MN Triton GL-R Grill removal / install

Postby Crash486 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 7:56 pm

If your grill looks like this one below maybe this will assist you in removing it if the need arises.
**If you break something don't blame me :oops:
Click to view larger picture

Here is a pic of the scrivets (I think thay are called) that need to be removed from the top of the grill.
All you have to do is lever up the centre pin, then you can grasp the body and remove the entire clip. There are lots of these things all through the Triton in various sizes.

To remove the grill you now have to get your finger through the botton slots on the grill and pull directly forward. The plastic is sharp so take care.
You can see the scrivet holes (black circle) at the top and the tabs at the bottom (yellow circle)

Here is a shot of what you are removing the grill from, scrivet holes (black) at the top, tabs (yellow) at the bottom.

Install proceedure
Push the bottom tabs into the locating slots
Push the unbroken scrivets :roll: back into their positions
job done.
Crash486

Re: MN Triton GL-R Grill removal / install

Postby NowForThe5th on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:00 pm

Excellent post, Crash. This one needs to go in the Forum Directory.
Chris

If work is so terrific, why do they have to pay us to do it?
NowForThe5th

Postby Crash486 on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:05 pm

Starting small. The next one will be for HID upgrade so I needed the grill removal first :)
Crash486

Postby Cowboy Dave on Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:19 pm

Good man. I could have done something like this ages ago but I might have had to explain the clips I snapped at the bottom and that scratch across my triple diamond logo so I kind of gave up on it as too embarrassing :oops: :oops:
The Hitchhiker's guide to the the Triton universe and NTN.

A how to on finding your own way - search me.

The two threads I wish people would use more: thing 1 and thing 2.
Cowboy Dave

Postby snowman on Sun Jul 31, 2011 10:23 pm

nice one crash. :D off to the directory you go.
This car is like a bad drug habit. It is taking all my money and time, my family are concerned, but new mods just feel sooooooo good.
snowman
Platinum Subscriber

Postby daryn on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:45 am

Moving to Tips and Tricks.
daryn
Valued Contributor

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:01 am

That looks the same as the ML procedure on the two little grill air ducts.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Crash486 on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:07 pm

Figured it might be very similar given it would be easier that way for Mitsu but seeing as I had to do it, thought I may as well doco it for the next GL-R poverty pack owner :) .
Crash486

Postby Homer on Mon Aug 01, 2011 5:38 pm

Don't get me wrong...good job mate. No one knew until you posted ;) Good job on the hid thread too 8-)
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby Chris. on Fri Apr 19, 2013 8:32 am

Can anyone confirm if the GLX-R grill is the same fit as the GLX/GL-R grill, can you easily remove a GL-R grill & install a GLX-R grill in its place?
Chris.

Postby mattz on Fri Apr 19, 2013 9:01 am

:oops:
Last edited by mattz on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:21 am

Hang on - mn glxr grille is one piece. Thread is mn. Is it the mn you mean? Would help to have a pic of which grille you're wanting to remove.

Cowboy Dave

Postby mattz on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:05 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Hang on - mn glxr grille is one piece. Thread is mn. Is it the mn you mean? Would help to have a pic of which grille you're wanting to remove.

It will be if he's talking gl-r.

I thought it was two piece like the ml....... My bad.
Sorry for any confusion.
I'll delete my post above. :oops:
THE ONLY DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A MAN AND A BOY IS
THE PRICE OF HIS TOYS
mattz

Postby Chris. on Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:16 am

Cowboy Dave wrote:Hang on - mn glxr grille is one piece. Thread is mn. Is it the mn you mean? Would help to have a pic of which grille you're wanting to remove.

My apologies, I should have been clearer, I have a GLX MN. I would like to install a GLX-R MN grill. Is that possible without changing the bumper, just swap the grills?
Chris.

Postby Cowboy Dave on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:37 pm

Does it look like the one at the top of this page? If so it looks awfully similar to the GLXR size and shape - while I haven't done it I reckon the answer would be yes. Maybe try and meet up with a local GLXR owner?

Cowboy Dave

Postby Chris. on Fri Apr 19, 2013 12:53 pm

Cowboy Dave wrote:Does it look like the one at the top of this page? If so it looks awfully similar to the GLXR size and shape - while I haven't done it I reckon the answer would be yes. Maybe try and meet up with a local GLXR owner?

Yeah I'm pretty sure the GLX & GLR both have the same grill. I'll ask Mitsi spare parts.
Chris.

Postby oldplodder on Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:07 pm

Yep, looks the same and comes off the same as my GLX grill.

2012 MN dual cab.
oldplodder
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Twitch94 on Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:40 pm

Just bought some Angel lights,

needed the grill off, and this thread helped ALOT!

Thanks heaps boys!
Twitch94

Postby jrs184 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:29 pm

NowForThe5th wrote:Excellent post, Crash. This one needs to go in the Forum Directory.

The 2 piece insert type grill, one each side of the centre Mitsu diamonds on my 2006 ML GLXR has completely different clips. tried for an hour today and can't budge them. The 2 scrivets on top come out easy, but the 2 clips on bottom, 2 clips on side of centre, and single slotted clip on outside edge bottom corner don't move, I put a 400mm screwdriver underneath to try and prise the spring part of the clip up as I pulled towards the front as another thread says and the whole insert and rest of grill just moves forward like it is going to shatter. Do I have to just rip it out with this model and buy replacements... John
jrs184

Postby jrs184 on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:35 pm

Homer wrote:That looks the same as the ML procedure on the two little grill air ducts.

completely different on ML glxr, more clips in different position and 2 different types and I wasted an hour trying to move them without success, there is some photos of them on U tube but and description . John.
jrs184

Postby jrs184 on Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:39 am

Crash486 wrote:If your grill looks like this one below maybe this will assist you in removing it if the need arises.
**If you break something don't blame me :oops:

Here is a pic of the scrivets (I think thay are called) that need to be removed from the top of the grill.
All you have to do is lever up the centre pin, then you can grasp the body and remove the entire clip. There are lots of these things all through the Triton in various sizes.

To remove the grill you now have to get your finger through the botton slots on the grill and pull directly forward. The plastic is sharp so take care.
You can see the scrivet holes (black circle) at the top and the tabs at the bottom (yellow circle)

Here is a shot of what you are removing the grill from, scrivet holes (black) at the top, tabs (yellow) at the bottom.

Install proceedure
Push the bottom tabs into the locating slots
Push the unbroken scrivets :roll: back into their positions
job done.

Thanks but totally different grill to the 2006 ML glxr, different clips, locations and quantity ..this one would be a breeze.
jrs184

Postby fridgie on Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm really not seeing the issue :?

Remove 'scrivets', grab grille closer to the centre of bar than lights as there is a clip that separates vertically on the headlight sides. If possible get fingers through/behind grille to release tabs... Pull forward from car to release clips then vertically to remove grille from final clip.
I'm not so good with the advice :oops: ... Can I interest you in a sarcastic comment??? :twisted:

FORUM DIRECTORY - Click here

SEARCH TUTORIAL - Click here

MY TRITON - SEE IT HERE
fridgie

Postby jrs184 on Wed Feb 25, 2015 7:57 pm

jrs184 wrote:
NowForThe5th wrote:Excellent post, Crash. This one needs to go in the Forum Directory.

The 2 piece insert type grill, one each side of the centre Mitsu diamonds on my 2006 ML GLXR has completely different clips. tried for an hour today and can't budge them. The 2 scrivets on top come out easy, but the 2 clips on bottom, 2 clips on side of centre, and single slotted clip on outside edge bottom corner don't move, I put a 400mm screwdriver underneath to try and prise the spring part of the clip up as I pulled towards the front as another thread says and the whole insert and rest of grill just moves forward like it is going to shatter. Do I have to just rip it out with this model and buy replacements... John

Well another hour spent with my insert removal and finally worked it out. No wonder they changed to tabs rather than the clips on this model. So not only the flexible part of the clip but the 2 small raised ridges on the other side to the clip cuts into the plastic of the receiving grill slot and binds the whole insert to the grill, and the clip burrs the other side of the slot over time making a larger ridge for it to be prised out over. It feels like it is welded in place. Btw I tried the allan key method in the u-tube example and this would prob work when the car was new, but over 8 years of heat and vibration and the designers could not have anticipated this .....I de-burred the receiving slot of the ridge cuts and the raised surface of the other side with a sharp knife to facilitate re-assembly and for the next removal, all this was done to fit my new thermo fan. I am going to wire it in to the dash to assist hot weather towing and to give the aircon a boost at the same time. I can watch the temp on my gauge to see when it will be required. The bash plate had some attention as well, drilled 20-10mm holes in the LH front that has no flutes and moved the number plate up 20mm to give some more air flow. Anyone know why they only fluted the 2 RH front parts of the bash plate and left the other blank. Will post again with the results.. John
jrs184

Postby viking shippy on Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:05 pm

I had the delivery of two ml grills today before I installed them I ground of the offending notch but left the entire tab that slots into the front panel ..it works great and is easy to remove ...stays in place quite snug...I have removed my old one by having somebody help me and I took of the lower panel to get my had up from underneath... But still suck seeded in breaking some tabs of...
viking shippy

Postby jrs184 on Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:29 pm

viking shippy wrote:I had the delivery of two ml grills today before I installed them I ground of the offending notch but left the entire tab that slots into the front panel ..it works great and is easy to remove ...stays in place quite snug...I have removed my old one by having somebody help me and I took of the lower panel to get my had up from underneath... But still suck seeded in breaking some tabs of...

I didn't want to break my clips which is why I persisted, wonder why they don't use a sacrificial connector like a cable tie on these types of body parts. Cut the ties, remove the parts, do your job, put it back and zip it together, would save a heap of aggravation. Genuine scrivets $8 each at the stealers, $2 from Thailand...John
jrs184

Return to Tips & Tricks