Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

clean before blanking?

Postby snippi on Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:02 pm

Some people say that you should have your manifold cleaned before blanking the egr but asides from having everything nice and clean is there a reason for this if the engine isn't experiencing issues due to build up?
Cheers
snippi

Re: clean before blanking?

Postby RHKTriton on Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:02 pm

Blanking and/or disabling the egr is beneficial straight away.

Factors to consider, how many kms driven, long or regular short drives, servicing intervals.

My son's mn, which we bought second hand (180k), had black engine oil which the dealer said gets changed before handing over - dreaming I think.

I did a complete fluid/lube change about 10k later. Egr defeat about another 10k later and finally took the manifold off about another 10k later to give it a clean - was a bit of goop lining but not too bad.

This vehicle does mainly 20 odd km runs.

So in a nutshell, stop new crap now and give it a clean when convenient.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Re: clean before blanking?

Postby L200Shogun on Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:45 pm

I would clean at next valve adjustment service
L200Shogun

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:57 pm

snippi wrote:I seen people say that you should have your manifold cleaned before blanking the egr but asides from having everything nice and clean is there a reason for this if the engine isn't experiencing issues due to build up?
Cheers

It’s entirely upto you mate. I blanked mine at 90thou and only have ever run a couple of cans of inlet cleaner through, now at near 260thou it still gives me 800klms a tank and no issues.
MilkmanDan

Re: Closing the EGR Valve *check first post for links*

Postby MilkmanDan on Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:57 pm

snippi wrote:I seen people say that you should have your manifold cleaned before blanking the egr but asides from having everything nice and clean is there a reason for this if the engine isn't experiencing issues due to build up?
Cheers

It’s entirely upto you mate. I blanked mine at 90thou and only have ever run a couple of cans of inlet cleaner through, now at near 260thou it still gives me 800klms a tank and no issues.
MilkmanDan

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks