Turbo Diesel - Driving tips?

Re: Turbo Diesel - Driving tips?

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:46 am

Can someone explain what 'using the torque' is?

Is it timing your gear changes so when you release the clutch, you're at turbo peak so no waiting for boost?

Some days I'm gently mean to the triton, I let it rip but other days I challenge myself not to rev past 2k and keep boost as low as 5Psi, either way I leave engine to idle 1min before I drive and one minute after for heating and cooling purposes. My wife hates it. :lol:

The egr mod really helps with driving in low revs, often saves a gear change here and there. .
Proud owner of 'Wheelbarrow'
dieselweasel

Postby dieselweasel on Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:54 am

Can someone explain what 'using the torque' is?

Is it timing your gear changes so when you release the clutch, you're at turbo peak so no waiting for boost?

Some days I'm gently mean to the triton, I let it rip but other days I challenge myself not to rev past 2k and keep boost as low as 5Psi, either way I leave engine to idle 1min before I drive and one minute after for heating and cooling purposes. My wife hates it. :lol:

The egr mod really helps with driving in low revs, often saves a gear change here and there. .
dieselweasel

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:32 am

The sweet spot seems to be where in any particular gear, you are driving at revs where putting the foot down still allows an increase in engine speed.

So for example you're driving along up a slight grade in fourth, you put the foot down and you can't accelerate - at this point the engine is lugging.

If you were a couple of hundred revs lower in the same situation and you put the foot down and you can accelerate, then that's the best revs/gear combination.

I find the 3.2 can easily spend most of its time in the 1500 to 2500 rpms.

Interesting to see how the petrol motors have gone more for lower revs over the last 20yrs. When I started driving the big thing was how high an engine could rev. Now most medium to large cars are cruising at similar revs to light diesels.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby RHKTriton on Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:34 am

The sweet spot seems to be where in any particular gear, you are driving at revs where putting the foot down still allows an increase in engine speed.

So for example you're driving along up a slight grade in fourth, you put the foot down and you can't accelerate - at this point the engine is lugging.

If you were a couple of hundred revs lower in the same situation and you put the foot down and you can accelerate, then that's the best revs/gear combination.

I find the 3.2 can easily spend most of its time in the 1500 to 2500 rpms.

Interesting to see how the petrol motors have gone more for lower revs over the last 20yrs. When I started driving the big thing was how high an engine could rev. Now most medium to large cars are cruising at similar revs to light diesels.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby dieselweasel on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:33 pm

I know now what you mean dude. Don't suppose you're using a Sony android phone when your messages duplicate? I now use tapatalk to stop it happening.
dieselweasel

Postby willotriton on Tue Sep 08, 2015 7:23 pm

Hey fellas,
Had my 2015 MN manual for a couple of months now (5000ks) with MK1 Dominator Chip installed after 2500ks. I noticed even before the chip that engine revs seem to linger in between gear changes and by driving what i think is normal shifting it feels like i'm dropping the clutch every gear until at least 3rd gear.

Got my EGT gauge installed today by the local diesel mechanic and he questioned the same thing before i mentioned it, as he'd taken it for a test drive. Reckons it would be putting heaps of strain on the clutch which would not be covered by warranty????

Anyone else experiencing this or is it just my driving style that needs adjustment?

Cheers,

WIllo
willotriton

Postby Cowboy Dave on Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:46 pm

It's a common issue unfortunately. Mitsy says it's there by design but most drivers think it's a bit stupid. Someone found the proper name for it but I can't remember now what it was so can't tell you what to search to find it. There are a few posts scattered around though complaining about it.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby colin b on Wed Sep 09, 2015 9:10 am

An often overlooked aspect of fuel economy is how you use the brakes.

Basically, in traffic try and avoid braking at all because every time you slow down you have to speed up again and that wastes fuel. The trick is to back off a sensible distance from the car in front and use the diesel's excellent compression braking to hold your position in the lineup. I always shake my head when I see a driver almost up the tailpipe of the car in front dancing a soft-shoe shuffle between brake and throttle.

Mine is an auto and I have found that taking off from the lights smoothly and letting the revs build up gradually does the trick - I listen for a growl rather than a roar if that makes sense. It is fast enough to keep up with everyone else but easier on the juice.

It is fun to occasionally "clean out the manifold" by burning off some kid in a Japanese shoebox, though :D
Try not: Do or do not, there is no "try". (Jedi Master Yoda)
colin b

Postby tommydadog on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:22 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:It's a common issue unfortunately. Mitsy says it's there by design but most drivers think it's a bit stupid. Someone found the proper name for it but I can't remember now what it was so can't tell you what to search to find it. There are a few posts scattered around though complaining about it.

could you be referring to 'rev hang'?
tommydadog

Postby GLX58 on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:52 am

willotriton wrote:Hey fellas,
Had my 2015 MN manual for a couple of months now (5000ks) with MK1 Dominator Chip installed after 2500ks. I noticed even before the chip that engine revs seem to linger in between gear changes and by driving what i think is normal shifting it feels like i'm dropping the clutch every gear until at least 3rd gear.

Got my EGT gauge installed today by the local diesel mechanic and he questioned the same thing before i mentioned it, as he'd taken it for a test drive. Reckons it would be putting heaps of strain on the clutch which would not be covered by warranty????

Anyone else experiencing this or is it just my driving style that needs adjustment?

Cheers,

WIllo

As CD has replied, it appears you're referring to 'rev hang'/flaring. Many MN's do it, some apparently more than others. As CD says, Mitsu state it is part of the design of the vehicle so wont do anything about it. While this is a poor excuse from mitsu, to their (slight) defence alot of people who whinge about do not realise a number of other cars on the market also do it. For example I have a petrol suzuki vitara which is actually worse than the MN under some conditions. My MN had what would probably be considered 'usual' case when I got it, so I can give the following feedback:
- your chip may be exacerbating it
- Many notice a significant decrease after around 6k kms for no explainable reason
- Many notice a significant decrease after installing the EGR mod.
- It definitely is affected by driving style. I came from a relatively high power high revving petrol and had to change my driving style a fair bit when I got the MN.
- with all the above, I don't even notice it anymore/it actually can't be noticed unless going hard.
GLX58

Postby willotriton on Thu Sep 10, 2015 2:07 pm

Thanks for the info fellas. Seems like a combination of my driving and the design.
Was taking a bit more notice of it today through gear changes.

- By depressing the clutch and releasing the throttle at the same time the revs 'flare' by about 250rpm.
- Backing off the throttle too soon before engaging the clutch seems to let revs drop to much and the engine ends up laboring till it hits decent revs again
- Somewhere in the middle is the only way to eliminate it i guess. I get it every now and then but kind of have to concentrate on it :| Heres hoping it miraculously disappears when I get over the 6k.

Cheers

Willo
willotriton

Postby CarmsMNclub on Tue Oct 06, 2015 8:51 am

I have a my12 diesel and get the same rev hang.... Drives me crazy as i believe i was a very efficiant driver before purchasing the triton, now i feel like a fool who cant change gears properly every time i take her out , i found that the only way is to back off on the throttle a lot earlier then i usually would, i end up having to slow down my gear changes.... Which sucks :( mine has done 90k kms though and its still a pain in the ass.... If it was every worse then this i dont know if it would be drivable, certainly cant help fuel economy revving thay little bit higher and longer every gear change
CarmsMNclub

Postby bigjobs on Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:19 pm

I think somebody mentioned that when they brought the issue up with their dealer, they referred to the flaring as "dash pot" I think. :-)
bigjobs

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks