Wheel Arch Flare Mods

Re: Wheel Arch Flare Mods

Postby NowForThe5th on Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:17 pm

Ooooh, that's the really fun bit.

When you paint, even in a booth, there is a certain amount of crud that gets in to the paint. Plus there are the variations in the finish dry spots or orange peel. For a truly professional and spectacular finish, after the final coats are dry you then sand it back flat and smooth using very fine wet sanding paper. Sometimes I'll go right back to P1200 but usually P1500, then do it all over with P2000 and then P3000. This is why, especially with acrylic, you need to put on a couple of extra coats of clear - because you need that thickness to sand flat without going through. Then after P3000 you get out the buff and bring up the shine. Once with a cutting compound then again with a finishing compound and finally with a swirl remover or glaze.

This is how it should look, off the gun:
Click to view larger picture

and then, after wet sanding and buffing:

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby DocBassett on Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:53 am

Ok perfect cheers. Do you think by doing this that I may even out the clear enough that I don't have to repaint?
DocBassett

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:38 am

Depends on how much clear you put on there, Mitch. You said 4 light coats, I think, so that may not be enough. It is possible to cut out runs using this technique but it takes some practice and if you go through the clear then it's a respray. Worth a try, perhaps. Worst that can happen is that you have to respray anyway.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby DocBassett on Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:49 am

Yeah exactly. Ill try it on one and see how it turns out. If it fails I'll wand back and start again. Who would have known it'd be so hard.
DocBassett

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:31 am

Yep, the $1000 price tag, although a bit exxy, starts to become believable. People just don't realise how much time is taken up in preparation and then getting the final finish that they want. They think that you just spray it and it's all good. :roll:
Chris

NowForThe5th

Postby DocBassett on Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:01 pm

Too true.
DocBassett

ML flare installation

Postby plantranger1162 on Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:00 pm

Hey guys,

I’ve purchased a set of aftermarket flares for my ML , are they easy to replace to swap over?

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
plantranger1162

Postby NowForThe5th on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:59 am

@plantranger1162 - Moved your post here. There are other threads, but this one will do.

For removal, see posts on Page 1. Installation depends on the quality and brand of the new ones. A few use the factory clip holes, some use screws that you have to drill new holes for while others just use adhesive tape. My experience, and we did lots in the shop, was that most aftermarket ones don't fit very well. Real 3M tape adheres well but most use fake 3M tape and it's rubbish. Make sure you Prepsol thoroughly any surface that the tape will be adhering to and then wipe down with Metho before attaching.
Chris

NowForThe5th

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks