Removal of airvents/carbon trim/climate controls

Removal of airvents/carbon trim/climate controls

Postby jacky_moo on Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:24 am

Hey guys does anyone know or have a write up on removing the centre stack?

Getting the top cover (housing the MFD) is easy but i want to remove the silver/carbon trim panel that houses the airvents and climate unit

If anyone can help it would be appreciated :)
jacky_moo

Re: Removal of airvents/carbon trim/climate controls

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:20 pm

Haven't tried it or seen it myself but my impression is that it might be quite a job.

What are you planning on doing in there?
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:39 pm

Does this help?

Click to view larger picture
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Aug 20, 2010 12:47 pm

Hey Chris, you don't do housecalls do you? Never could understand those bloody diagrams properly... :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:16 pm

Remove lower panel first. May need to release claws at top "E" x 2, "C". 1 on diagram
Remove knob from air selector lever. Lift retaining claw from underneath with small screwdriver. 2 on diagram.
Release mode selection and mixer cables. 3,4 & 5 on diagram.
Remove upper panel. 6 on diagram.
Remove control panel assemby. 7 on diagram.

The outer panels are only clipped on so a firm tug should be all that's necessary but need to make sure that you're pulling evenly.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby jacky_moo on Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:54 pm

Cheers for the replies guys!
Finally got it sorted out... its not the easiest job.. well its just fiddly

what am i up to?

check out my build thread... http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=5928&p=95796#p95796
jacky_moo

Removing the lower part of the dash

Postby Dans Tri on Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:31 pm

G'day Fellas

I've been looking all week for an guide on how to remove the panels of the lower dash in the MN GLX to get to the banks beside the cigarette lighter so i can install some rocker switches for an led light to the rear of the tray :? :? . If anyone can post pics or a pretty basic step by step guide on how to get to these that would be great. :D
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

Re: Removing the lower part of the dash

Postby har05l on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:30 pm

Look under the steering column and there are a few screws holding it in as well as one in the kick panel, job done
[censored]
har05l
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:58 pm

Dan, I've moved your post here because this is one of a number of threads that already cover this topic. It was easily found using the words "remove" and "dash" in Search. Much easier than starting a new thread. ;)
Chris

NowForThe5th

Re: Show us your Switches

Postby Dans Tri on Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:10 am

Hey guys not sure if a thread has been made about this but i have not been able to find exactly what im looking for so now im asking. does anyone have a good step by step on how to removal the center dash off a mn glx :?: :?:

much appreciated.
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

Postby NowForThe5th on Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:57 am

Dan, seriously, this is the second time you've asked the same question after being referred to this thread previously.

Please note my earlier comments about how easy it is to find this thread and try to use Search in the future.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby sydneymark on Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:49 pm

I am only wanting to remove the bit below the air con controls in my MN GLX and move my single din radio head unit there.

am I correct that the unit as shown in the diagram is held in with clips so I just need to pull it out in a controlled yank?

I have tried a couple of times but an worried about breaking something if there are some screws or similar that i need to remove first
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:28 pm

You need to remove the screw on the drivers side under steering wheel cover, if you undo the two screws for the under steering wheel cover you will see the clips holding the centre cover.

From memory there is no screws on the passenger side but have a look with the glove box open to check.

Yep just grab it and rip it out, the clips provide good resistance and you will think you are breaking something.....

If your Triton is new the clips should not break, if you have an ML you will probably break some clips, as most of us have, no drama the covers go back well enough with only half the clips...

Well mine are anyway :lol: :oops:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby Cage on Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:45 pm

I'm looking to do something similar Mark except that I would like to fit my Garmin Sat Nav unit in there. Remove the bottom panel, look for a replacement from the wreckers to cannibalise, and it should look tidy.

The 5th's helpful schematic has inspired me to have a serious look, although my problem is my eyes when I get up real close, like trying to see whats behind the dashboard. Might get some Dick Smiths magnifying glasses for real up close work before I try it.
Cage

Postby salt36 on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:00 pm

See if you can grab some of the clips that hold the panel in place with the second hand one...

The clips do break, when you see them and know the amount of force required to get the panel out you will see why they break, do a great job of keeping the panel in position but are flimsy when you have to rip the panel out. :roll:
salt36
Valued Contributor

Postby sydneymark on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:07 pm

A garmin sat nav? Which one? Will it need an external aerial?
my13 White GLX manual, ARB canopy, air compressor , bull bar & tow bar, Alpine head unit, AVI speakers, Ultimate Suspension, MSA canvas seatcovers, IPF HID spotties, GME UHF, Tail-gate lock, 4LED reversing light, Ebay snorkel, 2nd battery, aldi winch
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cage on Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:40 pm

@ salt36.................. Cheers Mate, and thanks for the suggestions.

@sydneymark........... This one Mark.....http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/281137551953 ... 1497.l2649 and it has been working brilliantly just sitting on the centre console.

My idea is to snug it in to the unused area in the bottom panel and maybe hook it into the wiring to the ciggie socket.

PS: Must re-instal my old Photoshop 3 so I can post pics.
Cage

Postby sydneymark on Tue Dec 24, 2013 5:22 pm

Here are some photos of how i went in taking out the lower dash/trim and moving my radio head unit down below.

Before

After

Now, what to do with this big empty space?
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby stackator on Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:34 pm

Thanks for the detailed photos Sydneymark, that solves a curiosity I had on how to take the lower dash apart
stackator

Postby Cage on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:07 pm

I've ordered a 280mm flexible windscreen mount for the Garmin but if it doesn't work out OK I'll look at removing the bottom section of the dash.
Cage

Postby sydneymark on Sat Dec 28, 2013 7:25 pm

I find that all the suction type mounts all give out at the most inconvenient moment and fall off, sometimes the types that are glued on give out in the heat too.

Anyone got any thoughts on what to put in the double din empty space? a couple of single din pockets for more storage? could use one slot for a couple of slide in/out cup holders, can never have too many of those :)
i could then mount the gps onto the slide in thingy
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fridgie on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:32 am

The lower models came with a storage pocket there instead of the double din with a flip up lid (lid was the front face section not the top)

Maybe one of those would suit you?
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby sydneymark on Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:20 pm

Looking on ebay I can find a bit with the flip top front but it has no actual pocket, also i can find a basic double din pocket, or this is currently my preferred choice...
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-Double-Din-Dash-Radio-Installation-Pocket-Kit-Storage-Box-Drink-Cup-Holder-/151151861765?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23315a6005&_uhb=1
combined with a single din pocket either above or below.

i know i have taken this thread somewhat off topic so if the mods would like to move it somewhere more appropriate that would probably be of benefit for future searchers
sydneymark
Platinum Subscriber

Postby macr237 on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:23 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Does this help?

Can someone point me to a dummies guide to removing the bottom shroud where the lighter is? I want to see if I can fit a CB under the pocket which would normally house the single DIN radio?
I would like to install one of these and use one of the accessory covers to allow me to plug the mic.

I just tried searching for the tools from Jaycar and they don't have the part number mentioned in another thread, so some other place to buy these would be handy as well.

Cheers
Macr
macr237

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Feb 23, 2015 6:42 pm

Don't overthink it mate. You need to partly remove the piece under the steering wheel as it overlaps with the bit you want down the driver's side. There are 4 screws, 2 underneath along the edge and 2 near the bottom corners which are easily spotted. The one on the far left also goes through the corner of what you're removing. The top edge of the first panel is held in by plastic clips. Just give it a firm pull towards the driver's seat and it should come loose.

Now the bottom panel is the same, in that it needs a direct pull backwards. You can get your fingers under the bottom corners with a bit of fiddling and you can give it a fair pull from down there. Also along e driver's side edge you can give it a tug since that side now has an opening. You only need a lever along the glove box side and if you've got the bottom and the right side free you probably won't need the levers.

Don't pull it all the way off though as it is tethered down the bottom. The cigarette lighter has an L shaped plug on the back which will pull off the back so the barrel of the socket can stay with the dash panel. There is also a small light globe in the horizontal plastic above the lighter. You should be able to feel your way in there. If you can grab it you should find it has some straight edges on it to hold. From memory it takes maybe 1/8 of a turn anti clockwise to free it from its little socket.

Mine is in pieces at the moment so any queries let me know and I can maybe take a pic or something,

Cowboy Dave

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks