Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby bergs149 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:55 pm

The plate was installed on Sunday - So basially 2 days. Probably 150-200 km's done since then. Which leads me to believe it is something to do with that. But as I said before, I am a novice when it comes to this sort of stuff haha. Is it possible that there is an air leak where the plate was installed?

As for the turbo leak, I'll definitely give this a try. Hopefully this works.

I tried to film a video of the sound. It was me going up a hill from basically a stand start. The whistling is faint, but can be heard at about the 5 second mark. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9WPsxykAKLE

Thanks a lot for the reply + tips. Very much appreciated.
bergs149

Postby coughy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:00 pm

yer that sounds like a leak i would go straight to the plat install check the area and see if you can see any signs of block soot around the area u fitted the plate im guessing you will see some sort of tell tale that will be there of a leak if not start car and run hand around that area and feel for air escaping there do it cold first up so u dont get burnt hands

then still no joy i would be checking the rubber hoses as i stated earlier

where are you situated?? as in town??
Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby bergs149 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:30 pm

I will try that and see how it goes! I am in Hobart, tas.
bergs149

Postby Painkiller on Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:40 pm

4M41 engine, got a 'P2413' error couple of days ago, says EGR is open.... Seems to be running just fine. I don't believe the EGR is blanked but have ordered a plate. Three questions-
1. Is it ok to drive with this error- supposed to be towing a boat some distance shortly?
2. If I blank the EGR can I ignore the error assuming it comes back?
3. Is it best to blank it at the manifold or is on top of the cooler ok? I gather it was hard to undo the manifold bolt in 2009- can only be worse in 2015....
Thanks for any help. I have been trawling through the forums for hours.
'Don't just stand there watching, ask if you can help'
So much to learn, so little time...
Painkiller

Postby Rain on Sun Dec 13, 2015 5:21 pm

Hi guys, has anyone done this to their MQ yet. I have picked up a brand new MQ 2.4 diesel a couple of days ago, just wondering if anyone has tried the blocking method on the new model yet. I have gone through all the threads on issues with the EGR on previous models and some of the pics are very scary. I do around 6000kms a month, so I'd take the intake pipe off from the manifold after about 30000kms and inspect with the a small inspection camera. Hope Mitsu did some improvements after seeing all the issues.

I am yet to take the engine cover off to see how all the pipes are connected together..I'll definitely take some pics when I do..

Cheers..
Rain

Postby Robbo42 on Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:40 pm

Has anyone put a oil damper on there triton
Robbo42

Postby coughy on Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:48 pm

Robbo42 wrote:Has anyone put a oil damper on there triton

for what and where???
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:04 pm

I wonder if he might be describing a catch can? If not I have NFI - as usual. :oops: :lol:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby coughy on Tue Jan 26, 2016 5:25 pm

lol yer me either
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby koshari on Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:16 am

oldfart uses one for regulating the supply pressure of his 2 stroke oil delivery system :-)
koshari

Postby nads triton on Fri May 20, 2016 9:35 pm

Hey guys I have a ml diesel does anyone have a pic of we're they have put the blanking plate
nads triton

Postby L200Shogun on Fri May 20, 2016 9:50 pm

The bin is a very good place.
"ml blanking plate" First hit on Google finds

http://chiptuning.com.au/mitsubishi_crd ... ll_manual/

http://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/egr_module/
Last edited by L200Shogun on Fri May 20, 2016 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
L200Shogun

Postby Snooozy on Fri May 20, 2016 10:39 pm

I removed the blank a couple of years ago, damn thing was always throwing CEL/limp

never had a problem since I fitted the electronic mod from Tony.
Snooozy
Platinum Subscriber

Postby mad992 on Sat May 21, 2016 7:04 am

Ive got 4 oil dampers on my Triton works great smooths out the bumps and handles really well ;)
mad992

Postby BillMcQuade on Sat May 21, 2016 8:13 am

My wife puts a damper on everything, but so far, the Triton is safe.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby borngeek on Sat May 21, 2016 10:16 am

BillMcQuade wrote:

My wife puts a damper on everything, but so far, the Triton is safe.

:lol: :lol:
Don't be a tool, use this: FORUM DIRECTORY

Did you search first?

FL/LSD FTW

Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :lol:
borngeek
Platinum Subscriber

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Fri May 27, 2016 4:56 pm

Just made up a blank and installed it this afternoon. Went for a quick 5 minute drive around town. So far no CEL and the turbo does seem to spool up quicker. Not so sluggish off the mark but tomorrow will tell after I hit the faster roads whether it is going to cause any issues. MN 2011 Triton 2.5 TD, automatic [Yeah it's gonna be slow off the mark with an auto but my crook back is no good for pushing a clutch in and out].
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby wildturkeycanoe on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:27 am

Ok, it has been almost 2 weeks since blanking the EGR valve with a plate. So far, no concerns.
Power at take off seems to be better, I mean it doesn't feel like it takes as long for the engine to pick up and get moving from a dead stop, though the auto transmission doesn't help with that much. Torque feels much better as it now sits happily in 5th gear where it normally skipped back and forth from 4th, whilst at times you can almost take your foot off the pedal on flat roads and she just idles along. There is a definite deep down "grunt" kind of noise at low revs when under a bit of load whilst at cruising it is almost silent.
So far, economy around town [60-80km/h and lots of traffic lights] is about 13L/100km. That is with 150,000km on the odometer, the auto transmission, 225 wide tyres, no air con being used, mainly cold wet weather, a canopy and a bit of gear in the back so not fully unloaded. When cruising on flat 80km/h road, the instantaneous economy is well below 10L/100km but as soon as you hit the traffic lights it gets blown out of the water. Can't wait to try it out on open roads this weekend. I am quite happy that no CEL has popped up either. I slid the plate [DIY from a piece of flat roof flashing tin] in the bottom end of the pipe because the top bolts were so tight I couldn't break them open [thanks to two bad elbows]. It was a cheap and easy job and I am happy with the results. Might try tricking up the turbo next if I get motivated.
2019 MR GLX+ manual. Stock for now...the future is always evolving.
wildturkeycanoe

Postby BillMcQuade on Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:15 am

wildturkeycanoe wrote:Ok, it has been almost 2 weeks since blanking the EGR valve with a plate. So far, no concerns.
Power at take off seems to be better, I mean it doesn't feel like it takes as long for the engine to pick up and get moving from a dead stop, though the auto transmission doesn't help with that much. Torque feels much better as it now sits happily in 5th gear where it normally skipped back and forth from 4th, whilst at times you can almost take your foot off the pedal on flat roads and she just idles along. There is a definite deep down "grunt" kind of noise at low revs when under a bit of load whilst at cruising it is almost silent.
So far, economy around town [60-80km/h and lots of traffic lights] is about 13L/100km. That is with 150,000km on the odometer, the auto transmission, 225 wide tyres, no air con being used, mainly cold wet weather, a canopy and a bit of gear in the back so not fully unloaded. When cruising on flat 80km/h road, the instantaneous economy is well below 10L/100km but as soon as you hit the traffic lights it gets blown out of the water. Can't wait to try it out on open roads this weekend. I am quite happy that no CEL has popped up either. I slid the plate [DIY from a piece of flat roof flashing tin] in the bottom end of the pipe because the top bolts were so tight I couldn't break them open [thanks to two bad elbows]. It was a cheap and easy job and I am happy with the results. Might try tricking up the turbo next if I get motivated.

Not to put a damper on your work, but the tin flashing will end up burning through reasonably quickly. The plates are usually made of stainless. For what it's worth, consider the blank a temporary fix, and close the EGR electronically.
You can read through this thread for the DIY solution, or purchase a "plug-and-play" module.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby PixelPaul on Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:36 pm

hi all,
reading throught the thread trying to find the best solution to my EGR issue as i am getting build up and issues with the EGR valve not openning it sometimes, causing my light to come on.
I am wanting to bypass it now and it seems a "plug-and-play" module is the best way to do this. Is this correct? or is the blank the best option.
there was a few dead links to plug-and-play modules but this is the only open i could find that worked... http://chiptuning.com.au/products-page/egr_module/
Is this the best one for a 08 3.2 Diesel?
many thanks
PixelPaul

Blocking the EGR

Postby murwullambah on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:15 pm

Some interesting reading i found just as i was about to block off EGR

Don’t Block or Remove the EGR Valve, It’s Saving You Money

The EGR Valve (Exhaust Gas Recirculation) valve is found on almost all modern engines and is considered part of the emissions package of your vehicle. In some states, removing it will cause you to fail your emissions inspection. Unfortunately, there is a huge misunderstanding about it's function circulating around the internet and sadly a lot of folks have actually removed it in the search for "free power."

The EGR valve is not simply about re-burning exhaust gasses to try to clean up the emissions. In fact, it's more about saving fuel and as a side effect, reducing emissions. In essence it "shrinks" your combustion chamber when the need for power is low. It has absolutely 0 effect on WOT performance and I'll explain why in this article as well as tell you how clever this little valve really is.

The EGR valve does not open under heavy load (I am unaware of any exceptions) and therefore, you will not be burning exhaust gasses while at wide open throttle. The idea that it somehow hurts power is simply yet another forum myth based on the thought that it "always" mixes noncombustible exhaust gasses with the air/fuel mixture - but it doesn't.

In reality, the valve opens at small throttle openings and in closed throttle situation to help fill the cylinders that are hungry for air but aren't getting any due to the throttle being in the way.

It is true that the EGR recycles exhaust gas through the engine and those gasses are less than optimum for combustion. However, at low throttle angles your engine isn't struggling to make power so much as it is struggling to work against the vacuum being created by the pistons traveling up and down the bore.

What do I mean? Well, if you've ever played with a syringe, you know that if you pull back on the plunger that it's very easy to do. However, if you block off the end and try to pull on the plunger, it's much harder to pull back. This is an easy way to think about what are called "pumping losses."

Pumping loss is wasted energy caused by the throttle being closed or partially close dmost of the time. When your throttle is closed, the throttle is restricting the engine's air flow but the engine is still pulling as hard as it does at WOT, at that engine speed. That's why you get manifold vacuum (and it can be quite high, like 30psi or so).

Therefore, the engine is actually having to work against itself to pull air in and that's wasting energy ("pumping losses"). This is just a design "flaw"/feature of the modern internal combustion engine and there's not a whole lot that can be done about it. However, the EGR valve allows us to do something very clever.

By providing the exhaust gasses to the engine, it's almost like opening the throttle up a bit more but without producing more power/burning more fuel. You're filling the cylinder, which has to be filled with something, but now you're filling it with a small mix of air/fuel and basically do-nothing gas. This reduces wasted energy and nets a gain in fuel economy.

This by the way is also why 5 speeds generally get better fuel economy than automatics. To get the BEST fuel economy, you want high throttle angles (more throttle) but the highest possible gear (5th, 6th gear). Running the engine at low throttle angles and high engine speeds is extremely wasteful of fuel on the other hand. For example, cruising in 4th gear at 4500rpm instead of 5th at 2800rpm. This is a very complicated issue that I'll unpack in another article at another time, but for now know that this is all just an illustration of the importance of low pumping losses.

In some automatic transmission vehicles there is a "sport" mode on the transmission which in most cases does little other than prevent the transmission from downshifting unless throttle angles get very high. On my IS300, it's called "ECT Power", when it's ON the transmission quickly downshifts and is nice for a "sporty" driving feeling. However, in normal mode, you can give the car more throttle in 5th gear without it shifting down thus saving fuel. It doesn't make the car any faster, it only changes the downshift behavior when you get it more throttle.

Anyhow, The EGR valve also helps your engine by richening up the air/fuel mixture but without additional fuel. It does this by reducing the amount of oxygen in the cylinders and thus the amount of fuel needed to keep a sane engine temperature while at cruising speeds. This reduces the amount of fuel your engine needs to burn when power demands are low. Essentially, to some extent, it's making your engine "smaller" when power demands are low by filling those cylinders with less air and fuel which really is almost as good as shrinking the engine (for times when a "big" one isn't needed).

Bottom line, there are people out there that block of the EGR valve in search of more power - don't be one of them. In a street car, you absolutely want to keep it. There is no performance advantage to removing it and the only thing you'd accomplish is wasting more fuel.
murwullambah

Re: Blocking the EGR

Postby srb on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:28 pm

Oh just what we need.. another EGR thread.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby viking shippy on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:48 pm

Yep Bla Bla Bla at what point do you think murwullam do you think that this fuel saving gets overridden by your truck needing a carbon clean from carbon build up causing a 20 % increase in fuel consumption and a $700 bill for the manifold clean...?

------------------------
Cheers VS
I don't miss my old
viking shippy

Postby gspy4u on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:54 pm

Shall we post some lovely photos of all the crap it builds up in our systems and how it take hours of pulling apart and as much to actually clean the poisonous sludge it deposits in there. Not to mention the soot, carbon is very abrasive & wears your rings & valves.

For those who haven't seen the ugly stuff this is what it looks likeClick to view larger picture
gspy4u
Platinum Subscriber

Postby L200Shogun on Tue Jul 12, 2016 4:56 pm

Diesel engines operate differently to petrol engines. What works on one doesn't always work on the other. If that is the article i think it is (can't be bothered rereading it) a lot of that is for petrol engines.
L200Shogun

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks