CAD Drawings/Designs/Templates

Re: CAD Drawings/Designs/Templates

Postby chrisdoherty87 on Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:52 pm

I made up snappyrows sliders and just left them as bar work no checker. Love them. Fit is great and they are solid.
chrisdoherty87

Postby Thommo3337 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 pm

File is DWG.
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby 4wd26 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:18 pm

That is a cad format, native to auto cad, but most should be able to open it

There may be something free that can open if you search google?
Getting Out There
Sucks to be you, glad I bought a 3.2 :o
4wd26

Postby mamiller on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:13 pm

4wd26 wrote:That is a cad format, native to auto cad, but most should be able to open it

There may be something free that can open if you search google?

Autodesk have a free DWG viewer on their website for download for this very situation. http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/pc/index?id=6703438&siteID=123112
mamiller
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Thommo3337 on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 pm

thanks guys
A Heroin Addiction Would Have Been Cheaper!!
Thommo3337

Postby Ticker on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:17 pm

you wouldnt have a file for a bash plate would you ??
Ticker

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:27 pm

It's already on the forum elsewhere. Look for a thread called bash plates a guide - pretty sure I linked to the diagram in there.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby NowForThe5th on Wed Apr 23, 2014 8:29 pm

Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Ticker on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:50 pm

would there also be a CAD Drawing for rear step/ protection ??
Ticker

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:53 pm

Not that I am aware of. Most go with the aftermarket options. I've seen maybe 3 or 4 homegrown versions but most of them are pretty similar in overall appearance to the ARB tube bar sort of look but with a bit less structure to them underneath.

Cowboy Dave

Postby davebo on Thu May 08, 2014 9:22 am

Anyone done cad drawings of a trailer frame for an mn tub? (Tri trailer project?)
Famous last words.... "What Puddle??"
davebo
Platinum Subscriber

Postby kwikfab on Fri May 09, 2014 7:00 pm

davebo wrote:Anyone done cad drawings of a trailer frame for an mn tub? (Tri trailer project?)

Havnt seen any but if someone has one they can drop past with i have a student who can draw them in cad for you :D
Ive never wantedone because they are too small for a trailer but might be ok for a camper
kwikfab

Postby Dans Tri on Fri May 09, 2014 7:54 pm

If anyone has detailed dimensions and wants stuff drawn up for their Triton just let me know, as I'm a qualified drafter and work is pretty slow at the moment. :evil:
Dans Tri
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:25 pm

Hi guys,
A bit of a change from the sliders
Ive started drawing up a steel tray. Just rough guesstimates at the moment cause i want to roughly see how it looks, but the tray will be 1750x1450. Anyway a sneek peek, please critique it, i need fresh eyes looking at it to point stuff you dont like out. eventually ill complete an engineering drawing and build it. then ill post the drawings and photos fitted for anyone who wants to build it.

Have at it

Click to view larger picture

carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:57 pm

Are those tool boxes going to fix to the tray deck or to that single cross bar? Depending on materials I'd be wanting more than one fixing location.

I assume there's some sort of sub-frame to come for the chassis mounts?

Is 1750 the width or the length? The images are a bit deceptive as to which is the longer dimension. Either way just shy of 6ft is probably getting a bit on the long side - blokes who've had trays will pipe up with a more informed view than mine.

I suppose you also need to think through how you're going to mount the rest of your wheel arch/mud guard but that may come with the sub frame.

The nicest trays I've seen tend to try to match the curve on the back of the cabin to some extent. Which is tricky but something to consider as that bit on the back of the cabin below the curve doesn't look the best if it is left bare.

What else? How is the spare going to mount, and where? Are there other mounts needed - like for a hi-lift jack for transporting it, or even jacking points if you want to use a high lift on the rear. Will there be a tow bar and what bearing does that have on anything else, including length I guess?

Anyway there's some random ramblings which may give you one or two extras to think about if you haven't already.

Wish I could use a program to draw stuff up like that - I can talk and write but can't build or draw for shit :oops: :oops:

Cowboy Dave

Postby dan.batto on Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:12 am

I have been looking at trays and how to build etc a little bit lately, ive taken a lot of notice at the way homers tray was built. Instead of the frames you have highlighted in blue, Brett from just powder coating used a 300x50? (I will have to check the width) "C" section. After chatting to brett a while back, he said this was for strength but also allows you to easily seal in the draw by adding sheet metal to the top and bottom. I would consider having a good look at homers tray build. Plenty of good pics on the build etc that show you the structural side to it.
dan.batto

Postby carrrake on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:17 pm

Happy new year everyone

Cowboy Dave wrote:Are those tool boxes going to fix to the tray deck or to that single cross bar? Depending on materials I'd be wanting more than one fixing location.

Nah those toolboxes were an after-thought. Definitely be anchoring them on more then one spot. Thats on the list to fix up

I assume there's some sort of sub-frame to come for the chassis mounts?

Yeah that would be done later, probably when the tub comes off. Ill then be able to have an idea on how the mounts would have to go.

Is 1750 the width or the length? The images are a bit deceptive as to which is the longer dimension. Either way just shy of 6ft is probably getting a bit on the long side - blokes who've had trays will pipe up with a more informed view than mine.

1750 is definitely the width. going by other peoples tray builds, these are the preferred dimensions as i dont really like the ones that are too wide, nor too long. drawbar is where i would like mine to stop. And yes you re right, the images are a bit deceiving. I shouldve captured better angles.

I suppose you also need to think through how you're going to mount the rest of your wheel arch/mud guard but that may come with the sub frame.

Bingo
The nicest trays I've seen tend to try to match the curve on the back of the cabin to some extent. Which is tricky but something to consider as that bit on the back of the cabin below the curve doesn't look the best if it is left bare.

I agree. Ive have seen a few now and have an idea i what i want. Trouble is, it cant be too fancy-im no boilermaker

What else? How is the spare going to mount, and where? Are there other mounts needed - like for a hi-lift jack for transporting it, or even jacking points if you want to use a high lift on the rear. Will there be a tow bar and what bearing does that have on anything else, including length I guess?

I have 2 spares, one will be in the original spot. not too fussed on that at this stage. just a matter of welding in some thick gauge channel. the other spare will get promoted from the shed to the headboard on the tray. Havent really thought about hi lift jack, prob cause i dont own one but that could change. but then its a matter of picking a suitable spot and attaching mounts. or shove it in the slide out drawer??
Anyway there's some random ramblings which may give you one or two extras to think about if you haven't already.

Exactly the feedback i was after, appreciate you taking the time
Wish I could use a program to draw stuff up like that - I can talk and write but can't build or draw for shit :oops: :oops:

I took night classes at the local tafe to learn autocad. i highly recommend it. Done a few drawings now, this is the first for the triton though.
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:31 pm

dan.batto wrote:I have been looking at trays and how to build etc a little bit lately, ive taken a lot of notice at the way homers tray was built. Instead of the frames you have highlighted in blue, Brett from just powder coating used a 300x50? (I will have to check the width) "C" section. After chatting to brett a while back, he said this was for strength but also allows you to easily seal in the draw by adding sheet metal to the top and bottom. I would consider having a good look at homers tray build. Plenty of good pics on the build etc that show you the structural side to it.

Yeah i really do like homers tray. Spewing i had no idea that there was a build thread for his tray. i thought i had seen them all. even ventured over to newhilux to check theirs out.
Very interesting concept on the 300x50 C-section. I really do like the fact that it seals in the drawers. I did ponder how to seal it but then sucumb to the fact that dust and shit will still get in there. Definitely going to check this thread out. Might even be worth a re-draw??
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby carrrake on Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:42 pm

Found the thread. For others reading this, ive save you the trouble. link below

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=11165&hilit=homer+tray
carrrake
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:34 pm

Yeah I'd have to say that's possibly the tidiest tray I've seen yet. Well it was when it went on anyway, it hasn't been real well treated since then. :lol:

I was sure I'd seen someone post recently that they'd got measurements from Brett who built that tray and then used them to build theirs. I guess a search on Brett would turn that up at some point if you haven't already seen it.

Cowboy Dave

Postby Calblitzen on Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:57 pm

I believe there is a fellow Alian? Who made a nice alloy tray that curved to suit the cab
No matter what life throws at you, SMILE.

Better to be looking at it, than looking for it.
Calblitzen

Postby dan.batto on Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:47 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Yeah I'd have to say that's possibly the tidiest tray I've seen yet. Well it was when it went on anyway, it hasn't been real well treated since then. :lol:

I was sure I'd seen someone post recently that they'd got measurements from Brett who built that tray and then used them to build theirs. I guess a search on Brett would turn that up at some point if you haven't already seen it.

That would be dylan. Not sure of his username, i sent a pm hoping to get the plans a couple weeks ago but havent heard back yet. It is the christmas break and people are away ;)

Edit: just had a check, its dyl383
Try this link

Dylan's tray build - lots of pics
viewtopic.php?t=17650
Dylan's tray build - lots of pics
dan.batto

Postby balmycook on Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:07 pm

Hi guys, I need a drawing for a bash plate and sliders for a 02 Mk V6. Anyone seen that here??
balmycook

Postby Rchymad on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:53 am

Mattyjl wrote:The sliders look great, good job mate!
You wouldn't happen to know if they would fit an ML as well?

I wouldn't mind knowing this as well :)
Rchymad

Postby Cowboy Dave on Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:59 am

They should, the chassis line is the same.

Cowboy Dave

PreviousNext

Return to Tips & Tricks