Tyre Survey

Need something to get you rolling?

Tyre Survey

Postby g_mac on Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:56 am

What Size? LT255/65R17 114Q - as far as I'm aware, only legal LT MT for the MN Triton in Qld?

Brand? Maxxis Bighorn

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) LT MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Noisier than I was hoping... but to be expected

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Brand new but will update shortly

Price per tyre? (if you want) $289ea (f+b) x 5

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) Brand new
2010 MN GLXR... I shall call her 'Tray-cey'

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
g_mac

Re: Tyre Survey

Postby coxy47 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:34 pm

What Size? 245/70 R16

Brand? Pirelli Scorpion STR

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) H/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Brilliant on road, grip is good both wet and dry with minimal noise.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) On sand theyre good, dirt - bearable but not great, mud - grip is pretty much nonexistent

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) havent had them long as they came on the truck when i bought it second hand but over the couple of thousand k's they seem to be all good apart though i did get a puncture on their first outing on rocks

Would you buy again? If i ever get sick of driving in the dirt and mud definitely as i believe you would struggle to find a better tyre on road.
coxy47

Postby Homer on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:08 pm

What Size? 265/75R16

Brand? Kumho KL71

Style? MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Average grip - not horrible. Noise - well I hear them, but I'm used to quiet AT tyres and wouldn't consider MT's for road use.

Handle off road? VERY good in both mud and on rocky stuff...rarely use my locker.

Wear & Tear? Pretty soft so don't think they'd last too long if you drive every day on them - also directional so makes daily driving not a great option for wear.
I've hit some shit and not damaged them too much but not an expert on that. Have side wall cuts but no punctures.

Would you buy again? They will probably be my next MT unless I go up a level (I reckon they are up the pointy end of "normal" muddies) and go centipedes or something - or they go up in price as I've heard they are doing.
I hate to advocate drugs, sex, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they’ve always worked for me.

Everything you want to find or know about the Triton - click here
Easy how to search on this site - click here
Homer
Valued Contributor

Postby tezza08 on Tue Apr 26, 2011 6:32 pm

What Size? 265/75R16

Brand? MAXXIS BUCKSHOT MUDDER
Style? MT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) .find them very god for grip on road in dry or wet, yes thay are noisiy but not as loud as induction noise from snorckle with window down :twisted:

Handle off road? dig a bit to much in sand and a bit drifty on fast gravel but very good in mud :D
Wear & Tear? got 70k out of a set of 33's on my old hilux so hope to get the same ;)

Would you buy again? i did :lol:
Growing old is mandatory, Growing up is optional! :twisted:
tezza08

Postby fraz91 on Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:33 pm

What Size? 265/70 R17

Brand? BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A

Style? LT, Aggressive AT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Arguably quieter than the stock duellers. grip is fantastic, just have to find what the best pressure is for them (currently running 40psi all round, and the tyre is a little too rounded for my liking)

Handle off road? For an AT tyre they're fantastic. couple of friends have the Coopers ATR's and the BFG makes mince-meat out of the ATR.

Wear & Tear? Have only done about 1000kms so far, but the nipples are still all there, so can't complain about them. That being said, a friend's dad got 120,000kms out of a set on a '00 100series. drove around Aus. about 5 or 6 times with them, and still uses two of them as the spares.

Would you buy again? They are pricey (cheapest i could find was $330/tyre) but if they last as long as those on the 100series then i'll definitely consider them. Also depends on whether or not I decide i want a more aggressive style (MT/Crawler) or not.

See the build up of my old Triton here.
fraz91

Postby chick_magnet_0001 on Wed May 04, 2011 3:14 pm

What Size 245/70/16

Brand BFG

Style? AT

Handle on Road? handle great on road, the tires out drive the stock suspension, and their only very slightly louder then the 205 ht originals i had. i run 44psi in the front and 40psi in the rear

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) handle great off road for something that gets flogged a bit on the gravel they have no noticeable chips/nicks. 16psi all round on the sand has seen me go everywhere, and 20-22psi in the front and 16psi in the rear when off road at 4x4 parks has seen them surprising perform pretty well in mud and fairly good in the rock and shale stuff

Price per tyre? $295 i think :oops:

Wear & Tear? 30k now and probly 33% worn with rotations every 7.5 to 10k and it gets driven like a race car through corners :) ;)

would you buy them again? yes with out a doubt i think these are the best all round tyre, sand/ mud/ road/ gravel/ rock these tyres perform well if your sensible in the 4x4 department
COME ON FULL NOISE!!!!
Recovered:
Jop at scenic rim
Homer at janowen Hills
Homer at janowen Hills (3mins later)
Recovered
by fridgie 4wd Training Day... "shakes head" i woulda made it
chick_magnet_0001

Postby mr manfringinsen on Sat May 07, 2011 2:14 pm

What Size? 265/75/16

Brand? Firestone Destination

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) The sort of grip I expected from an A/T on road, I can get them howling with vigorous braking, cornering. No noise to speak of during normal use.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) The sort of grip I expected from an A/T off road. Quite good for gravel/dirt/rock. Never tried them on sand or mud. I expect they are too narrow for sand. As soon as the treads on any tire are full of mud you've got bugger all grip. That why people buy muddies.

Price per tyre? (if you want) $248ea at Jax

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) There are two models of construction, The passenger and Light Truck. The Passenger comes with a 90000km warranty, I expect similar 'kilometerage' out of the L/T's I got.

They are a fairly narrow tire at the tread. I will get a picture up at the 20000km update. They are a fairly hard compound which is what I would expect from a tire with a 90000k warranty. That means they aren't super grippy on the road or in the wet. It is nice to have a larger diameter tire for the higher gearing and better ride rolling over bumps.
Half the people you know are below average.
mr manfringinsen

Postby Stevo8 on Mon May 23, 2011 10:49 am

GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC[i][/i]
Ok have had these on for a while now so can leave some feedback

What Size? 265/75 16

Brand? Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T M/t kind of in between

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Grip - really well on road Grip really well on wet bitumen. Very impressed with braking in the wet towing. And accelerating in the wet grip is excellent.
Noise - pleasantly suprised. Near silent to about 70 kph then light hum at 100 kph.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Seem good, clear well in mud. Bit noisier on the gravel roads but acceptable

Price per tyre? (if you want)

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) Wearing ok but can't estimate yet

I will buy these tyres again!!!!
Stevo8

Postby bobtriton on Tue May 24, 2011 1:57 am

What Size? 235/85/16 32" tire

Brand? BF Goodrich Mud Terrain KM2

Style? M/T

Handle on Road? Good even on wet roads, it is just a bit slow from start because of 32" heigth, but once in 2nd gear they run great!

Handle off road? Very good, on dry land, mud or climing, is really a great tire.

Price per tyre? I paid Mexican pesos, but it was expensive.

Wear & Tear? Wear evenly, I rotate them every 10k kms.

Would buy again? Yes
bobtriton

Postby Klink on Sun May 29, 2011 6:38 pm

After going for a descent hike up to Kurrajong Heights for a little off roading and then off to Mt Wilson for a for a drive in the wet up in to Blue Mountains, I think I can give some valueation on my Coopers

What Size? 265/70/R17

Brand? Cooper Zeon LTZ's

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) LT

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Grip in Dry and Wet are awsome. Noise - Zero. So happy

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) So far so good on a fire trail

Price per tyre? (if you want) Traded in my factories. Full price $340

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) To early to say after 450kms

Im very happy so far with these tyres
Its Klink..........not Clink!
Klink

Postby Adz on Mon May 30, 2011 11:57 am

Size: 265/70/17
Brand: Dick Cepek FC-II
Style: A/T's
Handle on road: Excellent, not much noisier than the H/T's
Handle off Road: Excellent
Wear & Tear: Only a couple of weeks old, but have been told I'll get 80,000-100,000km's
Price: $372.00 per corner :shock:
Does Spare fit Y/N: Yes
Overall Diameter: 805.18mm

I am extremely happy with these tyres!! At least my triton is starting to look like a decent off-road vehicle! :lol:
Now just have to save the cash for a lift kit & bullbar! ;)
You can sit there complaining, or you can knit me some seat belts.
Adz

Postby elmpty on Mon May 30, 2011 5:30 pm

I put cooper stt (mud terain) 245/75/16 on my mn since new, 10000km ago.
All i can say is DONT GO THERE!
They are very noisey, they vibrate, and over 80km/hr there is a wobble, i put the stockies back on to see the difference and its definately the tyres. They handle ok on road, very good on dirt and certainly grippy in the mud but this doesnt make up for the other stuff.
At $260 odd each never again!
elmpty

Postby fraz91 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 11:58 am

UPDATE:

What Size? 265/70R17

Brand? BFG AT

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) L/T, Aggressive A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise): Grip is phenomenal. Can't get em to howl in the dry. Little slippy in the wet but just have to engage the front wheels and that goes away. They're relatively quiet, don't hear them over the sound of the engine or wind noise on the highway.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise): For an AT they grip pretty damn well in the mud. Took them to the menai playground after some heavy rain and was having little to no issues when my mates on Coopers ATR's were sliding around. Grip well on rocks (even better so when i let the pressures down :lol: ). Haven't tried sand yet.

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing): Am running 38psi on the front and 35psi on the back and seem to be wearing fairly evenly. Have done about 5000kms and most of the nipples are still on the sides. There's also a slight line still down the centre, and only a couple of nipples left. Wearing fantastically considering how hard i am on them.

fraz91

Postby shotgun283 on Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:34 pm

Size 255/65/17

Brand Bridgestone

Style D694LT AT

price $350ea :?

only got them today, quiet on the road, lots more steering feedback now which is anoying, time will tell on handling and grip. Got these to stay legal in SA (for now). lot are saying i should have got 16in wheels and tyres but i see alot in here are happy with the 17in
LIFE'S TO SHORT
shotgun283

Postby headake on Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:00 pm

UAV wrote:What Size; 255/85/16 (33.3)

Brand; maxxis bighorn

Style; muddie

Handle on Road; little noisy on road. Handle pretty good for a 33" muddie on road and not much different to the coopers in the wet.

Handle off road; Sensational offroad. The bag extremely well when aired down and provide excellent traction in doing so. Had them on in the high country recently where a mate had new 285 coopers and his were all cut up after a few rocky tracks and the bighorns were hardly damaged at all.

Price per tyre; I paid approx $180 each 2nd hand 95%

Wear & Tear; only done about 5k on them and seem to be wearing well. But these are not my daily tyres.

hey mate looking at getting these as my play tires bobjane is out tho at moment, looking at them in the 265/75/16 as i read somewhere on here that someone else runs them on that size with no lift.
how do you rate them as bobj has quoted $290 new each tire
I MAKE KIDS CRY
headake

Postby josh_cod on Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:22 pm

What Size? 265/75/16
Brand? Cooper
Style? ST Maxx
Handle on Road? Great, the difference between these and the original tyres is hardly noticable. Really quiet for the amount of tread on them.
Handle off road? I will update after I have played abit.
Price per tyre? $330
Wear & Tear? Only installed them yesterday, I will update later
Cheers,
Josh
josh_cod

Postby RHKTriton on Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:46 am

Had my Maxxis 771 255 70 16s for a couple of days now.

Quieter than HTs
Seem to stick good in the wet, yet to test in the wild.
Tread very similar to Brig 694s and just a bit deeper.

Got em with wheel alignment just over $900.
Don't let the b'strds get you down!!
RHKTriton
Platinum Subscriber

Postby Gavatron on Fri Jul 08, 2011 6:26 pm

coxy47 wrote:What Size? 245/70 R16

Brand? Pirelli Scorpion STR

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) H/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Brilliant on road, grip is good both wet and dry with minimal noise.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) On sand theyre good, dirt - bearable but not great, mud - grip is pretty much nonexistent

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) havent had them long as they came on the truck when i bought it second hand but over the couple of thousand k's they seem to be all good apart though i did get a puncture on their first outing on rocks

Would you buy again? If i ever get sick of driving in the dirt and mud definitely as i believe you would struggle to find a better tyre on road.

i take delivery of my triton in 2 weeks cant wait .. but i have these on my d22 and i cant agree more they are simply unbeatable on tarmac found them fine on dirt/ gravel aswell
Gavatron

Postby T_Dogga90 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:42 pm

hey guys i have been looking at this thread for a while now. i am just after some opinions on a good tyre that handles well on the bitumen as i drive a lot of kms towing a chippies trailer, but im also after a tyre that runs great in the sand and on dirt. dont do anything extreme or in the mud really.

if any one has any ideas i would love to hear them :)
T_Dogga90

Postby ag9111 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:15 pm

D694's seem to be getting a bit of a rave by everybody
I love cats, but I couldn't eat a full one!

Mud is like unprotected sex
30 secs of fun for a lifetime of grief
ag9111
Platinum Subscriber

Postby fraz91 on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:20 pm

the D694's would probably be the way to go for you, simply by the way everyone else raves about them. Personally i'm a BFG AT fan, but they are much more of a 50/50 AT than your standard 60/40 or 70/30 road/offroad all terrain.

fraz91

Postby buddah on Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:56 pm

What Size? 265/75/R16

Brand? Cooper Discoverer S/T

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) 60/40 A/T.

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Grip is good on both wet and dry roads, Noiser then Bridgestone D694's but not too bad.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Awesome, really impressed, they easily kept up with my mates STT's in Mud and Snow.

Price per tyre? (if you want) $320.

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing) Too early to tell, but they warrant them for 80K's so if I get 60K's I'll be happy.
buddah

Postby outmen on Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:03 pm

Pick my car up in 2 days, swapped out the stock h/t's for some d694 245/70/16 and price is fair at $250 a corner. :mrgreen: I went with the bridgestones, but alot like the bfg at's .
If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of payments.
outmen

Postby coxy47 on Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:35 am

What Size? 245/70/R16

Brand? Cooper Discoverer A/T3 LT

Style? (L/T,A/T, Claws, M/T) A/T

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Grips well in both wet and dry conditions as they are a soft compound. Does produce some noise but not much more then a H/T.

Handle off road? (Grip/Noise) Off road these tyres are spectacular for an A/T. The grip in sand is good though they do dig down a bit. On dirt and mud they easily keep up with other more aggressive tread patterns.

Price per tyre? (if you want) $300 fitted and balanced

Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing): only had them on for about 4000km and wear appears to be minimal and they are warranted to 80000km. Only concern is that the softer compound may wear a bit quicker with on road use (i expect 60000 to 70000km though).

Would you buy again?: If looking for a reasonably aggressive A/T tyre it would be hard to go past these tyres.
coxy47

Postby ken_gilchrist on Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:10 pm

What Size? 265/70/R17

Brand? Micky Thompson FC-II
Style? A/T 70-30

Handle on Road? (Grip/noise) Good on road grip, no rain up here yet to comment on wet weather performance . Road noise is slightly louder than standard but the improved stance easily makes up for it.
Handle off road? Not yet
Price per tyre? Normaly $420, but $320 with a rebate on the standard tyres
Wear & Tear? (how are they wearing): To early ot tell yet, but 80K KM garantee. :lol:
Would you buy again?: I reckon
ken_gilchrist

PreviousNext

Return to Tyres & Wheels