Tested for 12V and suitable ground
Tried various combinations of signal in/out
Tested the LED - it works
Bench tested according to schematic for voltages on the board
Tripple checked and resoldered all joints/components
Put LED tester on speedo wire and got a flashing signal

I'm at a loss. if anybody can help with something I may have overlooked, that woud be great.

Cheers, Jeff
Turn it up to 11
Jewel

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:13 pm

it's been a long time since I fitted mine but I will look for the old instructions & see if I can think of anything :geek:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 pm

Hey jewel make sure you put 3 O's in Snooozy
If you don't he gets GRUUUMPY :lol: :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:58 pm

Mooons wrote:Hey jewel make sure you put 3 O's in Snooozy
If you don't he gets GRUUUMPY :lol: :lol:

so does moons :roll: :lol: ....to be honest, I think he copied me with the extra O

he just looks up to me & wants to be the same.....you young whipper snapper ;) :lol: :lol:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Mooons on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:12 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: hope the fish bite this well at beach port / Robe :lol:
When you point your finger cos your plan fell through
Theres three more fingers pointing back at you
Mooons
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Snooozy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:41 pm

;) :lol: :lol: :lol:
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Blue on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:09 pm

Nice write up, tyres did it for me too - now100 on speedo = 99 on gps...
Vegetarian - Ancient tribal slang for the village idiot that can't hunt or fish.
Blue
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Coasterkid on Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:44 pm

Jewel wrote:Hi All,

I attempted the speedo corrector but still can't get the thing to operate. I'm into electronics, yet it still has me baffled.
I took Snoozy's directions, built the unit and found all of the wires (Thank's Snoozy)
The setup proceedure didn't work so I have tried the following:

Tested for 12V and suitable ground
Tried various combinations of signal in/out
Tested the LED - it works
Bench tested according to schematic for voltages on the board
Tripple checked and resoldered all joints/components
Put LED tester on speedo wire and got a flashing signal

I'm at a loss. if anybody can help with something I may have overlooked, that woud be great.

Cheers, Jeff

Hey all

I've got the same issue. I've checked all the wiring and it's correct and I have the speedo signal wire ... spliced in in series with the controller / speedo corrector

I've also exchanged the first unit to see if it was faulty.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Coasterkid

Postby Hornet75 on Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:17 pm

An old post, though wondering if anyone has connected one of these up with success lately?
I've just spent the last 2 and a half hours trying to get mine to work with no success. Tried every combination of the links, and even switched the input /output wires around as instructions are different to the control box, and still nothing. I'm not a dummy with electronics but this has stumped me.
Any help much appreciated.
Vehicle is 2010 MN GLX Single cab.
Cheers
Bill
Hornet75

Postby Snooozy on Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:04 pm

Hornet75 wrote:An old post, though wondering if anyone has connected one of these up with success lately?
I've just spent the last 2 and a half hours trying to get mine to work with no success. Tried every combination of the links, and even switched the input /output wires around as instructions are different to the control box, and still nothing. I'm not a dummy with electronics but this has stumped me.
Any help much appreciated.
Vehicle is 2010 MN GLX Single cab.
Cheers
Bill

was the wiring colour coding the same as the original setup?
my only thought is that the wiring changed in the later model.

There is an LED on the circuit board that indicates pulses from the sender unit. put the vehicle on stands & run it at low speed to see if it is getting a pulse signal.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 09, 2015 4:03 pm

Double check any diode polarities, resistor values and hair line solder bridges.

The output of the corrector has to reproduce a similar pulse to the gearbox sensor.

If you connect a multimeter across he output, do you get any action when you manually pulse the input?

I had to laugh when I saw the 'huge' pulse generator that screws into the gearbox, job could have been done with a toothed ring and pickup similar to the abs sensors.

Has anyone ever checked whether other is any adjustment available in the instruments or via mutt?
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Hornet75 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:41 pm

The wiring colour on the MN is the same as the ML and have done exactly the same as the first post.
No LED flashing on unit so it doesn't want to calibrate. Have power going to unit and a good earth, and wiring to the speedo is good as when I join the input and output wires back to each other (not connected to module now) the speedo works again. Have tried switching the input/output wires around as well, still nothing.
Will give it another shot this weekend.
The speed doesn't faze me, as I've calibrated my Ultragauge to now read right. Just wanted to get the odometer to be closer as the bigger tyres now read shorter distance. Good for resale as km's will be lower :-)
Hornet75

Postby Hornet75 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:44 pm

RHKTriton wrote:Double check any diode polarities, resistor values and hair line solder bridges.

The output of the corrector has to reproduce a similar pulse to the gearbox sensor.

If you connect a multimeter across he output, do you get any action when you manually pulse the input?

I had to laugh when I saw the 'huge' pulse generator that screws into the gearbox, job could have been done with a toothed ring and pickup similar to the abs sensors.

Has anyone ever checked whether other is any adjustment available in the instruments or via mutt?

I don't know how to check the diodes polarity and what not.
Unit can fully assembled and installed exactly as per instructions. Just didn't know if I have done something wrong.
Maybe because I didn't get the airbag light to come on bahaha
Hornet75

Postby RHKTriton on Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:34 pm

I assume this is the Silicon Chip kit that Jaycar sell? Will try and find a circuit and then might get a better idea whats not cooking.
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks