Cleaning the MAF (MASS) Sensor

Re: Cleaning the MAF (MASS) Sensor

Postby AnOldFart on Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:26 pm

x2 for CD's suggestion, but if the toothbrush doesn't work sufficiently, then you could also maybe try using a small piece of 1000 grit wet&dry paper folded -lengthwise- over the end of a wooden paddle-pop stick and then --gently-- use it to polish off the corrosion visible on the pins in your photo. I wouldn't get --too-- eager with it ie, just slide the wet&dry back and forth gently, lengthwise along each of the pins, until the worst of the crap is removed. The opposite side other half of that connector ie, with the 5 little matching mating "sockets" in it is a bit more problematic because you can't get easy access into each of them to clean them. Best thing I could suggest is to give it a scrub with the toothbrush as CD suggests and perhaps also maybe use a toothpick to prise out any "obvious" bits of corrosion that you can see in there.
Once you've done all that then wash it / flush it well, with something like wd-40 or RP7 and then shake that all out (or preferably, blow it out with compressed air) so that there are no tiny "metal" dust / filings left inside of the connector housing from the "polishing" process.
When you're happy with the look of the cleanliness of the pins then I would spend just a couple of bucks at Soupycheep on buying a spray can of "LanoTec-GP" and give all the pins and sockets and all of the insides of the connector halves a good solid squirt of it.
The good thing about LanoTec-GP is that it not only cleans electrical connections but it also provides a fairly long-lived waterproofing of them as well, doing a far better job of that, than just WD-40 or RP7.
Finally, before re-assembling the connector have a close look at it to see if there is any obvious physical damage or trapped dirt that might compromise the effectiveness of the little "seal" located at the back edge (ie, closest to the wires) of the other half of the connector ie, the half with the 5 little sockets inside of it..... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:09 pm

Actually an emery board or two might be easier than wrapping a paddle pop stick. Or a nail file or similar sized file - like a points file for example.
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby edsalguero on Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:49 pm

Thanks, will see if I can find that LanoTec-GP over here and truly protect those corroded connetors.

Seems its gonna be done this weekend... or maybe next one. Got to find the materials and do it patiently ;)

BTW I could notice a very slight improvement this morning using the ute. Still too soon, but have a 200km round trip today and will see if I can use less diesel or have more power in hill climbs. I will let you know.

Cheers
edsalguero

Postby Kingbrown on Fri Feb 27, 2015 3:04 pm

For your connectors/connections, if you want the 'bees knees' in electrical contact products then check out Electrolube.
Good for troublesome switches too.

Their SGB (grease) and SOB (Oil) products have always worked well for me :D
Kingbrown
Platinum Subscriber

Postby edsalguero on Sun May 24, 2015 11:23 am

Finally cleaned the connectors, it wasn't that hard to do it. Thanks for all the advices 8-)
This is how they look now:
Click to view larger picture

Click to view larger picture
edsalguero

Postby lowfly on Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:21 pm

Cleaned the air flow sensor and MAF today.Was pretty dirty and cleaned with contact cleaner. First start it fired up quicker and ran smoother, pulled harder below 2000rpm, all good.
Then decided to clean to hose from the blue MAP sensor to the manifold. Poked a bit of wire into the manifold after cleaning out the hose and refit.
Took off up the road and the engine check light came on and bugger all acceleration.
Turned off and on several times but no good.
Bloody hell it was all going good and the f###ing thing is now like a wet dish cloth.
Mmm, remove cover again and pull off hose to manifold and poke some wire into it.
Blocked, clean out with wire and reverse procedure.
Test run is all :D , after fitting K&N filter and performing above mods now pulls from 1500prm and no black smoke.
Thanks for the info guy's, very happy.
lowfly

Postby RHKTriton on Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:05 am

You have to be careful using any abrasives on the connectors. You don't want to remove any of the plating or you could make corrosion a bigger problem in the long run.

Contact cleaner and a stiff nylon brush would be the safest.

I've noticed on mine over the weekend that the green rubber seal is starting to develop fine cracks around the edges, so moisture is going to eventually become an issue.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby AnOldFart on Tue Jun 30, 2015 12:32 pm

RHKTriton wrote:You have to be careful using any abrasives on the connectors. You don't want to remove any of the plating or you could make corrosion a bigger problem in the long run.
Contact cleaner and a stiff nylon brush would be the safest.
I've noticed on mine over the weekend that the green rubber seal is starting to develop fine cracks around the edges, so moisture is going to eventually become an issue.

Corrosion requires the presence of moisture ie, water, to kick it along and that's why I use and recommend, a liberal squirt of LanoTec-GP in both halves of the MAF Sensor's electrical connector block. It not only helps 'clean' the little metal electrical connectors but it also drives out, -and-keeps-out- moisture for far, far longer, than other 'thin' electrical water displacers like WD40 or RP7. Another benefit of LanoTec is that it does not perish rubber seals, in fact quite the opposite, it helps to preserve them and keep them supple, hence prolonging their useful life and waterproofing abilities. A good maintenance 'routine' to include at every 15,000 Kms Service interval is to 'also' pull the MAF electrical connector block apart and give it a quick -refresher- squirt of LanoTec at the same time. You can buy a spray can of LanoTec-GP from 'SoupyCheep' for just a couple of dollars. It's good cheap insurance for a happier 'Triton' life .... ;)
Quote: "Only two things are infinite: the Universe and human stupidity; and I really am not certain about the Universe !" - Albert Einstein (1879 - 1955)
AnOldFart
Platinum Subscriber

Postby ML2008 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 2:48 pm

A very timely piece of advice that AOF, as I only today went down to Repco and picked up a can of MASS cleaner, plus a new air filter, will not change over the filter or clean the MAFF sensor until I get a can of Lano Tec-GP and do the job all in one go.
I created a big laugh on the other side of the counter, when with a slip of the tongue asked for Muff Cleaner,
it must have been the devil in me :evil: :lol:
ML2008
Platinum Subscriber

Postby lowfly on Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:42 pm

ML2008 wrote:A very timely piece of advice that AOF, as I only today went down to Repco and picked up a can of MASS cleaner, plus a new air filter, will not change over the filter or clean the MAFF sensor until I get a can of Lano Tec-GP and do the job all in one go.
I created a big laugh on the other side of the counter, when with a slip of the tongue asked for Muff Cleaner,
it must have been the devil in me :evil: :lol:

Did they have any :lol:
lowfly

Postby ML2008 on Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:22 pm

If they did, it wasn't put on the counter, maybe it should have been Lanotec GP :shock: :lol:
ML2008
Platinum Subscriber

Postby tjhastings on Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:30 am

For months and many dollars at Mitsubishi I have been trying to get rid of a intermittent Smoke problem that I have a letter from the EPA over. The dealer has serviced it, replaced a timing belt , adjusted tappets, replaced the EGR Valve all to get rid of a smoking problem under acceleration. I spent a couple of hours here yesterday and discovered the MAF sensor. Bought some cleaning spray on the way home last night , and 5 minutes of servicing and ...... NO F.g SMOKE this morning. Hope it stays that way

Thanks yousall

Terry

p.s Ill drop this note in the other two threads as well
tjhastings

Postby hvac guy on Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:53 pm

Tweak the pins too you are not alone on this issue and has popped up now and then on new cars.
I AM THE ONE WHO KNOCKS.
hvac guy
Platinum Subscriber

Previous

Return to Tips & Tricks