Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby koshari on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:01 pm

hvac guy wrote:Fyi i had a new maf sensor fitted the other week and i had to adjust the value to stop the egr from working. i did not have it fitted when it went to the dealer

what happened to the maf, did the heating element fail?
koshari

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Maybe it's time to summarise.

Excluding the mechanical solutions, which have shortcomings because they result in CELs when a situation develops that the ECU wasn't expecting, there are 4 electronic solutions.

The simplest is koshari's which a just a 6K8 resistor. If you're good on the tools then this may be a solution but the problem is that while it does work, it's overkill. The value is way too high and the ECU is constantly under the impression that it is in Siberia. If you're in a colder area this could (repeat could) have some implications for you.

The second choice is the earlier version of the SPV mod (aka Tony's mod). Requires either soldering in or installation of bullet plugs. Can be bypassed and is pre-set to the correct value for the vehicle for which it was originally sold. Different engines and different vehicles can have quite different value requirements. L200Shogun linked a second hand one, up there ^^^^. Probably good value and easy to fit.

The third alternative is the current product from SPV, available direct or through a forum sponsor, 4WD Supplies, also linked above. More expensive but literally plugs in. Perfect for those who don't feel confident cutting wires or who want to be able to remove completely for servicing. 30 second installation, including opening and closing the bonnet.

In addition to the above is the Old Fart solution. Consisting of multiple resistors it is elegant in the sense that it feeds the ECU variable information. I have no doubt that it would work, and work quite well, but I'm not aware of anyone who's actually built and installed one.

I have the second one, above. Hard wired, well protected and able to be bypassed with a hidden switch. Works for me (3.2 Pajero).
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby rohan1993 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:09 pm

Do you have a link to said thread??
rohan1993

Postby rohan1993 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:15 pm

I'm now looking into bypassing the maf all together with a single resistor
Any insight welcome
rohan1993

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:20 pm

Yeah i was getting overvoltage faults now and then
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby hvac guy on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Dam u tapa talk
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Tony on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:21 pm

Problem is the ML and MN are very different and yes the 6K8 thing is way off on all of them unless in most cases you enjoy dieseling and run on etc.
Why? Because it fools with the pre injection cycles and alters timing on denso systems if your not carefull. What does pre injection, post injection and timing mainly do under these conditions? Controls injection knock and helps further lower emissions.
Most initially will notice significantly lower fuel pressure which is proof of this.

Running in series is a relatively fool proof method, but has compromises especially with latter models. Bypassing the MAf altogether has other very small compromises, but perhaps the better way on some Denso systems.

Our kits (SPV Industries) started out as a service with full support and have evolved into a fully integrated plug and play system with full replacement warranty and product support.

Regards,
Tony
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:23 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:The simplest is koshari's which a just a 6K8 resistor. If you're good on the tools then this may be a solution but the problem is that while it does work, it's overkill. The value is way too high and the ECU is constantly under the impression that it is in Siberia. If you're in a colder area this could (repeat could) have some implications for you.

Overkill ppppfff, from your avatar surely your aware if one beer is good surely 24 is better???

nice summary all the same.

seriously though i haven't seen one instance where anybody has documented any adversity from going high with the value with regards to the earlier 3.2l 4m40.

as far as the rest go i really couldn't care as my next engine will likely be a 3.2 L Duratorq I5.
koshari

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:38 pm

This one?
http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=18&t=15856

or this one on the Pajero forum
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39879

@koshari: Tony has made a number of mentions of the possible side effects of going too high. As he and others have said here, and was arrived at over on the Paj forum, it is much higher than necessary. As I said, more applicable in colder regions. My avatar has more to do with my move to Linux than drinking beer. That said I don't condone or recommend excess consumption through it. Time for a change though. ;)

I understand that Tony is working on a solution for the 3.2 Duratorq engine too. :D
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:51 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:.snip...
or this one on the Pajero forum
http://www2.pajeroclub.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=39879

...snip...

Now 40 pages but I found this a very useful thread combined with the info on here.
Last edited by L200Shogun on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Mar 31, 2015 9:18 pm

Agreed, but you could have skipped the first 8 or 9 pages. Made a few forays in wrong directions....
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby c-dale on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:04 am

Has anyone had any error codes thrown with the SVP (Tony's mod)? I've had the P0106 code pop up 5 times now and the mechanic is pointing to the piggy back on the sensor. So far it seems like this mod has been pretty bulletproof for everyone so just after some thoughts. Could it cause it and if not, why not? (3.2lt ML just shy of 200 000km with the sensor replaced at just over 100 000)

Thanks
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby c-dale on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:19 am

No, cars at the mechanics. Have cleared the code a few times using torque but to be honest I dont fully understand the code.

Have I contacted Tony, no. He's a busy fella and it seems to be a very general error that many have had well before any tinkering with the MAF occured. Was hoping on some general info from here and that with the info from the mechanic would help me weigh up some choices
c-dale
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Naff on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:43 am

I cant remember if I get 0103 or p0106 from time to time.. but it's almost always after driving on a very hot day.
Naff
Platinum Subscriber

Postby rohan1993 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 1:12 pm

Fear not... I've just done a mod with a variable resistor, I have from 0-10k to play with
So what am I looking for on the obd2?
rohan1993

Postby L200Shogun on Wed Apr 01, 2015 2:01 pm

A dongle for your phone and a free AP. I got Torque Pro off a torrent site.
L200Shogun

Postby rohan1993 on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:28 pm

L200Shogun wrote:A dongle for your phone and a free AP. I got Torque Pro off a torrent site.

I've got the app from previous expeditions with vehicles hahaha
What am I looking for on the app was what I should've said haha
Cheers
rohan1993

Postby koshari on Wed Apr 01, 2015 5:48 pm

Naff wrote:I cant remember if I get 0103 or p0106 from time to time.. but it's almost always after driving on a very hot day.

i had to replace my MAP sensor about 3 years ago as it was spiking in very hot weather giving codes.

still got the old one with the intermittent heat issue and after replacing it i have never thrown a code.

they were about $140 to replace at the time however i was still in the lease period so it was before tax back then.
edit: actually it was over $200!
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=12667

or $50 from china
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2007-MIT ... 11219.html
Last edited by koshari on Wed Apr 01, 2015 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
koshari

Postby koshari on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:24 pm

rohan1993 wrote:Fear not... I've just done a mod with a variable resistor, I have from 0-10k to play with
So what am I looking for on the obd2?

you want to monitor if the egr valve opens,
koshari

Postby biggibbo on Wed Apr 01, 2015 6:59 pm

c-dale wrote:No, cars at the mechanics. Have cleared the code a few times using torque but to be honest I dont fully understand the code.

Have I contacted Tony, no. He's a busy fella and it seems to be a very general error that many have had well before any tinkering with the MAF occured. Was hoping on some general info from here and that with the info from the mechanic would help me weigh up some choices

I was getting p0103 and it was a dodgy MAF sensor. Picked up one from a wreck and all good. Was getting p0106 when it was new, and was a buggered MAP sensor.
biggibbo

Postby snowman on Wed Apr 01, 2015 10:25 pm

i had some codes that seemed to relate to the chip but persisted after i removed it - pretty sure they were similiar codes :? :? . MAP sensor was faulty - replaced under warranty (MN about 18 months old) and no problems since. Chip or not.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby boatpc on Thu Apr 02, 2015 8:55 pm

Had this code(i think from memory?)with my 3.2 after being on with no problems.Was random at first and cleared via torque but then it became persistant with a limpy thrown in. Originally thought it was when i crimped the connectors that they'd come loose. Ended up being the pins on the maf needed a tweak after i'd cleaned it so many times.
boatpc

Postby Holstein on Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:47 pm

Engine light came on today and car went into limp mode :cry: lucky I was only 2 mins away from my mechanic
He clears the code for me and we booked the car in to get the manifold cleaned and also bit the bullet and bought one of these http://www.4wdsupplies.com.au/ml-triton ... -resistor/ so let's hope this helps
Holstein

Postby mtim87 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:08 pm

whats the link to buy tonys egr resistor mod??
mtim87

Postby FredSmith on Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:37 pm

mtim87 wrote:whats the link to buy tonys egr resistor mod??

Read and use the link in the post above yours. :? ;)
you did not say if you had a ml or MN. But the site, if they are different, will have both.
FredSmith
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks