How to fix the Triton steering column!

Re: How to fix the Triton steering column!

Postby biggibbo on Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:26 pm

I thought he was going to say get a can of MAF cleaner and spray on it as well as adding some 2T. :)
biggibbo

Postby 09andot on Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:41 pm

For those of you that have done this fix, has it made a difference at all to steering feedback? I get quite a lot of feedback through the steering wheel running 265/75r16 BFG A/T. I've had a poke around a few threads on here but there seems to be no resolution other than 'That's just the way it is'. I understand this is based on a slightly different problem, and based on the movement/rattle I get in the steering column when 4wding I'd say mine is due for this, but really want to sort out its on-road mannerisms as well!Cheers
09andot

Postby viking shippy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:33 pm

09andot wrote:For those of you that have done this fix, has it made a difference at all to steering feedback? I get quite a lot of feedback through the steering wheel running 265/75r16 BFG A/T. I've had a poke around a few threads on here but there seems to be no resolution other than 'That's just the way it is'. I understand this is based on a slightly different problem, and based on the movement/rattle I get in the steering column when 4wding I'd say mine is due for this, but really want to sort out its on-road mannerisms as well!Cheers

Hi mate the rattle is just that a rattle it's not dangerous just a little annoying
and isn't an issue for me unless I'm on some rough corrugations...since my suspension upgrade it's lessened a great deal....if your getting heaps of feedback I'd have a look at your suspension....mine was shocking literally...before the upgrade..
viking shippy

Postby 09andot on Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 pm

Cheers for the response viking. Im running a 2" lift from Ultimate- forgot to mention that. So shouldn't be that, recently changed to alloy wheels so can't blame steelies. Tyre pressures down at 32 so can't be that either! It's a bit of a conundrum haha. Keen to persist on a means of fitting a steering damper but no idea even where to start with that, I'm yet to find a successful install on here. Anyway, sorry for getting a bit off topic guys!
09andot

Postby viking shippy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:05 pm

09andot wrote:Cheers for the response viking. Im running a 2" lift from Ultimate- forgot to mention that. So shouldn't be that, recently changed to alloy wheels so can't blame steelies. Tyre pressures down at 32 so can't be that either! It's a bit of a conundrum haha. Keen to persist on a means of fitting a steering damper but no idea even where to start with that, I'm yet to find a successful install on here. Anyway, sorry for getting a bit off topic guys!

You have power steering and a rack you don't need a steering damper...won't fit..
Did you drive a car before ...your two to three tonne truck you have to take into account that it is a little heavier...and yes tritons steering is on the high feed back side of things.i like it exept for the rattle....hmmm you get used to it...get a sub and turn up the vibes...lol...
viking shippy

Postby 09andot on Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:27 pm

Yeh I drove a car before but more comparing it to a 100 series cruiser, and even a 98 hilux. Both don't feel the bumps anywhere near as much. Haha yeh that seems to be the only option- thanks mate!
09andot

Postby viking shippy on Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:16 pm

Those toy otas are renown for the lack of steering feed back...yeh...lol..
viking shippy

Postby tridog on Wed May 07, 2014 10:03 am

Hey can anyone describe this rattle to me, I have this annoying dull rattle/knocking sound but is very hard to pinpoint. I have tightened all my spotties, gaffer taped my winch hook, checked my shock rubbers..checked exhaust mounts
it is most audible around 40-60kmh after going over a bit of uneven ground but it is almost constantly niggling in the background, cant feel anything coming through the column....but getting under the dash and grabbing it i can definitely make it slop around????
tridog

Postby viking shippy on Wed May 07, 2014 10:37 am

I think you just described it yourself...
Mine seems to be in the column and noticeable at that speed....on corrugations.
If that is what it is for you it does no harm and I've learn to live with it ...
along with the Lhs seat belt buckle that rattles against the b pillar, the rear leafs and the squeely rear drum brakes....(after muddy water xings)
Last edited by viking shippy on Wed May 07, 2014 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
viking shippy

Postby tridog on Wed May 07, 2014 11:07 am

yeah im ok with it....the wife isnt....I am use to niggling sounds in the backgroung :)
tridog

Postby viking shippy on Wed May 07, 2014 12:34 pm

Turn up the radio lol...
viking shippy

Postby tridog on Wed May 07, 2014 5:56 pm

yep...industrial deafness also helps hehe
tridog

Postby viking shippy on Wed May 07, 2014 6:05 pm

WHAT...!
viking shippy

Postby tridog on Wed May 07, 2014 10:01 pm

:lol:
tridog

Postby GLRkenny on Thu Aug 28, 2014 7:27 pm

Fixed my wife's steering column today, got hold of the hotline fix, ordered the resin glue from mits $40, followed the instructions and now it's all good, no more knocking, happy wife happy life
GLRkenny

Postby markhood01 on Sat Nov 01, 2014 3:04 pm

GLRkenny wrote:Fixed my wife's steering column today, got hold of the hotline fix, ordered the resin glue from mits $40, followed the instructions and now it's all good, no more knocking, happy wife happy life

Hi Kenny, did you have to remove the steering wheel completely? Did you have any instructions? Or just wing it?

Cheers,
Mark
markhood01

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:16 pm

If you go right back to the start of this thread I'm sure sinwolf explained the whole thing.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby GLRkenny on Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:25 pm

markhood01 wrote:
GLRkenny wrote:Fixed my wife's steering column today, got hold of the hotline fix, ordered the resin glue from mits $40, followed the instructions and now it's all good, no more knocking, happy wife happy life

Hi Kenny, did you have to remove the steering wheel completely? Did you have any instructions? Or just wing it?

Cheers,
Mark

I did have to remove the steering wheel from the car but removed the wheel and column together so as to not disturb the clock spring. I did manage to get a copy of the hotline fix from mits but cannot find it now sorry.
GLRkenny

Postby ogre0015 on Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:00 pm

Anyone got instructions on how to remove the steering wheel etc to gain access to the section requiring re-gluing. Cheers
ogre0015

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:35 pm

From the manual
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:36 pm

But note the comment immediately above from Kenny who was able to remove the whole thing without separating the wheel.

Cowboy Dave

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks