Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:18 pm

FredSmith wrote:
mtim87 wrote:whats the link to buy tonys egr resistor mod??

Read and use the link in the post above yours. :? ;)
you did not say if you had a ml or MN. But the site, if they are different, will have both.

Or you could go back to the first place you asked this question today where I gave you a link to the same site.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby Holstein on Thu Apr 16, 2015 10:46 pm

So had the manifold and egr system in cleaned today and car is driving much better, I also decided to block the egr off and install the resistor mod aswell at the same time,

Done 100km so far can car is running perfect with no lights or errors.
Holstein

Postby kouta666 on Mon May 25, 2015 7:47 pm

So.....I'm getting my manifold either replaced or cleaned this week. Got an EGR blank coming in the mail and have just been reading about this resistor mod. Stupid question but I couldn't see any instructions anywhere. Where does this resistor plug into? ODB port?
kouta666

Postby GLRkenny on Mon May 25, 2015 7:52 pm

On top of the air filter box there is a plug into the maf sensor, unplug this, put mod inbetween
GLRkenny

Postby kouta666 on Mon May 25, 2015 7:58 pm

Sweet. Thanks GLRKenny. I had no idea :lol:

All this stuff has been a massive learning curve for me. Slowly getting there.
kouta666

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon May 25, 2015 8:14 pm

I wouldn't worry mate, I'm into my 6th year of ownership and I'm still learning about the bloody things. :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby seed0023 on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:09 pm

Can anyone tell me where abouts the vacuum line off the throttle body should plug into?
seed0023

Postby leonbee on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:33 pm

Diesels hate cold weather starts. Australian winters are fairly medioca. I was just wondering how the truck performs when starting in cold weather with the EGR Blanked/shut off. Does it run rough or take noticeably longer to warm up. :?:
leonbee

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:40 pm

Mine takes a bit longer to warm since the mod was fitted but not more than a few minutes
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Think because of the air that's being sucked in is clean and cool rather than already warmed regurgitation, as for behaviour, driving gently until the engine is warmed is far easier as it works far better in low revs
dieselweasel

Postby srb on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:27 pm

dieselweasel wrote:Mine takes a bit longer to warm since the mod was fitted but not more than a few minutes

Impossible, it makes no difference... Reason being is, even in stock form (first thing in the morning when air is cold) your air temp sensor is already sending the signal to the ecu to keep egr closed.
TO SEE HOW TO HAVE A TRIP OF A LIFE TIME v
http://www.exploroz.com/Members/281229. ... x#mptabs=2
http://www.flickr.com/photos/exploroz/

Only those who will risk going too far can possibly know how far they can go.
srb
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:45 pm

I was under the impression that it would have to be under 7c for an unmodded engine to operate with the valve closed? There aren't too many mornings here that are under that.
I do the same roads to the same yard every morning, same speeds and same gear changes at same corners and it seems to me to warm up just a tad slower..... I dunno maybe it's me? I've had a few engine issues so I could be comparing smooth running ute to how it used to behave?
dieselweasel

Postby leonbee on Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:26 am

srb wrote:
dieselweasel wrote:Mine takes a bit longer to warm since the mod was fitted but not more than a few minutes

Impossible, it makes no difference... Reason being is, even in stock form (first thing in the morning when air is cold) your air temp sensor is already sending the signal to the ecu to keep egr closed.

I was under the impression that the EGR is open and helps the engine warm up.
leonbee

Postby Tony on Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:15 am

Best way is monitor the EGR and try running the engine with the mod on and off.

You will probably find makes no difference to how EGR works on the colder mornings (we are talking well under 15c) EGR will open on warmer starts regardless of coolant temperature.

Think about it, all we are doing here is telling the ECU it's still a bit cold out there, when it actually is cold, the standard setup does the same thing so makes the mod irreverent in effect.

Makes it a little hard to explain how "EGR working" helps warm the engine when it does not open as often in the colder conditions anyway.

EGR on some other makes does open even at sub zero. This principle is not universal to all vehicles, far from it.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:33 am

When I leave for work at half four in the morning I wish I could let it run for a while so I can warm it up quicker to have more fun on the way to work! My neighbours would be a bit upset about that though
dieselweasel

Postby Tony on Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am

The joys of diesel engines. My 4BD1T Isuzu powered Land Rover is a bit like that, has over 300,000ks on the clock and still wont free up till hits well over 70c. I have to keep the thermostat spot on or runs like a pig.
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby DCDAD on Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:12 am

Just a little something i noticed yesterday....

Had my car booked in for a service, prior to this , when i set up the SGII with the EGR codes , it would display the egr percentage of gas recirculation when you were under deceleration, ( hit the pedal, goes to 0 , coast may display 11, decelerate goes up to 69 for example) ,when i unplugged the MODULE yesterday and set it back to standard , the SGII was displaying 0 for quite a few kms, almost like the EGR was stuck... by the time i got to dealership, it was displaying a marginal reading. But interestingly, by the time i got home, the unit was starting to operate correctly again, AND the car was running relatively smoother and a lot less noisy too!!

Thoughts people?

Also , i believe there is a process in which to follow when installing the module.. is there a process when returning back to standard?
It wasn't me , Your Honour! :lol:
DCDAD

Postby BillMcQuade on Fri Sep 18, 2015 10:01 am

What is the SC2 code for the EGR? I wrote it down somewhere and promptly lost it.
White 2013 MN GLX+ manual

"Tuned by Doctor Diesel"
BillMcQuade
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Sep 18, 2015 12:19 pm

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Edman on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:18 pm

Wrong place sorry.
L200 Double Cab 2.5 TD long bed Hi Power
Location - South of France
Edman

Confuzzled - EGR...

Postby Edman on Tue Sep 29, 2015 4:50 pm

Hi Guys,

My first post on here so please be nice!

I have an L200 2011 with 2.5 litre diesel 178 bhp engine - 100,000 km on the clock (live in Europe). I have 2 engine code errors:

P0403 EGR Flow Circuit Malfunction
P2413 Exhaust Gas Recirculation System Perf

So I started my internet searching and stumbled on this amazing site. Registered, read the mods advice and started doing some searches on EGR (ps you can't search for 3 letter words on the forum....?) Finally got to the 180 odd page thread on the EGR, then clicked some links while reading 40 pages here, bunch more over there, and even more over there - Whoa Ed, stop clicking links - you have 5 webpages open with over 250 pages to read.... I do enjoy reading and you guys have great info to share, but foik me, there is a tad too much info resulting in me being more that confused as to how to deal with this EGR issue. Then I got to the directory and went through this well organised treasure chest, and boom again even more to read on the EGR.... Also you guys talk about MN vs ML? you have a 3.2 litre version - not available in Europe? You talk about a petrol version - really? You keep referring to a catch can WTF - never heard of one of them before and where does that oil originate from...

Suffice to say I need a wee bit of assistance making sense of all this info.... I would like to know:

what do those 2 error codes imply?
what should I do to fix it?
Easy really! :D

PS to Mod - posted in wrong forum initially -sorry...
L200 Double Cab 2.5 TD long bed Hi Power
Location - South of France
Edman

Re: Confuzzled - EGR...

Postby tommydadog on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:02 pm

I spent hours reading that stuff too, happened to learn what a catchcan was while reading through those threads, its literally a can that catches the oil in the air that goes back to the intake manifold which will help with preventing carbon build up in the intake manifold due to the egr recirculation.

As for MN vs ML, MN is the newer model of the 2, current one being the MQ.

From what I've read those 2 codes could be caused by a blocked egr valve due to carbon build up since you have 100,000km already. I could go on about what I've read but that should be left to those who know what they are doing :lol: :lol:
tommydadog

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:03 pm

Welcome to the forum, Ed. I've moved your post in here to keep it all tidy.

With those codes the most likely suspect is the EGR detent motor worn. Replacement is the only option, then install an electronic EGR controller. Search "SPV". :P :lol:

The 3 letter word search inability comes with the forum software that we use. You can get around it by using a wildcard 'egr*', or by searching two words 'egr P0403'. You can also enclose the words in quotation marks if it's part of a phrase you're looking for, "egr block".

ML is the first of the "new shape", 2007-2009. Came with 3.2 4M41 (detuned Pajero engine), 3.5 V6 6G74, detuned 4D56T (in 4x2) and a 4 cylinder petrol as well. That was rationalised in the MN (long tray, 2009-2015) with only the 4D56T high performance engine and a 4 cylinder petrol for 4x2. The new model, this year, is the MQ.

I think that the 3.2 has been available in Europe, but only in limited areas and special models. It is still sold in some markets like South America.

A catch can collects oil vapour that builds up in the rocker cover and is recirculated back into the intake system. This, combined with the soot that is fed into the intake by the EGR causes blockage of the inlet manifolds.

There you go, the sum total of Triton knowledge in one post. :D
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby bergs149 on Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:46 pm

Hi guys - Hope I am in the right place. I would just like to see if anyone could give me any info or if they've experienced similar problems to me.

I have an Auto 2008 ML Triton. Done around 150,000km.

Had some pretty bad surging problems, whacked a blank plate on it (no hole) and has been good since. (No CEL or anything)

So today, driving home from work I noticed that when I were to go up a hill or put the car under a bit of load (2000RPM-3000RPM) I could hear a whistling sound which sounded as if it were coming from under the dash, to the left hand side. Take throttle off - noise immediately goes away. No noise on idle, nothing when I give it a few revs.

Has anyone experience anything like that? My car knowledge is very basic, so any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.
bergs149

Postby coughy on Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:46 pm

how long has the plate been in there?? km??
as i have heard of over time and kms it will burn a hole threw it ??

to my knowledge there isnt anything inside of the cabin to make that noise
so it does it under load so turbo is spooling and making boost yoou might have a turbo leak on the big rubber hoses from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to throttle manifold
check them as there about the age of them to fail as i seen a few around that age crack and leak out boost pressure which u will only see at those rpms

test like this easy as to do

Read this First ;) ;)Then still cant find what you are after
Use this Second ;) ;)Then still no Joy Go Here
Look in this thread 8-) 8-)
coughy
Platinum Subscriber

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks