Turbo Diesel - Driving tips?

Postby longsville on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:25 pm

Hey guys,
This is my first turbo diesel, the GLX-R 2011.
I normally get around in a easy changing city car that does not mind a fair run of the RPM!
Is there any tips to driving the turbo diesel? Any hints on getting good power or economy.
Dont do any towning or anything usually city and highway cruising.

I did do a topic search and could not find and real advice on tips and read other sites for different older diesels and have a feeling a few things may have changed?

Cheers
Aleks
longsville

Re: Turbo Diesel - Driving tips?

Postby al coholic on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:51 pm

Good question mate........I wouldnt drive a new generation diesel any different to any other car. Only thing I am mindful of is to let the turbo cool down for a minute or two after pulling up tho........even if the dealer reckons not to worry.

I do like to give mine a bootful more often than not...........but there are times when i do just cruise down the highway and this is obviously where you will get the best economy from any car............and i dont mean doing 70 in a 110 zone...........just take it easy on acceleration and gear changes. ;)

in saying all that...........it certainly does seem to pot luck weather you have grabbed an economical triton or a thirsty one. There are some on here that have all the fruit fitted and drive like they stole it, and still return near stock fuel figures :roll: :lol: :lol:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything important, it's too late to stop reading it.
al coholic

Postby dougyglxr on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:53 pm

economy IMO is changin before 2000rpm and not goin over 110 should get 8. something, not sure cant baby it for any longer than 5 mins :lol:
Power, takeoffs- its very easy to think you have enough revs to dump the clutch and burn away from the lights in front of a SS commodore but you will hit the lag even tho your revs are up due to the load now on the engine
and the engine wont physically let you rev it in gear past 3000rpm ( which shits me to tears... :cry: )
on lining up against ss bring revs up to around 2k lil over, on the green, half release the clutch to keep revs above the 2k until you get the jump fully release clutch and you will be lookin for 2nd pretty fast... :evil:
then you have to fight the lag on every new gear going up which i haven't mastered yet and dont want to ride my clutch too much, does the trick in "winners lanes" i call em :lol:
" Love that car, Love this site"
My Toys....
Triton GLXR twin cab 2.5 mn MY11
Lancer SX sedan MY11
dougyglxr

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:04 pm

al coholic wrote:in saying all that...........it certainly does seem to pot luck weather you have grabbed an economical triton or a thirsty one. There are some on here that have all the fruit fitted and drive like they stole it, and still return near stock fuel figures :roll: :lol: :lol:

i definitely disagree with this statement, its all about driving style for fuel economy in a diesel the less revs the less fuel you use(unless its laboring badly) the difference in mine is changing at 2400-2500 and just giving it 50%-75% throttle straight up compared to 1800 max shift points and feeding the power on slowly as the engine rpms build and using the torque not just the revs to get u moving(hard to explain) the difference is about 2-3L and that's with a very light triton with stock size tyres..
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby longsville on Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:29 pm

So essentilly if you want economy you ease the throttle and change at lower rpms? Is this because diesels are more comfortbale at lower rpm?
And if you wanna take the 'winners lane' (love that term) trial and error until you master the engine and gearbox i guess.....i dunno if its just me but i was amazed by the power in the triton and the pick up, i certainly feel the lag in changes but once the magic RPM is reached and the boost kicks in......they have some ' get up and go!'
longsville

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:05 pm

thats spot on mate ill also add i change gears a lot to keep my engine at its most efficient zone: below 1800 and above 1200 or their about (50+/-) this is for my ML 3.2 remember not your punnie 2.5 with different turbo and different torque band

and you guys are forgetting to use your handbreak to get the launch, ive pretty much got it down pat so i just hear the rears fear for their life and give a mercy like yelp as they are scratched across the pebbles we call QLD roads when i feel like being competitive and go for the 100m merge lane at a set of traffic lights :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Edited: because im an amateur speller :roll:
Last edited by chick_magnet_0001 on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Tony on Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:18 pm

Just keep it in the lower end of the torque curve for best economy and drivability. No use either lugging nor revving the claw out of the modern diesel. With the Mn you will find the sweet spot between 1800 and 2200RPM ;)

Cheers T
Tony
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Homer on Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:44 am

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:
al coholic wrote:in saying all that...........it certainly does seem to pot luck weather you have grabbed an economical triton or a thirsty one. There are some on here that have all the fruit fitted and drive like they stole it, and still return near stock fuel figures :roll: :lol: :lol:

i definitely disagree with this statement, its all about driving style for fuel economy in a diesel the less revs the less fuel you use(unless its laboring badly) the difference in mine is changing at 2400-2500 and just giving it 50%-75% throttle straight up compared to 1800 max shift points and feeding the power on slowly as the engine rpms build and using the torque not just the revs to get u moving(hard to explain) the difference is about 2-3L and that's with a very light triton with stock size tyres..

Note that you will probably suffer more panel damage than is really necessary if you follow this method of driving as all the other normal drivers this doddering fool holds up all day will eventually lead to you being shunted off the road where you belong and maybe even a quick backhander in case you haven't got the message ;)

This reminds me of a long overdue tradie/ute/4wd owner post I was going to make in the rant thread...
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby reeldreamer on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:00 am

Homer this is the turbo DIESEL thread mate.........keep moving mate nothing to see here! :lol: ;)
Bash plates and other cool gear from Prestige Offroad Accessories

http://www.newtriton.net/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=80
reeldreamer

Postby Homer on Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:44 am

:lol: Just providing a message on behalf of the community to those that don't go above 1800RPM ;)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby trickydevil on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:38 pm

You guys are funny as...... :lol: I drive mine between 1500 - 3000 rpm, get about 11-12 around town, about 10-11 down the hwy. I find that feul economy depends greatly on what is playing on the ipod. Old style pearl jam & nickle back will make your economy suffer, slim dusty, wiggles, etc will improve you fuel economy but will end up costing you more in panel repairs as it will send you to sleep...........

Foremost being a diesel, some times you need to just DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT................... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
trickydevil

Postby fridgie on Tue Mar 15, 2011 2:58 pm

Doesn't matter how you drive it mate, I drive mine like it's stolen all the time and get mid 10's. Others drive like their 80yrs old and not that much better economy.

No matter how you drive it, you'll ALWAYS beat the clowns who went for the petrol model :lol: :lol: :twisted:

Edit: it would seem the harder you drive it the less chance of carbon build up ;) Personally, I've never had a limpy, CEL or even had a code stored that didn't throw a light :mrgreen:
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:25 pm

Homer wrote:
chick_magnet_0001 wrote:

Note that you will probably suffer more panel damage than is really necessary if you follow this method of driving as all the other normal drivers this doddering fool holds up all day will eventually lead to you being shunted off the road where you belong and maybe even a quick backhander in case you haven't got the message ;)

This reminds me of a long overdue tradie/ute/4wd owner post I was going to make in the rant thread...

mate its not about going slow.. its about shifting earlier and riding the torque curve in its lower portion (sits and waits for "chicky riding something" joke :roll: :roll: )

im waiting for your post in the rant thread homer...... just waiting i amm :twisted:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby Diddy on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:33 pm

chick_magnet_0001 wrote:

I wonder who told you that info chicky
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:42 pm

lol and i thank you :) now just to convert the rest of the forum that it does work :roll:
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Recovered
chick_magnet_0001

Postby dougyglxr on Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:20 pm

reeldreamer wrote:Homer this is the turbo DIESEL thread mate.........keep moving mate nothing to see here! :lol: ;)

love it :lol:
chicky,
well said mate, all of it!!!!! :twisted:
havent done the handbrake job in the triton yet used to in all me v8's tho
will have a go on the black pebble roads tomorrow :lol:
" Love that car, Love this site"
My Toys....
Triton GLXR twin cab 2.5 mn MY11
Lancer SX sedan MY11
dougyglxr

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:34 pm

A sixth gear would be handy!

Be nice to see it idling down the freeway at 1800rpm when doing 110kph. Drop down spoiler for road work and a traffic clearing 40mm canon under the hood.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Diddy on Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:12 am

What rpm's do the auto 4spd n auto 5spd sit on when @ 100kph
i wish we had a caravan like the ALCO'S
Diddy

Postby Bad Kitty on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:34 am

Mine (5sp auto) sits on circa 1800 - 2000 rpm @ 110.

Not that high homer, but was slightly off :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Bad Kitty on Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bad Kitty

Postby Homer on Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:53 am

I think you might mean 2200-2300rpm kitty?

Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby fraz91 on Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:35 am

personally, i find best way to get decent economy is to just cruise. shift around 2200-2400 and dont go over 60% throttle. that being said, it's best to get up to the speed limit and then drop it into 4th or 5th, depending on how fast you're going (5th at 60km/h labours a bit too much for my liking).

as with all the others though, i do have the occasional thrash when scaring some arrogant kid in his rice-burning civic hatch off at a set of lights. DEFINITELY agree with the use of the handbrake, though i haven't really needed to. mostly just load the engine up on the clutch first (have a boost gauge to tell me so i know where my sweet spots are :lol: )

if you get a boost gauge for it, i find keeping it under about 10psi gives low-mid 9's for economy

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby snowman on Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:06 am

Diddy wrote:What rpm's do the auto 4spd n auto 5spd sit on when @ 100kph

not exactly 100klm/h Diddy but i do know at 115 with my 32's i am doing pretty much 2375 RPM.

edit - 4 speed auto
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby trickydevil on Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:51 pm

5spd & 33's that's how i roll, 100km/h @ 2000 and 110km/h @ abt 2200. Thanks to extra gearing with the 33's.

BTW can't wait for my K&N filter, oooohhh baby, fridgie's sounded so good i just had to get one. :twisted:
trickydevil

Postby Sky Miner on Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:16 pm

although a bit of a old thread ;) here's some food for thought, in my 2010 MN auto T/C with stock tyres and about 5km of strait open road it was time to find out what she can do :twisted: in under 3km i was doing 185kmh 2850rpm and slowing, on a good day prob could have reached 190kmh :o now that is not bad for a little 2.5lts 4x4 :) its just chugging along nicely .
Our roads are pretty good up here so dont be frighten to open it up.
My (ex) hilux 3.0ltr 2wd was governed to 160kmh/4000rpm now that sux ;)
Ever noticed if somebody is driving slower than you is an idiot,
and anyone going faster than you is also an idiot?
Sky Miner

Postby wilbo2 on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:39 pm

Have the stock manual MN 2011 and I don't usually carry an heavy loads. The engine labours and shudders terribly when I'm trying to drive at 60km/h in 4th gear. Same with 80km/h and 5th but not as bad. It's right on the cusp of getting on boost it seems and 60 km/h is in no man's land. This means I spend much more time 3rd around town unless I want to speed and keep it between 65 and 70km/h in 4th gear. Do other MN drivers notice this or is just me? It doesn't feel geared properly to me. I have 9000kms on the clock. Will the engine 'loosen' up a bit?
wilbo2

Next

Return to Tips & Tricks